What would you do ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I recently had a health scare everything turned out fine but it got me thinking . If you found out you had a serious health issue that could possibly be fatal what would you do differently ? Would you continue to LBYM or would you rachet up your fun spending ? Besides financially what would you do ? Around the world cruise ? Or just continue life as you've been living it ?

I recently had a health scare everything turned out fine but it got me thinking . If you found out you had a serious health issue that could possibly be fatal what would you do differently ? Would you continue to LBYM or would you rachet up your fun spending ? Besides financially what would you do ? Around the world cruise ? Or just continue life as you've been living it ?

Depends if it was only me left and there was a good chance I would die in x years then ya I would live it up for the hell of it. However if my wife was left I doubt I would do much of anything different. I would not want to screw up the rest of her life.

My sister did that, and for the last 6 and a half years of her life, she put in about 50 years of living. She said very succinctly to me: "I might as well have fun now, I don't know how LONG the fun will last"............

Depends if it was only me left and there was a good chance I would die in x years then ya I would live it up for the hell of it. However if my wife was left I doubt I would do much of anything different. I would not want to screw up the rest of her life.

I agree. Once I knew my widow would be financially OK after I checked out, then we would go take as many dream vacations as possible with the leftovers before I became too sick to travel.

My sister did that, and for the last 6 and a half years of her life, she put in about 50 years of living. She said very succinctly to me: "I might as well have fun now, I don't know how LONG the fun will last"............

My brother did the same thing . He had a heart transplant and crammed a lot of living into his final years .

Gosh Moe, I'm glad you're ok.

I keep thinking about that guy in London. He was told he had six months to live. He went into a spending frenzy. Turns out the diagnosis was wrong.

I've always wanted to go to New York, so I'd probably treat myself. But, then I would get back down to earth and spend time with the few family members and friends that I have left. That would be priceless.

Knowing that I could leave them money for their future would be enough for me.

Other than quitting work, I would just continue to live life as I am living it. The only difference would be that I would see an attorney and make sure my estate was set up properly and everything was in order.

Thank goodness you are all right!! Me too, and I don't anticipate having to make such decisions for several decades (hopefully).

Well, since I am incessantly hit with banner ads here for it, I would probably obey the advertising monkey and move to Marigold Creek, a community for gays and lesbians.

Then I would probably live it up, subject to making sure my survivors were well cared for. Sign up for all the insurance that pays my credit cards off when I kick and max 'em out.

Well, since I am incessantly hit with banner ads here for it, I would probably obey the advertising monkey and move to Marigold Creek, a community for gays and lesbians.

Then I would probably live it up, subject to making sure my survivors were well cared for. Sign up for all the insurance that pays my credit cards off when I kick and max 'em out.

:2funny:

Same here, but I like the idea of getting insurance on the CC balances and then maxing them out. Irresponsibility can be such fun.

Hmmm... have to read the fine print on that and think through the paper trail of "what did I know and when did I know it"... are preexisting conditions excluded - probably - otherwise they might come after DW anyway. It comes close to committing provable fraud then all bets are off.

Sell all the light fixtures and appliances out of [-]the bank's[/-] my house... :p

Then go find that medical marijuana facility... O0

Get a second and third opinion.

Have a potlatch.

Buy a small RV and travel around the country.

Give away money to small, local endeavors.

First, I am very glad that you are OK!

Here is what I would do. I would hug more, kiss more, and tell more people more about how much they mean to me.

I would be sure to see what was before me, hear what was falling on my ears, and notice the air on my skin, the pavement under my feet, and the sky above my head.

That is what I would do.

Ha

Sell all the light fixtures and appliances out of [-]the bank's[/-] my house... :p

Then go find that medical marijuana facility... O0

If I had cancer I would go visit Mr. Willie Nelson and Mr. Woody Harrison and play on their kind side and just maybe they could turn me on to some FREE HEMP.

