Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #401
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
My Sanyo counter-top microwave oven died yesterday.
The manufacture date on it is 1986 and I'm pretty sure it was the first (and only) microwave I ever bought. I used it quite a bit, so I'd definitely say that was a superior product!
Sanyo, a name out of the distant past. I installed an under-dash tape deck from Sanyo in my 1970 Ford when I was just out of college.

Wikipedia says Panasonic bought Sanyo in 2009 after an earthquake damaged their semiconductor plant and nearly put them out of business in 2004.
Well I just bought a new Panasonic microwave to replace the Sanyo, but I think it's a safe bet that this one one last 30 years!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #402
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well I just bought a new Panasonic microwave to replace the Sanyo, but I think it's a safe bet that this one one last 30 years!
Panasonic stuff is still pretty good. We just replaced a Panasonic cordless phone with another Panasonic that went about 10 years. It was still functional but the answering function was sounding muddy.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #403
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My Sanyo counter-top microwave oven died yesterday.
The manufacture date on it is 1986 and I'm pretty sure it was the first (and only) microwave I ever bought. I used it quite a bit, so I'd definitely say that was a superior product!
Still using our Amana Radarange also purchased in '86. <knocks on wood>

Our kids and their friends get a kick out of its "retro" design.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #404
Dryer sheet aficionado

Speed Queen Washer - this is a commercial build washer (meaning sturdier and less subject to the dictates of the government for electronic sensors for this and that). I purchased it after living eight years with a horrible Whirlpool Cabrio. The Speedqueen has all mechanical controls - no digital panel, no digital controls. Be aware that just because a device has dial or button controls on it, doesn't mean it doesn't have electronics behind those buttons. While the Cabrio was touted as water and energy efficient (those government controls again), it actually had a horrible track record. Unbalanced loads resulted in it running longer and using more water as it tried to rebalance loads. The electronic control panel constantly had issues, even though I always kept the washer on a surge suppressor. And like many HE washers, the Cabrio could develop that stinky HE washer smell. After switching to the Speedqueen, I was amazed that it seemed to wash a load in 1/3 the time of the Cabrio, with no constant tending to rectify unbalanced load or control panel issues. The clothes were clean, no smell. Be aware the SpeedQueen is usually only sold by smaller applicance stores, no big chains, and you may have a waiting list to get it. But it is worth it, built like a tank, American made and all mechanical. If you aren't ruled by the dictates of fashion, and don't mind something that looks like a machine from a few decades ago, this is so worth the price. I am loving my Speedqueen!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #405
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another purchase I think is well worth the price is the Hamilton Beach Countertop Oven with Convection & Rotisserie 31100

which I bought about three years ago as an adjunct to my big oven. I've made everything from Thanksgiving turkeys to bread, cookies, muffins, etc in it. It easily replaces a full size oven - useful for those thinking of going smaller. It fits a 13 X 9 cake pan or casserole dish, as long as the handles on the pan/dish aren't too long. It also fits - and the shelves are sturdy enough to handle - a large Lodge cast iron Dutch oven or a Cuisinnart enameled cast iron roaster. (which is what I use to roast smaller turkeys). No you can't get a 25 pound turkey in this thing, but you can fit a < 20 pound turkey in it. It bakes cookies and muffins and cakes without any burning of tops or bottoms, not an easy thing for a small oven to do when the heating elements are closer to the items being baked. It has a timer when the oven shuts off automatically, or regular (dial) controls. No electronics. It has a convection feature and a rotisserie, but I confess, I have only rarely tried the convection and never used the rotisserie. If you need a second oven for holidays or parties, or just want a workhorse oven with a small footprint, this will do the job. And I think I paid about $65 dollars for it at amazon.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansha View Post
Speed Queen Washer - I purchased it after living eight years with a horrible Whirlpool Cabrio.
Regarding Whirlpool. My washer before the current one was a Whirlpool "Commercial Quality" model washer. Or at least that's what it said on the control panel. When it started leaking water everywhere, it got replaced. I don't repair appliances anymore after some bad repair experiences. No Frills washers don't cost all that much in the big scheme of things and repairs can be just as expensive as a new washer.

My experience is that washers last around 10 years before the problems start. When the problems start, I just go buy another.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #407
Recycles dryer sheets

Our Sharp microwave that was given to us as a wedding present in 1981 is still going strong. I should replace the light inside since it went out many years ago but other than that it just keeps working.

Sent from my XT1049 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #408
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
My experience is that washers last around 10 years before the problems start. When the problems start, I just go buy another.
My old 2002 GE washer lasted 13 years with no repairs and who knows, it might keep running for another 20 years. I left it at my prior home because I wanted to try a new washer with all the bells and whistles, but that old GE washer is tough and I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps running until there is nothing left on earth but cockroaches.

At my new home, I bought an LG top loading HE washer highly rated by Consumer Reports, and it is SO much better at actually getting my clothes clean, than my old mechanical washer. It got stains out that had been in my clothes for years with the old washer, and my clean laundry smells so much more fresh and clean than with the old washer. I have only had it 8 months, but so far it has run flawlessly and is by far the best washer I have ever owned. It's got a lot of digital baloney but oh well.

