Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: sell the bag yourself or hand it over to online store
Go with rebagg, a guaranteed bird in the hand. 35 87.50%
Sell yourself, what are you crazy, that's an extra 500 bucks 5 12.50%
other. always have to be an other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hate to burst your bubble but 22 on ebay ranging from 1341 - 2000 with most in the 1341 - 1440 range. Ebay takes 10% fee so you most likely get between 1206 to 1306. Is the $106 worth it? Take the 1200 and move on

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Gorgeous bag but not my style and it sits in my closet most of the time.
(emphasis mine) I am assuming from "most of the time", that you have used this purse at least once.

However lightly it may have been used, I simply CANNOT imagine the mindset of someone who would pay $1200 for a used purse. And yet, apparently people like that really do exist and are looking for them on the internet.

I think I am missing the "expensive purse gene", if there is such a thing. I did find my Favorite Purse Ever a couple of years ago - - this one, which is usually on sale for around $34 on Amazon and that is what I paid. Mine is navy. Oh, and also it was new.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #23

75% of the those bags on eBay have sold for 30% less. Take the cash.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(emphasis mine) I am assuming from "most of the time", that you have used this purse at least once.

However lightly it may have been used, I simply CANNOT imagine the mindset of someone who would pay $1200 for a used purse. And yet, apparently people like that really do exist and are looking for them on the internet.

I think I am missing the "expensive purse gene", if there is such a thing.
\\

I felt the same way until my hair dresser had me sell her Louis Vuitton bag . It was gorgeous and even though it was used I found myself fantasying about that bag .MY LBYM won out but I am going to buy myself a nice bag this year maybe not $1200 but $200 or a little more and I am going to enjoy it .I deserve it .
Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but 22 on ebay ranging from 1341 - 2000 with most in the 1341 - 1440 range. Ebay takes 10% fee so you most likely get between 1206 to 1306. Is the $106 worth it? Take the 1200 and move on
Those are asking prices. You have to look at what the item actually sold for. Which in this case is, 75% of the time, much lower. Take the cash NOW.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I think I am missing the "expensive purse gene", if there is such a thing. I did find my Favorite Purse Ever a couple of years ago - - this one, which is usually on sale for around $34 on Amazon and that is what I paid. Mine is navy. Oh, and also it was new.

LOL people purchase them all the time. It's pretty much like any other vice. my late husband was a huge sports memorabilia specifically fooball stuff. the money he spent on autographed helmets floored me and my best friend, who is the queen of the yard sale EXCEPT for pumps, the women won't spend more than 12 bucks on jeans but will drop 1,000 bucks on a pair of Jimmy choos. go figure.

I'm in love with this bag.

won't buy it at the retail price of $4500 bucks but definitely can understand that someone would..

thanks all, off to send it to rebagg
Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

bclover - I see you are going with the Rebagg offer. As someone who sells a lot on eBay, I agree this is the best move with this particular item. On eBay, these items attract serious buyers, and serious scammers.

Omalley
Old 06-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
LOL people purchase them all the time. It's pretty much like any other vice. my late husband was a huge sports memorabilia specifically fooball stuff. the money he spent on autographed helmets floored me and my best friend, who is the queen of the yard sale EXCEPT for pumps, the women won't spend more than 12 bucks on jeans but will drop 1,000 bucks on a pair of Jimmy choos. go figure.

I'm in love with this bag.
[...]

won't buy it at the retail price of $4500 bucks but definitely can understand that someone would..

thanks all, off to send it to rebagg
I'm not saying it's wrong to like these expensive handbags! If you want that bag, and can afford it, then more power to you. I just don't connect with that sort of handbag at all, myself, so I don't really understand wanting something like that (especially used! eww, for some reason that seems kind of icky to me, even if just lightly used).

I looked for years for just the right one, so I am pretty particular about them too, but in a different way. I just hope they don't stop making mine now that I have found it. Luckily, after two years it looks just like it did the day I bought it. It's really tough and seems to resist water, stains, dirt, and weather, which is one of the many characteristics about it that I like.

Glad you decided to sell it at rebagg! That was my vote and I think it was the best decision.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #29

Something else about those high-end bags. A "slightly used" luxury bag will not show any wear. After 2 or 3 years of near daily use it would look as good or better as a lower end bag after a month's use. It's the same reason a lot of people buy expensive cards on the resale market that are two years old. That high price tag isn't all about a fancy name, but there is good quality underneath all that. (We can all of course debate how much, and yes a huge chunk of the price is because of the brand, the name, advertising, etc.,). Heck even 20 year+ vintage bags will reach several hundreds.

Oh and yeah it's really pretty.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Ya but......its just a bag. It's purpose is to carry your stuff, period. Functionally, a $20 bag from a discount store does the same job. So 99% of the "value" is image.

Disclaimer: I am still using modestly priced purses that I bought 20-30 years ago.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ya but......its just a bag. It's purpose is to carry your stuff, period. Functionally, a $20 bag from a discount store does the same job. So 99% of the "value" is image.

Disclaimer: I am still using modestly priced purses that I bought 20-30 years ago.
We could apply this philosophy to almost everything in our lives, from restaurants to cars to clothing to housing and even travel (as my non-traveling relatives do--why leave home? You can see all those places and things on youtube). Think of the money we would save!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We could apply this philosophy to almost everything in our lives, from restaurants to cars to clothing to housing and even travel (as my non-traveling relatives do--why leave home? You can see all those places and things on youtube). Think of the money we would save!
I realize that. I also understand that everyone values purchases differently. Perhaps the buyers of these expensive purses are all sitting at home watching YouTube travel videos, cycling everywhere and growing their own food, but I doubt it!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #33

I post on a wine forum as well. You should see what kind of money people spend on "grape juice". Some collections are modest, a few thousand dollars, but many are tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #34

Man, if I coulda' sold my kids as easily as a barely used Louie Vuitton bag (and for as much) we'd be on easy street today.

Sell the bag. Grab the cash.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I realize that. I also understand that everyone values purchases differently. Perhaps the buyers of these expensive purses are all sitting at home watching YouTube travel videos, cycling everywhere and growing their own food, but I doubt it!
Maybe, maybe not--you never know. You'd think the market for Louis Vuitton (originally a luggage manufacturer back in the mid-1800s) would include people who like to travel, too.

I don't have the high-end fashion gene but my DIL does. She wears $1.99 Target flipflops one day and those red-soled high heels the next. She could probably appraise the OP's bag in her sleep. I should ask her what she thinks OP should do with it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I am totally unimpressed by exclusive/designer whatever, not to mention my budget not supporting said purchases. YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #37

Quote:

I bought my Michael Kors at 75% off (Black Friday 3 am with Macy's 20% coupon) for $100 3 Novembers ago and still prefer to stick cell / keys in pocket. Missing purse gene
Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
+100

Often a carefully selected low priced bag will hold up nicely for years, do the job, look good, and can be preferable to a high priced bag.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I used to believe I was also missing the expensive purse gene until I sold two Louie Vuitton purses for my hairdresser. The one purse was seven years old and had been used almost daily . It looked brand new . Almost no signs of wear and after seven years it sold for $750 .Try that with an inexpensive purse .
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #40

Just wondering : cost per use? If you pay 2k for an item, use it for 5 yrs, sell it for 750 VERSUS pay 100 use it for 5 yrs, donate to charity, replace. Not that I'm replacing in the forsee able future