Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jay, if they cover you on this and you buy their product for the rest of your life they would probably never recover what they spent and you already moved on to a different brand.
If you have a fair amount of extra time and keep after them you may get the right person who will take care of this for you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
This is the same person that was browbeating us for not buying American and lamenting the fact that all of our manufacturing jobs were going overseas. I guess we had to send them there due to rising costs from customers that should have been fired
Funny how that works, isn't it? And I don't mean 'funny like a clown, funny'... -ERD50

Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
This is the same person that was browbeating us for not buying American and lamenting the fact that all of our manufacturing jobs were going overseas. I guess we had to send them there due to rising costs from customers that should have been fired
As the great Ronald Reagan once said: "there you go again..."
Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all of the replies, they were all pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Wow, how would you feel if someone bought a product or service from you, misused/misapplied it, and then told you and everyone you knew that *you* were crap?

OP, please don't do this. -ERD50
Don't worry, I'm going to stick with my initial intent of sending a very civil letter to both companies of interest explaining my displeasure both with the outcome, but also with the lack of a middle ground for resolution of the matter.

I'm not out to stick it to the man, I was just anticipating that they would stand behind their product a little more (say split the cost of a replacement, I'm already out $80 for tearing down the engine and shipping it, and all I have is a mower deck to show for it).

This wasn't so much a bitch session as a way to reafirm what I already believed.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOh View Post
This wasn't so much a bitch session as a way to reafirm what I already believed.
I hear 'ya. It was some of the follow up advice that was getting my goat a bit.

I can understand that maybe the company should bend a bit and cut the repair price a bit, in order to gain some customer loyalty. I'm guessing that profit margins are just too low for that. I buy a new mower about every ten years - that's a pretty long term investment for the company to make, to *try* to get your business next time. Maybe it would be worth it, maybe not.

The other view on this is - how do you know that their competition is a better value? Even if you feel a bit 'burned', you know what the solution is now (change the oil at 5 hours) - sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't?

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
As the great Ronald Reagan once said: "there you go again..."
Yeah but Sam Donaldson once asked Reagan "Mr President, 90% of american men masturbate in the shower and the other 10% sing a song...do you know what the song is?" and he said "No."

Pretty funny stuff on the oil changes. Except for my compressor I've often gone 3-4 years between oil changes in my mower motors. I see the benefits in an early oil change with a cheap motor that has a lot of poor manufacturing issues, but I've never done one of those either.

Most of them had B&S motors on them, including my el cheapo compressor. I dont think I've ever had a mower die on me, I usually just give them away after 9-10 years when I'm sick of the funny bent handlebars and worn out wheels.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote