Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's all about "price points." If appliances still were made to the standards which allowed them to last 25 years, dishwashers probably would cost $5,000.00 and people would start investing in towels, dish drainers, and elbow grease, just like when I was little.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Is anyone else outraged that appliances only last 5 years (or less) these days?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Replace.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Mr. Pack - you and I often think alike. I did, in fact, go right to You-tube and try various suggestions in videos. Alas, none of them worked. (Because we hadn't decided whether to call in a repairman, we didn't want to really get in there, take stuff apart and maybe ruin something).

Amethyst
You're way ahead of me, no surprise. I'd replace it then.

It is too bad that we seemingly can't buy better appliances these days even at a premium. I am usually much more interested in value/lifetime cost than cheapest purchase price (usually not the best value). When we researched kitchen appliances last year for our kitchen remodel, there didn't seem to be any correlation between price and reliability. To my surprise, many of the costly "upscale" appliance brands fared worse in terms of reliability than the commodity appliance brands according to Consumer Reports.

Though since you plan to sell your home, understandably you'll want to keep spending down.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #24

Do you know WHY it stopped working? Are you getting any Error Codes?

I have a top of the line Electrolux that was not very old ( 3 years maybe). Last year it stopped working. Would not turn on and displayed an Error Code 1 = Water leak. Called my service guy. He confirmed no standing water anywhere and said he couldn't fix it. He said, I would have to buy a new circuit board, etc. and suggested I buy a new one. I was pissed as this thing was like $1,200 dollars or more.
I called the Electrolux technical department. She walked me thru a few steps. Take off metal plate from bottom, confirm "water leak" light is on. Put a fan in front of it, dry out the sensor. I was shocked when after a couple of hours of blowing air under it, it worked! I've had to do this a couple of more times since. I'm just a regular homeowner.

It may be worth a call to Maytag technical service if you have been able to trouble shoot it and if you have not already done so. Chances are they have run across the issue before.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've heard so many stories about the electronics going out (not the mechanics) and it costing hundreds just to install a new board.
That was our problem with the double oven. How many companies keep PC boards at low prices for 17 years? And tech moves on. Our new Kitchen Aid oven has some nice features like better interior lighting, easy cleaning interior, better electronics organization, etc.

BTW, if you use the self cleaning feature it is best to only use it sparingly as that is a good way to age the electronics. Electromigration in electronics is a well understood topic but not so easy to design for, I think. Our new oven has a fan just for cooling the PC board.
Quote:
Where are all these "replaced" appliances going? Does somebody at least salvage the metal and other materials?
I asked the install guy and he said the oven was going to a local metal company that took it apart and reclaimed materials.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Me , I had a LG refrigerator die at 4 1/2 years .The GE side by side it replaced is still going strong at 18 years !
Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I had a Maytag dishwasher that had the same problem luckily the dishwasher was still under warranty at that time . I vote replace .
Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #28

I'm with gardenfun on the outrage over the short lifespan of appliances these days. But a lot of the failures seem to be with the electronics - not the actual appliance's main functions.
When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago we chose an oven/range that has NO electronic controls. It's got an electric pilot - but it still works in a power outage. Our thermostat is an old school hanging one. We selected this oven after a friend had hers for over 8 years... so we're pretty sure it will last.

The old mechanical controls are more reliable, IMO, than the electronic controls.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #29

Given that you're going to sell the house soon I'd replace the dishwasher rather than repair it and then have the thing break down again.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just replaced ours.. But lesson learned-- take your plates to the store and be sure they fit! Many of the newer quieter models have smaller insides!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
We just replaced ours.. But lesson learned-- take your plates to the store and be sure they fit! Many of the newer quieter models have smaller insides!
And also glasses you use frequently. We bought a place with a nice German dishwasher and the dinner plates and wine glasses we bought do not fit. We bought different wine glasses, but the plates will have to be hand washed...

The thing is, this is the same brand as a dishwasher we have in another house so we didn't think twice about space. Turns out this is not the American market version but the German version that is just not as tall inside, so there is much less room.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't offer any advice because 40 years ago we were advised since we were on a septic system not to have a garbage disposal or dishwasher. City sewer got installed last year. Dishes still get done by hand and sink debris goes in the trash can. Have never had to have any of the main lines cleaned & before the sewer install, septic tank went 12 years without being pumped (but it was really full when they installed the sewer lines). Gosh...think of all the money we've saved over the years.....LBYM FTW!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My Maytag dishwasher broke Friday . So today we are off to buy a new one . I'm not having a good appliance year .
Old 10-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Can't offer any advice because 40 years ago we were advised since we were on a septic system not to have a garbage disposal or dishwasher. City sewer got installed last year. Dishes still get done by hand and sink debris goes in the trash can. Have never had to have any of the main lines cleaned & before the sewer install, septic tank went 12 years without being pumped (but it was really full when they installed the sewer lines). Gosh...think of all the money we've saved over the years.....LBYM FTW!
We are septic too, and I get the garbage disposal...but dishwasher..it's not really any different then a washing machine. If you live in a cold climate as we do, you need to get your tank pumped regularly anyway. Don't want a few days of low water use or being away from home during sub-zero weather to cause a freeze up in the tank....I know this because we bought a farm one January, left the house winterized but empty while we did some remodeling.
Moved into the house in March and the tank was frozen. We ended up putting in an upgraded system which we probably needed anyway. No damage to the house except what we put down the septic tank came back up thru the drains, if you get my meaning!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #35

Low price replacemet.Shop Frigidaire 62-Decibel Built-In Dishwasher with Hard Food Disposer (White) (Common: 24-in; Actual: 24-in) at Lowes.com
And if not that, many more under $400.

I replaced my own, but see no need for a plumber... a handyman should be able to do the connections easily, as most are standardized, especially if installed in the past 15 or so years. A one hour job.

As for the non-draining dishwasher... check under the sink with a flashlight. If the black rubber drain tube has slipped down below where it goes into the sink drain, it may need propping or tying up a little higher. (one of the cures for "growling dishwasher"). More fixes by searching that term.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you decide to replace, I'd add to the Bosch recommendation. We've had experience with these for a number of years and have had great success- nice and quiet at a reasonable price point. First one we owned was in England around 2000 and we've not used any other brand since then. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

The dishwashers in our homes will last forever, as we only use them as drying racks.

We wash by hand the few things we use after each meal, instead of letting it build up to a dishwasher load.

PS. I remind my wife to run them once every few months to "exercise" them.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #38

My dishwasher is probably 30 years old. No digital displays etc.

As such I would probably repair it if a problem were to develop. I would probably look to a place like repairclinic.com for parts and information. I would also look to ebay for parts. Any time spent the first time repairing the unit will pay dividends on future repairs (ie learning how to take it apart, theory of operation, etc).

This strategy has worked well for me with various devices from the same era (ie furnace, oven) as well as some newer appliances (washer, dryer).

All this being said, the strategy will likely not be appropriate for Amethyst. For others with less constraints, this may be quite viable however.

-gauss
Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just earlier this week, I paid 2x that to have the freaking pool pump replaced. It hurt like crazy, but if algae starts turning the pool into a pond, it hurts even more.
Sorry! Couldn't resist the urge.

-gauss

Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
....we were advised since we were on a septic system not to have a garbage disposal or dishwasher. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We are septic too, and I get the garbage disposal...but dishwasher..it's not really any different then a washing machine. ....
+1 we have a septic and were advised not to have a garbage disposal but we have a dishwasher and no problems. FWIW, I think we could have a garbage disposal as long as we were careful and tried to minimize the grease, fats and oils getting into the system. DW wants one, but I have been resistant since they told us that we shouldn't but my Mom just down the road from us has septic and a garbage disposal and has never had a problem.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliance, dishwasher, repair, repair agreement