Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

For us it is our Toyota Camry (recall included) - still a superior product over most cars in its league...
Our Dyson vacuum is also a winner...
My thermarest pad for sleeping on the ground when camping...
Nikon binoculars...
Asics Tennis Shoes...
and of course my cast iron skillet...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We've been hacking along for a few years with a low-end countertop convection/microwave oven, and we're about to upgrade to a GE Profile under-cabinet model. We'll probably even pay full retail, although we're waiting for a sale.
That's the brand and model I've chosen for the new house - one that fits above the stove and under the stove exhaust vent. It will be interesting to compare notes....

Audrey

Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Binoculars - how about Swarovski binoculars! After I dropped my my Nikon binoculars on the metal deck of an Alaskan cruise boat and they dented slightly breaking the nitrogen seal, I decided that I used my binoculars so very much that I should just go ahead and get the best optics I could afford.

Cost about $1300 back in 2002. Now, due to the appreciated Euro, they run $1700+. My husband who has big hands liked the hand-grip and balance so much on my new binoculars he sold his Leicas on ebay and got himself a pair.

We have both enjoyed our binoculars tremendously.

BTW - Nikon fixed my binoculars for free even though I dropped them. So did Swarovski when my friend ran over his binoculars with his car!

Audrey
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Mesa Boogie Trem-O-Verb Guitar Amp
Gibson Les-Paul Guitar
Newmar Dutch Aire Motorhome
All Clad Cookware
Sony XBR TV
B&W 802 Stereo speakers
Lexus RX350

All great products
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Superior products:

My John Deere lawn mower (with some electronic lubrication feature) which cost me around $700 around 10 years ago and which is still kicking, after going through 3 Sears Craftsman mowers for around $300 each on my messed up lawn.

My Weber Grills, both charcoal and propane ones. Have had one charchoal and one propane for over 20 years.

My Stihl chainsaw, taken a lot of abuse, but I must have cut 100 plus chords of wood with this saw, and still good after 20 years.

Creamy buttery Brie cheese from Wegman's.

Caribou Hot Chocolate.

Jansport back packs; kids always used them and beat them up badly and Jansport always repaired them or sent us new ones!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #66

2002 Ford F150
Bose radio
Keurig single-cup coffee maker (love, love)
All-Clad and LeCreuset cookware
QVC's "Northern Nights" 400 threadcount sheets
Costco's Kirkland brand products

I own a Dyson vac but in no way is it "superior."
Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

For me, the ultimate superior product would be ...

Wife 1.0!

Low maintenance, reliable, and dependable.

Sure got quirks, but I already know how to work around them.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Yes I've enjoyed my All-Clad cookware for many, many years, and that is what I carry in my motorhome.

We just got some Le Crueset pans a year ago because DH decided he didn't want any non-stick cookware. They've been pretty nice. I look forward to getting some braising pots when we move into the new house.

I've enjoyed my Weber Baby-Q so much while RVing that I am definitely getting the Weber E-320 for the house.

Audrey
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For me, the ultimate superior product would be ...

Wife 1.0!

I dunno. Is it fair to include one-off products, that nobody else can try??

Amethyst
Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Costco's $18 dog beds are a great product, too. Pooch prefers the round one.
Their dog food is also considerably better from a nutritional standpoint than many "premium" dog foods at twice the cost per pound.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am looking into this theory that a modest RV can be a LBYM means of travel. And it can also become your dwelling of last resort, when all else fails.

So, it certainly can fit well with a frugal lifestyle, as long as one does not go overboard. I suggest you check it out too.

"Harlan is originally from around Muskogee, Okla., and used to work in construction in Oklahoma and Texas. He did OK, but his luck turned bad when he bought a big motor home hoping to move around the country. "But it broke down," he said, "I got it fixed and it broke down some more. I had to sell it for $500."
He said he bought an old pickup truck, but it broke down, too. "Every mechanic in the world took advantage of him," said his brother, Kent".
Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Their dog food is also considerably better from a nutritional standpoint than many "premium" dog foods at twice the cost per pound.
Agree. Pooch gets the chicken, vegetable and rice formula.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

LL Bean raincoat

Last year I got an LL Bean raincoat that is full-length. It is from their "h2off" line - and it is just great! It was originally a $200 coat, but I got it off a sale rack at Tyson's Corner, added in a coupon and paid about $80. It is very pretty (blue), it keeps me dry (always a plus in a raincoat ) , and it BREATHES, so it is not stifling like some rain coats can be. If I'd known how much I was going to like it, I would have purchased it earlier even at full price - it's that nice.

Charlotte
Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #74

Tyson's corner has a sale rack??
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Where do you get these?
Facial Cleanser | Skincare | DHC
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Today I spent $9.50 for a quart of hand packed Bordeaux cherry ice cream, including tip jar.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Ah, Tyson's Corner! Brings back memories. I used to make my husband stop there on every trip from Pittsburgh area(visiting my Dad) back to Tidewater VA(our DINK home at the time). I used to dress a lot for work and social affairs and remember buying many a suit, pump and silk shirt there. Most of my paycheck in my 20's seemed to go for such fluff. Now I wear loafers, khakis, and washable cotton blouses all bought on sale. I am indeed, old. I understand there is now a Tyson's Two. Should make a shopping pilgrimage except I'm too lazy.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yes!! At LL Bean at Tyson's Corner, on the lower floor, all the way back in the farthest corner, there are usually about 6-8 racks of LL Bean clothes for 30, 50 and sometimes even 75% off.... I usually find Bean to be a little expensive so I always hit those racks when I'm there. It's hard for me to resist LL Bean on sale... it's good classic stuff that wears well over time. Plus, if you're at the store, no shipping charges to add on!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Products that come to mind:
  • Apple iPod Touch (and all it's predecessors)!!!
  • Toyota (and Honda) cars
  • Allen Edmonds shoes
  • Bloomington Coffee Roasters coffee
  • Dr. Bronner's soap
  • The Aeron chair
  • PBS
  • Clif Mojo Bars
  • Patagonia clothing
I could go on, but these came to mind first...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I third (or is it fourth?) the opinion about Al-clad cookware. My favorite is my saucier. I actually didn't know I could fall in love with cookware... until I got my first Al-clad.

Also my Breville Smart Oven (1800 watt convcection toaster oven with Element IQ). It bakes everything so wonderfully including bread. It works better than my big oven in the kitchen (no convection there.) I gave away from old Cuisinart toaster oven (craigslist for $20 - sold for $80 - it burned stuff on the outside and no so well done in the middle.) With the Smart Oven, the food could be so close to the element but the food doesn't burn! What's up with that??

I paid a lot of money (for me) for the Smart Oven and for Al-Clad's but I consider the money well spent.