If/when it breaks, I'll probably just buy another like you do, even though it was expensive, because I can afford it. Meanwhile, I love having a washer that cleans my clothes so well and so reliably, and also is big enough to handle oversized king comforters.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #409
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Whirlpool Cabrio was a lemon from the start. My point was not so much that the Cabrio was old, but that the new style of laundry devices, with excessive sensors and electronic panels are more subject to issues and repair requirements - every time a sensor fails.

I recently replaced a refrigerator. Rather than spending a grand or more on one to match what is considered up to date in todays kitchens with sensors everywhere and an insecure connection to the internet of all things, I replaced it with a top freezer basic bones model that looks like something from the seventies. It is easier to access and clean than my old side by side freezer fridge model I bought fifteen years ago, or the fancy bottom sliding out bin freezer that my parents bought a couple of years ago - which is frankly a pain in the neck to store food in or take out. IMHO, the original design of having the freezer on top is the best and and subsequent improvements on that model - just like the washer changes - serve fashion more than functionality.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #410
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansha View Post
Speed Queen Washer - this is a commercial build washer .... Be aware the SpeedQueen is usually only sold by smaller applicance stores, no big chains, and you may have a waiting list to get it. But it is worth it, built like a tank, American made and all mechanical. If you aren't ruled by the dictates of fashion, and don't mind something that looks like a machine from a few decades ago, this is so worth the price. I am loving my Speedqueen!
Got a model # and/or link? I'd be interested if our old (29+ years) Maytag ever breaks down!

Is it this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-AW...Z79YBFTTT0CHZV

~ $800 at amazon, shipped.

-ERD50
Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #411
Dryer sheet aficionado

The model I purchased was Speedqueen AWN432SP.

Be aware that Speedqueen does build some washers with electronic controls, and my understanding is that new Federal safety and ecological regulations on commercial washers are being applied soon, or were applied perhaps after this model. So you might have to shop around to find something similar if this model has been replaced. Speedqueen does have a website of its own. Speed Queen - Built Better to Last Longer. I
Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I bought an LG top loading HE washer highly rated by Consumer Reports, and it is SO much better at actually getting my clothes clean, than my old mechanical washer. It got stains out that had been in my clothes for years with the old washer, and my clean laundry smells so much more fresh and clean than with the old washer.
I had a similar experience with a dishwasher. I bought a new GE dishwasher to replaced a broken Maytag. When I washed the dishes for the first time the glasses and dishes came out sparkling. The colors on the cups were more colorful. All that build-up film residue that the old dishwasher never quite removed was now gone for good.

The older Maytag dishwasher got replaced when the master-board electronics failed. The cost for the new electronics was more than the new dishwasher.

As with washing machines, dishwashers seem to last about 10 years before the problems start.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #413

Barkeepers Friend--cleans just about everything safely.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #414

I purchased this from Home Depot for about $70. A great product if you have a deck or large surface to pressure wash. It normally took me five to six hours to clean our wood deck. With this it was less than an hour! I would buy one of these every year if I had to! However, it looks well made and should last for many years. It is called EZ Clean Surface Cleaner. There is a 12" model for about half the price, but it also will only take half the pressure.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #415

A few days ago I went to an estate sale and found a new never opened Kitchenaide mixer with a $50 price tag on it. Given their reputation for quality I had to buy it
Old 03-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
A few days ago I went to an estate sale and found a new never opened Kitchenaide mixer with a $50 price tag on it. Given their reputation for quality I had to buy it
OMG, what a find! I am so jealous. Now you need to post photos of what you make with it. Why not splurge and buy the pasta attachment?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I purchased this from Home Depot for about $70. A great product if you have a deck or large surface to pressure wash. It normally took me five to six hours to clean our wood deck. With this it was less than an hour! I would buy one of these every year if I had to! However, it looks well made and should last for many years. It is called EZ Clean Surface Cleaner. There is a 12" model for about half the price, but it also will only take half the pressure.
Was curious about this product, I have a big deck...discontinued by manufacturer, at least the one I looked at on Amazon.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #418

This is my first time to try liquid coconut oil. I don't know if it is superior to other "liquid" coconut oils, but it's a much milder flavor to cook with than the kind that stays solid at room temp. Can also go into smoothies easily. A friend also uses it as after-shower body oil.

Amazon.com: Nature&#39;s Way Liquid Coconut Oil 20 Oz: Health & Personal Care

Old 03-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
OMG, what a find! I am so jealous. Now you need to post photos of what you make with it. Why not splurge and buy the pasta attachment?
I have never made anything that would require that green beast of a mixer but now that I have it I guess I will have to learn.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #420
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
This is my first time to try liquid coconut oil. I don't know if it is superior to other "liquid" coconut oils, but it's a much milder flavor to cook with than the kind that stays solid at room temp. Can also go into smoothies easily. A friend also uses it as after-shower body oil.

Amazon.com: Nature&#39;s Way Liquid Coconut Oil 20 Oz: Health & Personal Care

Oil after shower sounds like a good idea. I got MCT before but it bubbled up / foamed up too much when cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Closed Thread