Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Dyson vacuum cleaners.
We have both an upright and a cordless handheld, both bought refurbished.
Mind-bogglingly effective and easy to use.
Which model upright do you have?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #362
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Method daily shower cleaner. All natural and no scum. In my area, it is sold by Bed Bath and Beyond.

https://well.ca/products/method-dail...ray_33336.html
We conquered soap scum by switching to liquid body-wash. Big improvement.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #363
Full time employment: Posting here.

Electric pressure cooker

This merits being added to the list based on early performance. There are other sizes and other brands that can be had elsewhere, but we got this one from Costco - so that if it ever does not work, it can be returned.

Cuisinart® Electric Pressure Cooker
Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #364
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
This merits being added to the list based on early performance. There are other sizes and other brands that can be had elsewhere, but we got this one from Costco - so that if it ever does not work, it can be returned.

Cuisinart® Electric Pressure Cooker
That looks like a great price. I own an Emeril myself - I have add it for a couple of years, and I use it almost every week - An electric pressure cooker has been such an great investment for me. I love making beef soup in it, Also boil eggs (easy peel medium boiled eggs in 6 minutes). Pulled pork, chicken stew, ribs, etc, etc. Anything that takes a while to cook - I use my electric pressure cooker for. I should probably donate my slow cooker since I haven't used it since I got my electric pressure cooker...
Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #365

We have an Inatant Pot. We have use it for about a year. It is a super product for quick meals!
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP...ant+pot+7+in+1

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #366

Our iPhones, iPad and Toyotas are the first things that pop into my mind. All have been workhorses and pleasures to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We have an Inatant Pot. We have use it for about a year. It is a super product for quick meals!
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP...ant+pot+7+in+1

Do you actually use all these settings? This cooker looks much more complicated than mine and harder to make adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #368

It is really easy to use. Use it mostly as a pressure cooker with the presets on the left side. I have not used Rice, Multi grain, Porridge, or Steam. Used Lsow cook tonight. Never tried Yogurt. Have used Saute. Makes great stews and soups. You can put a frozen chicken in it with veggies, and 20 min later have homemade soup! Would have really been nice to have when DW and I were both w@rking!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:48 AM   #369
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Spectrum analyzers and signal generators by HP (now Agilent) and oscilloscopes by Tektronix.
+++1
Last month I sent a screenshot from a Fluke handheld oscilloscope to an equipment manufacturer and they wanted a clearer waveform. I dug out my trusty Tek scope (1990's era digital, not my ancient 504) and triggered on the signal immediately. Had to take a picture with my phone but they were impressed. Still run a couple HP bench power supplies that are 40+ years old and a Gould brush recorder, NASA used these on the Apollo missions. Vintage American gear was the best in the world in its day. These days I almost always use a laptop to troubleshoot
Old 11-18-2015, 02:40 AM   #370
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=JTOrt;1658699I dug out my trusty Tek scope (1990's era digital, not my ancient 504) and triggered on the signal immediately. [/QUOTE]
+1 As an ex-metrology tech can relate to those!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #371

A couple of things that come to mind. I use them every day.

Clever coffee dripper--best coffee ever; much superior to other pour over types. I even bring a small one with me, as well as a small electric hot pot, when I travel.

Miracle cloths for all purpose household cleaning. I get them in the automotive section of Target or Walmart, 10 or 12 at a time.

Those large Rubbermaid plastic storage boxes. They last forever, it seems. I keep my holiday stuff and other things stored and stacked in them in the basement--a neat, clean, dry system.

My favorite all purpose cooking pan--a LeAnn Chin wok pan that I was given as a gift years ago and still going strong. Does stir fry as well as all sorts of other things well. The size is perfect. Between this and two sizes of venerable Griswold cast iron pans--bought second hand at least 35 years ago-- I can do 99% of my cooking.

Oh, and the 25 year plus Kenmore washers and dryers that came with my "new to me" house. They are still working beautifully and do the job. I wanted to replace them but every thing I read keeps me from pulling the trigger on a new set. I understand, for example, that you have to get a "steam" washer to get truly hot water now--jacks up the price considerably. I guess it is best just to keep these chugging along until one or both of them dies. In short, I've come to appreciate them. . .
Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #372
Administrator

My R&B Wire 300G Deluxe Elevated Wire Frame Metal Laundry Cart. I bought it because my laundry room is pretty far from my master bedroom and closets. It is wonderful for wheeling laundry back and forth.

My cart also turned out to be invaluable for my move and for shuffling things to different rooms while unpacking, as seems to always be needed no matter how organized the move.

It's wonderful for unloading groceries and putting them away, too. It has been worth much more to me than its (IMO) exorbitant expense.

It is at least as sturdy as the metal carts at grocery stores, moves smoothly, silently, and effortlessly on its swivel wheels, and has bumpers so that it won't mar the walls or doorways if one hits them.

This was a really great purchase for me, since lugging insanely heavy, back-breaking, awkward baskets of laundry around my one story Dream House just isn't something I want as part of my exercise regimen.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Magic erasers.... have no idea how they work but they are amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I agree. They've saved me a ton of scrubbing.

My answer: the cashmere sweaters I bought in the 1980s, the collection of Thierry Rabotin shoes I bought while I was still employed; my two pairs of boots (one Luchesse, one Justin). All good, classic styles that will last a very long time. I dread replacing them when they do wear out.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Oh, and the 25 year plus Kenmore washers and dryers that came with my "new to me" house. They are still working beautifully and do the job. I wanted to replace them but every thing I read keeps me from pulling the trigger on a new set. I understand, for example, that you have to get a "steam" washer to get truly hot water now--jacks up the price considerably. I guess it is best just to keep these chugging along until one or both of them dies. In short, I've come to appreciate them. . .
+1 Bought the Kenmore washer/dryer 18 years ago when I moved into the new house and still working great. Only issue I've had is the fabric softener dispenser in the washing machine clogged up after years of use but that was an easy fix.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #376
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
my two pairs of boots (one Luchesse, one Justin).
And now several brands (including Ariat) have very cushiony designs that are dramatically more comfortable.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #377
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Are there specific ones you like or don't like. Seems the last time I saw these in the store, there were a bunch of variations. I got analysis paralysis, and bought none of them!

-ERD50
Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #378
Dryer sheet wannabe

I agree on the Apple products as I have iPads, the mini, iPhones and an iMac. All excellent products that are worth the price and function beautifully. Also, I will pay a little extra for the heavier proof bourbons. Unfortunately some of my favorite releases from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) have been priced out of my comfort zone due to the current millennial obsession with bourbon. I can no longer find George T Stagg or William LaRue Weller at my liquor stores and they're also extremely difficult to find in Chicago.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #379
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are there specific ones you like or don't like. Seems the last time I saw these in the store, there were a bunch of variations. I got analysis paralysis, and bought none of them!

-ERD50
I just use the original. They aren't expensive, so why not start there:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Magic...s=magic+eraser

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBuckeye View Post
I agree on the Apple products as I have iPads, the mini, iPhones and an iMac. All excellent products that are worth the price and function beautifully. Also, I will pay a little extra for the heavier proof bourbons. Unfortunately some of my favorite releases from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) have been priced out of my comfort zone due to the current millennial obsession with bourbon. I can no longer find George T Stagg or William LaRue Weller at my liquor stores and they're also extremely difficult to find in Chicago.
+1 in iPads. I have had 3 of them so far. (One got aged out, One broke (I dropped it and the glass shattered and damaged the switch), and I am now on iPad mini 2 - I bought Otter Defender case for this so I won't break this one.. It makes the iPad so heavy though so I don't recommend the case.)