Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trader Joe's roasted in the husk pumpkin seeds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
smartwool socks. pricey, but they don't bunch up or chafe, and they wick moisture well. My favorites for hiking. When I stopped wearing them every day, it took a couple weeks for my feet to get used to the rougher feel of cotton socks.
I complained about wear in the heel of my smartwool socks (after a year or two of use), and I was offered a new pair. Unfortunately, Lena had already darned the holes.

When someone asks what I want for a present, I say SmartWool socks, because I like them but can't quite justify the high cost.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Purchased Beef Jerky.

New Braunfels smokehouse makes the best purchasable Jerky ever. Ive had many others and made my own. Whatever, they do it is superior to whatever I can produce or any other place has made.

Every time I drive through Texas i make a pit stop When Im not there I order online

Hickory-Smoked Meats Since 1945 | New Braunfels Smokehouse

I got less excuses to drive through Texas anymore. Brings a tear to my eye..almost
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Purchased Beef Jerky.

New Braunfels smokehouse makes the best purchasable Jerky ever. Ive had many others and made my own. Whatever, they do it is superior to whatever I can produce or any other place has made.

Every time I drive through Texas i make a pit stop When Im not there I order online

Hickory-Smoked Meats Since 1945 | New Braunfels Smokehouse

I got less excuses to drive through Texas anymore. Brings a tear to my eye..almost
I am going to order some for my son, who is jerky fiend. He is a health food type, but jerky is in a separate sacred category of exceptions for him.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #45

Another SmartWool fan here, I rarely get blisters doing trail running in them, although they did fail on me this weekend.

For ski socks, Falke is even better, but tough to find in the US.

I don't think I could've ever gotten into distance running without CoolMax or other moisture wicking fabrics that avoid chafing.

Levi jeans are still the only kind I buy.

I hesitate to give running shoe advice because what works for me may not work at all for someone else because of different styles, but I like Mizuno for the road and Inov8 for the trails. I used to swear by Montrails but I've seen quality problems ever since North Face bought them out.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I used to swear by Montrails but I've seen quality problems ever since North Face bought them out.
Not a surprise now that North Face is a 100% sub of VF corp, which makes stuff like Wrangler and Lee jeans, as well as 7 fashion jeans.

Fit Guide - Women - 7 For All Mankind
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #47

Great thread, thanks for starting it!

Ralph Lauren clothing - for fit and lasting wear. Goes on sale once a year at Macy's, and I'm there. I have a RL blouse from 1986 that I still love.

Pop-Rite hot-air popcorn popper. I was given one in 1982 and have used it to make delicious, healthy air-popped popcorn ever since.

My black microfiber Eagle Creek purse which I had for 10 years. Lightweight, wore like iron, was hand washable, extremely well organized, and just the right size to carry everything I really need (I refuse to use any purse large enough for 'Put this in your purse, will you.') I wanted to post a picture but can't find it on the Web; seems this model is not made any more. But I'd definitely consider another Eagle Creek purse.

Yves Rocher toiletries and make-up. Great value for pure botanical products.

The ER forum...I've felt consistently at home for more than a year and have gotten smarter about asset tracking, etc. I was ignorant about such things because I never had anybody to talk to about them.

Amethyst
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The Body Shop Body Butter . It is the best skin softening cream I have found and it lasts a long long time .
Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

For a forum supposedly frequented by LBYM'ers, we sure have a lot of people with refined tastes here.

I cannot add much to the already long list as I have pedestrian tastes myself. But if there is one thing that I am picky about, it's French brandy. Note that I do not say Cognac, as I have found that even the French brandy that is not made within the town of Cognac, hence is not allowed to bear the name, is much suitable to my taste buds than American brandy. Yes, siree. I have tried an American brandy once, many many years ago, and never again. Even the lowest priced bottle of French brandy goes down smooooth, even if it is not Cognac.

Heck, I am logging off now to go pour myself a double shot. I cannot stand it any longer.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
1986 Honda self-propelled lawn mower. Bought new, all I've ever done is the scheduled maintenance and replaced one spring that retracts the drive engagement handle. The thing still starts on the first pull.
I've got one of those too! I've had to order a couple of gas caps because after I filled the tank, I'd leave the cap laying on the mower, it would bounce off and I'd end up running over the cap. Thank heavens the last cap they sent was red...I notice this color better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The Body Shop Body Butter . It is the best skin softening cream I have found and it lasts a long long time .
I'm gonna have to check that out. It sounds very luxurious.

I have a Pioneer turntable...it's at least 30+ years old and works great.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For a forum supposedly frequented by LBYM'ers, we sure have a lot of people with refined tastes here.

I cannot add much to the already long list as I have pedestrian tastes myself. But if there is one thing that I am picky about, it's French brandy. Note that I do not say Cognac, as I have found that even the French brandy that is not made within the town of Cognac, hence is not allowed to bear the name, is much suitable to my taste buds than American brandy. Yes, siree. I have tried an American brandy once, many many years ago, and never again. Even the lowest priced bottle of French brandy goes down smooooth, even if it is not Cognac.

Heck, I am logging off now to go pour myself a double shot. I cannot stand it any longer.

Really? I never figured this forum to be lbym so much. I always thought of most of these fine folks as frugal but within their tastes. I enjoy jerky about 6 times a year. Plus fine tequila the amount per year I will not put down...

Now a double shot.....think Ill head that way tooo :hic:
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Vitamin E cream from the Body Shop.....the nicest face moisturizer I know. No grease or gooping up.

Pureology shampoo & conditioner. Recommended by my hairdresser. Expensive but a little goes a long way. the 1L bottle lasts me over a year.

Tabi comfort socks. 80% Cotton/ 17% Nylon/ 5% Spandex. Non-elastic top for comfort. One size. $6.

Aquascutum rain jacket purchased in London, England, 1975. 35 years later it is still both respectable and waterproof, and there has never been a loose button or thread! I think it cost ~75 pounds sterling.

Toshiba Tecra laptop, 2003. Has all the bells & whistles. Hard drive crashed one week before the warranty exprired and was replaced by Toshiba with a much larger one at no cost to me. I'm using it now and have no plans to replace it. It's travelled with me all over the world.

1995 Honda Accord EX. My baby! Only two things have ever gone wrong: (1) someone glided into me on a street that had become so icy it could have hosted speed skating at the Winter Olympics; (2) In the dead of winter, the car was plugged in on a timer (which shorted out) and the garage almost burnt down. This car is a Survivor!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Quote:
I'm gonna have to check that out. It sounds very luxurious.
It is excellent stuff.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Living in a low COL area allows us to have very low fixed costs (we don't have 2 homes and don't dream of RVs! ) which means we can enjoy a few luxuries and still live well below our means...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I am looking into this theory that a modest RV can be a LBYM means of travel. And it can also become your dwelling of last resort, when all else fails.

So, it certainly can fit well with a frugal lifestyle, as long as one does not go overboard. I suggest you check it out too.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Well, most of the things people have mentioned really have a low cost per use vs. a less expensive item that would break or wear out sooner, so they really are lbyming it with them. Now something that gets used up, like, oh, maybe, pricey amber-colored alcoholic French beverages

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

But that's my only indulgence! Even monks in monasteries are allowed to drink.

And I have found that my taste buds have gotten dull, so that the inexpensive French brandy which shall remain nameless is just as good to me now as the Cognac XO's my wife has brought home from duty-free shops.

By the way, my two brothers are also Cognac drinkers. During the 2000 tech mania and we all felt rich, once after dinner and testing our taste buds to see if we could tell the difference between VSOP and XO grades, they joked that a sign that a guy had it made was if he could afford XO Cognac as mouth wash.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Pendleton wool shirts.

heh heh heh - now that I'm back in cold country.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
*DHC Cleansing Oil to clean your face. Will not make your face break-out at all and realllly deep cleans.
*Moroccanoil to put in your wet hair and make it silky. You will love it..
Where do you get these?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, I'm going to add Denby stoneware. We've used our set daily for eight years and it still looks GREAT. Not cheap, but beautiful and durable and classic. We love it.