Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Seriously - you’ll make more money than you imagine. Don’t take work too seriously - learn how to keep perspective. Keep healthy work/life balance.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd tell myself "Enjoy this time, it only gets worse from here."
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Stop bogarting that joint!

And get a haircut!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Get your ass out of those liberal arts classes and starting taking accounting classes.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Have more fun along the way. Take some risks.

When the college boyfriend asks you to visit him in Germany, go. He will go back to his country of origin, and you will never see him again, but you could have more memories to cherish.
A quiet local girl met a German fellow skiing at Whistler. She took the offer to visit him, which eventually ended in marriage, settling back in her home town, then the fellow started Shopify in a nearby Starbucks.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Even as late as the 1990's, your career will be negatively affected by sex discrimination in a Fortune 50 company. Carefully document what is happening and sue the bastards!
I would tell him, join a merit driven industry. Starting in the 1980s, public institutions will begin openly, officially, discriminating against your sex and ethnicity.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
A quiet local girl met a German fellow skiing at Whistler. She took the offer to visit him, which eventually ended in marriage, settling back in her home town, then the fellow started Shopify in a nearby Starbucks.
I'm glad that had a happy ending! My boyfriend wanted me to visit him in Germany, but he wasn't from Germany originally.

He was from Saudi Arabia. Mecca, to be exact. His father was long deceased, and he was the oldest son, with a mother and younger sister he was responsible for (forever) as the "head of the family." He could not stay here, and I would have lasted precisely 1.3 seconds in Saudi Arabia as a mouthy American woman! I always respected his devotion to his family. We can't always have everything we want in life. Some things are more important than that.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I'm a bit in reverse. When I was 18 I told myself to "make choices that the 60 year old you would thank you for".

I always tried to live up to that with just a few missteps along the way.

I would have told myself to buy Apple the day it opened and to not turn down that older secretary who asked you out!
Old 09-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't marry your secretary!
FI FELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I'm glad that had a happy ending! My boyfriend wanted me to visit him in Germany, but he wasn't from Germany originally.

He was from Saudi Arabia. Mecca, to be exact. His father was long deceased, and he was the oldest son, with a mother and younger sister he was responsible for (forever) as the "head of the family." He could not stay here, and I would have lasted precisely 1.3 seconds in Saudi Arabia as a mouthy American woman! I always respected his devotion to his family. We can't always have everything we want in life. Some things are more important than that.
Western raised women who marry non western raised men often face unexpected differences of expectations.

Moving to a system with radically different law, would be a whole different level of consequences.

Not judging, just saying women often don’t understand what
they are signing up for.

Hanging around with, dating, someone who your practical
self sees issues and risk, is a very dangerous thing for
a female to do, as primal attraction and bonding overrides
the frontal cortex.

Passing on that adventure in Germany was most likely dodging a bullet.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #71

18? I’d rather talk to my 17 year old self. But I’m not sure that would make a difference.

Like others, I think I would only be able to give stock picking and sports betting advice.

All my mistakes and accomplishments are my own and I’m not 100% sure alternate paths would’ve been better.

But I pity the fool.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #72

save, invest, get and actually use a budget, live as far below your means as possible, eliminate debt. basically the dave ramsey baby steps.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Follow my Dad's advice and move to Canada.
valsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #74

I was a perfect 18 year old. Nothing to say to me then.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:47 AM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

Choosing a spouse will be the most important thing you do in your life. Take this very seriously.
Wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

At 18, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life as adult. I didn't want to become one, that's for sure, and when I picked TV/Radio as my college major, I didn't think in a million years I had any chance of winding up working in that industry. I made a nice career for myself and have worked a few shows a year since turning 57. That being said, my advice would have been, major in education and do what you can to get a teaching job on Long Island. After a few years, they make 6 figure salaries. Unless you wind up in one of the handful of crappy schools, chances are you will teach good kids, not like in the city where you are more of a zoo keeper. Pension, health care for life, nights, weekends, holidays and summers off, none of which I got. Not as much fun as what I did, but then I could have had a family.

Second choice, if not the above, work in a civil service job, whether city, state or federal. Maybe not as good pay as private industry, but you don't have to worry about losing your job or not having money or health care when you retire.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you know what birth control is !?!?!
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #78

Your life is about to change in ways you could not have imagined. Just relax and go with the flow that will transport you 2000 miles to a year long nightmare from which you will awaken with a rich, exciting, successful and rewarding future. So, with the warning that the early days of your future are frightening and insecure, relax and just let life sweep you where you seem destined to go.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #79

Put down the beer.
Stop working and go to college.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
That's why they call it work.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote