Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been shopping for tires and decided to look more closely at Costco. They ended up having the best total price on a set of Michelin tires, plus they come with free rotation and re-balancing and free flat repairs in addition to road hazard warranty prorated on tread thickness.

All in all, a pretty sweet deal. I was able to make an appointment and was in and out in 45 minutes, just enough time to hit all the free food sample stations in the store.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #422
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've been shopping for tires and decided to look more closely at Costco. They ended up having the best total price on a set of Michelin tires, plus they come with free rotation and re-balancing and free flat repairs in addition to road hazard warranty prorated on tread thickness.

All in all, a pretty sweet deal. I was able to make an appointment and was in and out in 45 minutes, just enough time to hit all the free food sample stations in the store.
Nothing like free lunch with a set of tires!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #423
Recycles dryer sheets

I am happy with Michelin tires from costco, they have taken care of many issues over the years with typical costco generosity. They offer $80 off a set of 4 Michelins every other month which I take advantage of.

Advice from an old time to never skimp of toilet paper or tires, 'cause they'll save your a$$.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #424

Sometimes it's just a little thing that turns out to be a great problem solver.

DW and I generally travel with multiple gadgets (phones, tablets, e-readers) and charging them at night in a hotel room used to lead to hunts for outlets, outlet extenders, wall warts, cables, etc.

I bought one of these and after three trips with it I have to say it was worth more to me than I paid.

Anker 40W 4-Port USB Wall Charger PowerPort

Plenty of power to charge four devices at once, its plug folds in to avoid getting it bent in your suitcase, and with just one plug adapter for whatever country you're traveling in, you're all set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41D2bOb6+3L._SX466_.jpg (14.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #425
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ Yes, I love Anker products. I have that same one, but tend to bring this one more often in case the outlet is not in a handy location:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger...s=anker+5+port
Old 08-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #426
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an Anker car battery jump starter that also has a builtin flashlight and USB port for charging portable devices. Only had to use it once for jump staring a friends car, it worked great. Seems to keep a charge for a long time and small so it doesn't take up much room in the car. A very useful multi-purpose tool to keep in the car.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #427
Moderator Emeritus

I knew that brand, "Anker" sounded familiar!

I have the Anker USB 3.0 hub shown below. It's great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (12.5 KB, 21 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #428

With a couple of racks of baby backs due to the table less than three hours from now (can you tell I'm anxious?), I was thinking of how much I enjoy my Flame Boss.

Total control over my Big Green Egg and I don't even have to think about it. I can see and control the temperature from my laptop or even my iPhone, and it keeps the temperature to within a degree or two of my setting. Easy to adjust it up or down, and has a nice display that shows the temperature of both the grill and the meat, as well as the activity of the fan.

Essentially just a fan that feeds air to the charcoal precisely as needed to maintain a set temperature. I've been using it for a few months now and absolutely love it. From the reviews I read online, other owners seem to feel the same way.

Two models (the 200 has a wifi connection, the 100 doesn't).
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 2.17.08 PM.png (465.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #429

Purdy paint brushes. Paint Supplies | Professional Paint Brushes & Painting Tools | Purdy

If you had of told me years ago that it was worth paying big bucks (to me) for a paint brush, I would have thought you was an idjit.
But we bought a bit of a fixer upper place last year and I have been doing a buttload of painting. Our bathroom contractor told me to buy them and man was he right. First time in my life that I haven't needed to tape every damn baseboard and moulding in the place ! Makes really nice cut lines. And they clean up good (yes, at this price I clean them out every time.. lol).
He says if you take care of it one brush will last a really long time. I even went so far as to buy the brush comb and actually use it..
Old 09-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #430

That probably makes good sense if you're doing a great deal of painting.

But for those of us who only occasionally have the need, I'm grateful to REWahoo who some time ago pointed out that you can get "good enough" paint brushes at the dollar store.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

Echo power tools.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Purdy paint brushes. Paint Supplies | Professional Paint Brushes & Painting Tools | Purdy

If you had of told me years ago that it was worth paying big bucks (to me) for a paint brush, I would have thought you was an idjit.
But we bought a bit of a fixer upper place last year and I have been doing a buttload of painting. Our bathroom contractor told me to buy them and man was he right. First time in my life that I haven't needed to tape every damn baseboard and moulding in the place ! Makes really nice cut lines. And they clean up good (yes, at this price I clean them out every time.. lol).
He says if you take care of it one brush will last a really long time. I even went so far as to buy the brush comb and actually use it..
I may have to try them, although I do have about 20 free ones ($5 rebate each) from Menards) which are pretty good.

Have you tried the Purdy rollers, are they worth the extra $$
Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I may have to try them, although I do have about 20 free ones ($5 rebate each) from Menards) which are pretty good.

Have you tried the Purdy rollers, are they worth the extra $$
I do also use a Purdy roller cover but I am not quite as over the moon about it. I don't think it results in a vastly superior finish but I do think it is a superior product, in that it is of better construction and will last a long time.

It doesn't leave any transferred nap on the surface like cheap ones do, it loads up with paint real nice giving good coverage and less splatter and doesn't drip. And it cleans up good. Like really good, better than the brushes, almost like brand new.

But, I have used good microfibre ones to that cost a LOT less. YMMV, especially depending on what you are painting (I am doing mostly drywall)
Old 09-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I wondered about the Purdy roller covers as I got Purdy 9" roller and a small one for nearly free a year ago.

However I soon found out, the 9" roller cover is not a normal length, the actual roller seems pretty nice.
Same issue with the small one, I can only find Purdy roller covers to fit it, and for the price I can buy 4 other pretty good ones.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Echo power tools.
Bought one of their gas powered weed eaters a few years ago and it's been outstanding. It cost me over $500 but it's been worth it. Easy to start, easy to add new trimmer line and even has the capability to use an 8" brush cutter blade, for heavy cutting.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #436
Give me a forum ...

I buy good shoes. Take care of them and have them repaired/resoled when necessary. Nothing worse than shoe that are not comfortable.

Just bought two pairs of Kirkland jeans. My last pair of Levis wore prematurely.
Why pay more? We look for value in quality products. Label is not necessary an indicator of quality. One exception....we never hesitate to purchase a Costco Kirkland brand product.

My son is driving our 20 year old Camry. Our 10 year old Accord is running like new. IF we ever buy another car I suspect that we will visit those 2 dealerships.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

LLBean clothes. They do last forever. Never bought anything I wasn't happy with.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #438
gone traveling

Good bottle of Red Wine with some well matched steak or rack of lamb.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
LLBean clothes. They do last forever. Never bought anything I wasn't happy with.
I don't know about cloths but a pair of Teva flip flops I bought from LLBeans lasted me 15 years!! But another pair of Teva flip flops I bought somewhere else only lasted 5 years.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #440

Dual 1019 turntable. Mine was built mid 60's, more than 50 years ago, still works perfectly, right now listening to Dionne Warwick's Golden hits 1962-1964 LP. Heaven!
Closed Thread