Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It sounds like you have a cool family...nice open communication is the key to making things like this work.Lack of communication and hidden agendas mean a lot of families can't make this work,I do agree it's the ideal scenario.
Open communication does make things easier...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nothing. You value family get togethers (way) more than he does for reasons unknown. You shared your POV with him once. It is what it is...
I wouldn't say I value it more or less than him. I would say I'd be more open in communicating with involved family members in how I go about changing things.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sounds like a lovely anniversary for your parents. I am guessing you didn't have to run any of the planning past siblings?
No, I was an only child.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
No, I was an only child.
That would make scheduling a LOT easier.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That would make scheduling a LOT easier.
Yes! Also several other advantages.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
No. Remember-only addressed the issue once with brother. Trying to change his mind would be a waste of both our times.

I'm simply after info on the exact question I asked: What would you do?
I would go the fiftieth anniversary and be a gentleman. The next day when I left I would let brother know that I will be happy to meet up and celebrate 55th with all.

I would excuse myself from every other invitation, and go on with life, which is too short already.

I think this means much more to you. Holding on to it will make it hurt more. So you have to let go of it.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I would go the fiftieth anniversary and be a gentleman. The next day when I left I would let brother know that I will be happy to meet up and celebrate 55th with all.

I would excuse myself from every other invitation, and go on with life, which is too short already.

I think this means much more to you. Holding on to it will make it hurt more. So you have to let go of it.
I'm actually more past it than not. Labor Day was one of the annual weekends-so that dredged it up.

Made me wonder how others would react-especially since I was guilted at first fairly heavily by the parents about needing to be flexible. Until I pointed out just how flexible I've usually been.

Appears how I'm handling is well within the norm. I am planning to continue to be courteous. If something that is mutually convenient comes up I'll entertain the idea of a get together. I'll also continue my annual get together with the parents. He can attend or not. No more rearranging commitments to make things happen. Given my calendar as I start a drug and mental health recovery community center and his increased need for convenience get togethers are unlikely for the foreseeable future!