Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
.........Rolex Watches..........
What is a watch?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What is a watch?

Hey! I bought a new one a little while ago. I missed my wristwatch! It looks like something Don Draper would wear

I saw some show that said wristwatches were designed by Cartier so that aviators could sync time without having to take their hands off controls.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Hey! I bought a new one a little while ago. I missed my wristwatch! It looks like something Don Draper would wear

I saw some show that said wristwatches were designed by Cartier so that aviators could sync time without having to take their hands off controls.
Oh yea, I remember now. They were like bracelets that working people wore.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #264

Quote:
Oh yea, I remember now. They were like bracelets that working people wore.

I am one of the exceptions. I don't whip out smartphones to check the time. To me, there are too many people led around on a leash by their devices.

But I sure don't have a Rolex!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Love, love, LOVE my Thermapen. $$$ but super fast, precise, and awesome. I believe in precision in grilling.

I went throughout a lot of slow, flakey and tough to use "instant" read thermometers before finally springing for this one. Problem solved! [I still use a remote probe for some monitoring of meat on the grill, and then when it's getting close, use the Thermopen to more precisely probe the meat to know when each pieces is just right.]

Use it for a lot of stove top cooking measurement too - of just about everything.

DH uses it to know when his cakes are done.

ThermoWorks - Splash-Proof ThermapenĀ® Thermometer
Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

All right! Glad to see another happy owner of the Thermapen (see my earlier posts).

For Mother's Day big family party last weekend, I grilled some chicken satay on skewers. The Thermapen's sharp and small tip worked wonderfully with that. Wouldn't even think of using a regular probe with thin strips of meat.

See photo below, linked off Foodnetwork Web site.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

I've been a Thermapen fan for well over ten years -- it's my favorite cooking tool by far.

For the long cooks, like when I do ribs on the BGE, I also highly recommend the Maverick ET-732 probe/transmitter remote thermometer:

Amazon.com : Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I've had previous models of this unit that were either not durable or not reliable over more than 10 feet or so, but they finally got it right with this version. I've used it regularly (at least several times a month) for nearly three years, and it's still performing like new. Haven't even had to change the batteries.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #268

Quote:
What is a watch?
A timepiece worn on the wrist by people who have to care what time it is. There are unfortunately times when I do but thankfully not often.

A truckload of Timexes can be had for the price of one Rolex. I'll spend the difference on camera gear.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

Moemg....What model of the "Shark home floor steamer" do you use? I need something good for my tile floors also.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #270

Interesting I do not consider a Rolex as a superior product. It is a good watch, a nice piece of jewelry, but if it were evaluated strictly as a watch, there are, IMHO, others more accurate and a lot cheaper. I wear a Casio Atomic analog watch. I paid $50 for it, it is accurate to second, syncs with an atomic clock every night, waterproof, is solar powered and is going on four years use. For me that is a superior product, if you judge a watch by it's capability to keep accurate time day after day, and the price is just a bonus.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #271

I wear a Wenger (Swiss Army) Urban Classic. It cost more than yours, but had what I wanted: simple (I don't want all those dials, just time/date), solid, and basic.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

I know we have some Big Green Egg enthusiasts here. As I get ready to fire mine up, I want to share one of the coolest gadgets I've seen. DW surprised me with this BGE table for my birthday this year, and I absolutely love it.

It's all stainless steel, either painted or powder coated, and all the doors are gasketed so critters can't get in. Wonderfully well engineered and constructed.

They come in many sizes and configurations. The pix here don't show mine, but this is very similar to the one I have. There are smaller and larger versions. Somewhat pricey, but very well made and should last as long as the Egg (meaning forever).

Challenger Cabinets :: Grill Carts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (66.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (72.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

A question, not a recommendation

What is the best spray bottle vinyl floor cleaner? I habitually use Simple Green, but I don't think it is that good to clean my floor. The floor is in good shape. I move anything off floor, then start in corner farthest from door, squirt, then usually rub it with a terry towel wither by hand or my foot. It seems to be pretty good rehab exercise for my hip so usually I foot it. I just work over to the door this way. I do it fairly often, so it is not filthy or anything

I can rinse if need be, but prefer something that will work without rinses.

Thanks for taking time out from all the cool products above to help a housework challenged man who nevertheless likes a clean house.

Ha
Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Simple Green is our choice, and we've tried many.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is the best spray bottle vinyl floor cleaner? ...
Ha
50-50 vinegar and water? No rinse.

-ERD50
Old 07-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #276
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What is the best spray bottle vinyl floor cleaner?
Our friends sing the praises of Heartland Natural Cleaning Solution so I've just been trying it. It is quite amazing stuff. Typically you put 3 parts of water with 1 part of concentrate into a spray bottle.

They use it as an everything cleaner. I'm finding that it does live up to expectations.

Evidently it is so natural and safe that in a much more diluted mixture it can be used as a vegetable wash (see directions).

If you try it let us know what you think!

Kindest regards.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
Moemg....What model of the "Shark home floor steamer" do you use? I need something good for my tile floors also.
I use the Shark Professional model floor steamer and I'm happy with it. Works very good on wood and tile floors and although I don't have any I'm sure it would work good on vinyl floors too. It won't clean tile grout if it's badly stained. Based on recommendations I only use distilled water in it but a gallon ($.90 at Walmart) goes a long way and gives me quite a few cleanings.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #278
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I know we have some Big Green Egg enthusiasts here. As I get ready to fire mine up, I want to share one of the coolest gadgets I've seen. DW surprised me with this BGE table for my birthday this year, and I absolutely love it.

It's all stainless steel, either painted or powder coated, and all the doors are gasketed so critters can't get in. Wonderfully well engineered and constructed.

They come in many sizes and configurations. The pix here don't show mine, but this is very similar to the one I have. There are smaller and larger versions. Somewhat pricey, but very well made and should last as long as the Egg (meaning forever).

Challenger Cabinets :: Grill Carts

Very nice braumeister! I made my own table (wood) but it is no where near as nice as these stainless steel models. Plus I have to sand and stain mine every year which is a Pain in the ***. Congrats and happy "egging".

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #279

Quote:
What is the best spray bottle vinyl floor cleaner? I habitually use Simple Green, but I don't think it is that good to clean my floor. The floor is in good shape. I move anything off floor, then start in corner farthest from door, squirt, then usually rub it with a terry towel wither by hand or my foot. It seems to be pretty good rehab exercise for my hip so usually I foot it. I just work over to the door this way. I do it fairly often, so it is not filthy or anything

I can rinse if need be, but prefer something that will work without rinses.

Thanks for taking time out from all the cool products above to help a housework challenged man who nevertheless likes a clean house.

Ha
DW has the Shark mentioned above. Seems like she really likes it. I have no direct experience with it but DD has one too and says it's worth the money.

Me, I take care of everything mechanical and electrical and all outdoor work plus car stuff.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
50-50 vinegar and water? No rinse.

-ERD50
+1

I am amazed at how many household cleaning jobs can be done with vinegar and/or baking soda.