I would play this song for my wife one last time.
YouTube - You Had Me Fron Hello

Other then that I would sit back and listen to some good old country & western music like some David Allen Coe, Willie, Waylon, Cash, June, Tom T., Johnny Russell, Kitty, the Silver Fox, the Hag, Bob Willis, Conway, George, Tammy, Frizzell, Buck, Yoakam, Hank, etc..,etc..... then I would quietly ride off into the sunset to meet my maker.

YouTube - You Never Even Called Me By My Name!

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

Last edited:
It is fun to think what we'd do in these circumstances, but the reality is usually far different from our imagined plans. I suspect most who are faced with some sort of life threatening illness spend a majority of their time fighting the disease and using most if not all of their strength to do so.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. A good friend dying from a brain tumor went on a cruise with his wife less than three weeks prior to his death, but I don't think his final days were necessarily typical. My guess is that my brother, currently in the last stages of lung cancer, is more likely to be the norm. He's spent the last few months battling the disease and spending as much time as possible with friends and relatives, saying goodbye without actually using the phrase.

Thanks all , I'm fine after a few scarey days . These scares do make you realize that anything can happen . I'd be much more spontaneous and travel on a moments notice and treat all my friends and family to a great vacation and tell them all how much I love them . Max out my credit cards ? Tempting but not my style !

Until your post I never noticed that ad. Someday if I become extremely bored, I may even open and read it. I don't expect to become that bored in the near future.

If I had cancer I would go visit Mr. Willie Nelson and Mr. Woody Harrison and play on their kind side and just maybe they could turn me on to some FREE HEMP.

I would play this song for my wife one last time.
YouTube - You Had Me Fron Hello

Other then that I would sit back and listen to some good old country & western music like some David Allen Coe, Willie, Waylon, Cash, June, Tom T., Johnny Russell, Kitty, the Silver Fox, the Hag, Bob Willis, Conway, George, Tammy, Frizzell, Buck, Yoakam, Hank, etc..,etc..... then I would quietly ride off into the sunset to meet my maker.

YouTube - You Never Even Called Me By My Name!

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

I'd visit Mr. Tim Mc Graw " Live like you are dying "

Sign up for all the insurance that pays my credit cards off when I kick and max 'em out.

.........I like the idea of getting insurance on the CC balances and then maxing them out.

The factory credit union that my Dad and all of his co-workers used, automatically marked your balance 'paid' if you kicked the bucket before getting your loan(s) paid off. Our neighbor across the street found out he only had a few months to live, so he wanted to be sure that his widow wouldn't have to make any major purchases for many years to come. He bought a new car, to replace his 15-20 year old clunker. Then he went over to the local appliance store and purchased all new appliances....refrigerator, washer, dryer, & stove. He also had the water heater and the furnace replaced, and a new roof put on. All were paid for with loans at the CU. He died about 2 months later.....and everything was marked off as 'paid'.

As for myself....I'd just try to make sure my survivors were taken care of......my term life policy will see to that.

Until your post I never noticed that ad. Someday if I become extremely bored, I may even open and read it. I don't expect to become that bored in the near future.

Oh, I am both easily bored and have lots of unpleasant tasks to procrastinate on, so I have already looked up the website. Looks like a nice place, assuming you are a gay or lesbian retiree.

First, I am very glad that you are OK!

Here is what I would do. I would hug more, kiss more, and tell more people more about how much they mean to me.

I would be sure to see what was before me, hear what was falling on my ears, and notice the air on my skin, the pavement under my feet, and the sky above my head.

That is what I would do.

Ha

Am also very glad it was just a scare. Do you feel it was a near miss? I'm curious if you feel changed in any way by the experience?

Ha, what you've written is very wise. So much of what is meaningful in my life is the time spent with family and friends, my dog, taking a hike on a lovely day, etc. etc. I loved going to Tanzania on safari, but the thrills were not as meaningful to me as the long conversation I had with my grown son last weekend.

If I were fatally ill I think I would try to go deeper into my everyday life.

Am also very glad it was just a scare. Do you feel it was a near miss? I'm curious if you feel changed in any way by the experience?

Thanks , I was more changed by the sudden death of my son . This scare just reenforced those feelings .

Back
Top Bottom