Join Early Retirement Today

What would you like to see in Quicken?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What would you like to see in Quicken?

I am participating in Quicken beta program now and if you have any wishes, I'd be happy to communicate them to the product team.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would like to see Quicken Lifetime Planner improved to show taxable, tax-deferred and tax-free funds separately (currently only taxable and tax-deferred) and I would like to see QLP include Monte Carlo simulation or some other stochastic analysis in addition to the current deterministic analysis.

I would also like to be able to print or export Quicken Lifetime Planner results rather than just view them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I would like to see Quicken Lifetime Planner improved to show taxable, tax-deferred and tax-free funds separately (currently only taxable and tax-deferred) and I would like to see QLP include Monte Carlo simulation or some other stochastic analysis in addition to the current deterministic analysis.

I would also like to be able to print or export Quicken Lifetime Planner results rather than just view them.
done

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Occasionally, my portfolio would take a huge drop. After recovering from a near heart attack, I expended the positions and found that one stock or MF would have its price blanked out, and that position had a value of 0.

Pulling up the security detail view screen showed that its price history got all blanked out or totally erased. Updating the price online did not fix it. I had to do a restore from a backup.

This is not a new feature request, but more like a bug report. I should have gone to Quicken to report this but have not. Wonder if anybody has seen the same thing. By the way, this is Quicken 2011 Premier.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Occasionally, my portfolio would take a huge drop. After recovering from a near heart attack, I expended the positions and found that one stock or MF would have its price blanked out, and that position had a value of 0.

Pulling up the security detail view screen showed that its price history got all blanked out or totally erased. Updating the price online did not fix it. I had to do a restore from a backup.

This is not a new feature request, but more like a bug report. I should have gone to Quicken to report this but have not. Wonder if anybody has seen the same thing. By the way, this is Quicken 2011 Premier.
I have seen something similar, sometimes in opposite direction, my portfolio becomes $17 Mil in value. But I think it's more due to the fact of faulty historical price update and is because there was a piece of bad price that made things wrong. I am not sure how this can be addressed by the application itself thou.

If you have so-called "reproducible" case, in other words a specific suspect what makes your portfolio go nuts, please let me know.

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I am participating in Quicken beta program now and if you have any wishes, I'd be happy to communicate them to the product team.
I would like to see the ability to setup an account as a Roth!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:

done
Print the lifetime planner. +1
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I would like to see the ability to setup an account as a Roth!
+1 sort of goes along with having QLP include tax-free in addition to taxable and tax-deferred

Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would like to see Quicken switch to a UI more reliant on common controls instead of their own proprietary, non-standard, and quite frankly less robust controls. This should extend to keystrokes. Control-A is supposed to select all of something, not bring up a separate list of things. Control-W is supposed to close an internal window, like a report, leading back to the underlying window, i.e., the register.

Also, a switch to the Windows ribbon would be preferable to leaving their old menu and toolbar in place. The ribbon is the single best UI enhancement to come around since the mouse.

The other big thing is the mortgages and loans "enhancement" they have imposed on us. That has got to be reversed, and the end-user provided the option to set their own categories for principal, for interest, etc. Locking things down like they have, and imposing Intuit's chosen categories instead of those the end-user has defined, is stupid. Really truly stupid.

Related to that... If I go in to add electronic download to an existing account in Quicken, do NOT put me into the Add Account dialog. They need to do what is necessary to add the download linkage to the existing account, which may have years of records in it, or if they're incapable, then just put up an error message.

One thing they could add for eye candy, if they're looking for new eye candy to sell the product: Dialogs for entering credit card statements that include credits for Cash Back, so you can manage Cash Back as if it were an income stream. (I want to know how much I'm spending on what, and if I don't account for Cash Back credited to my account or used to buy something, then whatever I've applied the Cash Back doesn't get accounted for in my spending analysis, and that's bad.)

One last thing... I've had to move Quicken off of my brand-new Windows 8 desktop onto my four year old Windows 7 laptop, a move that I'm very unhappy about, because of lack of robustness of Quicken 2013 on Windows 8 that Intuit refuses to acknowledge, and for which, when it corrupted my data file (several times), the drones that they have working tech support were utterly unhelpful and generally evasive of responsibility. I get the distinct impression that Quicken does inadequate testing with large, old data files.

Okay I feel better.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #10

When doing the Year-End-Copy function, allow for selection of accounts to have old transactions removed. The last time I did one, Quicken deleted all of my old investment transactions. I only want to delete the old checking and credit card account transactions.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #11

Provide an option that allows unlocking the password vault when you login to the program. This would eliminate one password entry required to update accounts.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I would like to see better / additional asset class categories for securities
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #13

Switched out of Quicken this year because it is not fully featured on Apple computers.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Switched out of Quicken this year because it is not fully featured on Apple computers.
Oh my. Quicken on Mac was terrible when I used it (admittedly), several years ago). I want to go full Apple, but Quicken is the sticking point.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Oh my. Quicken on Mac was terrible when I used it (admittedly), several years ago). I want to go full Apple, but Quicken is the sticking point.
Yes, I was surprised to see Mac version about 50% featured vs Windows...

Odd, especially given the fact that I think Mac version was a flagship Quicken product 20 yeas ago...

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #16

Mine is so simple--I want to see Citibank reconciling work so that if you enter transactions in advance, but don't have a check number, Quicken can still look at the date and the transaction amount and consider it a match (which you can still change if it's wrong). The "Match Manually" stuff drives me bonkers, and has for years. We're not all sitting around writing checks out of our checkbooks anymore, Quicken!

(It may be like this with other banks, but Citi is the one I'm experiencing it with.)
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:

Yes, I have had that happen and others have reported it, and intuit ignores it. I fixed by downloading price history from yahoo, save as csv file then import into quicken using the file import function. The tricky part is getting the import file into a format that quicken accepts.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Mine is so simple--I want to see Citibank reconciling work so that if you enter transactions in advance, but don't have a check number, Quicken can still look at the date and the transaction amount and consider it a match (which you can still change if it's wrong). The "Match Manually" stuff drives me bonkers, and has for years. We're not all sitting around writing checks out of our checkbooks anymore, Quicken!

(It may be like this with other banks, but Citi is the one I'm experiencing it with.)
Mine does this. I have a number of payments set up (mortgage, electric bill, etc) and I enter them as a charge to my checking account when they pop up. They are on auto-pay and come out of my checking account. When I then import my banking transactions they automatically match.

It sounds like a Citi/Quicken issue.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have seen something similar, sometimes in opposite direction, my portfolio becomes $17 Mil in value. But I think it's more due to the fact of faulty historical price update and is because there was a piece of bad price that made things wrong. I am not sure how this can be addressed by the application itself thou.

If you have so-called "reproducible" case, in other words a specific suspect what makes your portfolio go nuts, please let me know.
Occasionally, I have seen a bad price quote. I would go into the price history of that symbol, delete the current price, do an online update, and see that bad price get downloaded again.

The problem I reported earlier is not the above. The entire time history of a position got blanked out or erased. It is definitely a bug in Quicken. It does not happen every time, if that's what you meant by reproducible. However, it has happened on the average perhaps once a month for me. And it hits a different equity position each time.

I have always been able to restore from a backup, so it has been an inconvenience rather than a catastrophe. I wonder if it isn't a problem with software timing, due to multiple threads executing asynchronously and stepping on each other somehow.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.....The entire time history of a position got blanked out or erased. ...
When it does that have you tried going to the security details screen and updating the price history of that one buggy security?

FWIW, I have never had anything like that happen.