Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) Ronco Showtime - "set it and forget it"
2)Vitamix
3) Rain X
4) Kitchen Aid Stand mixer
5) Original Mattress Factory Mattresses
6) Weber Grills
7) Stanley Thermos
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #102

A couple of people have mentioned Vitamix. Why are they much better than a regular blender? Do you really use it that much? I'm curious since I think I will make more smoothies this summer but don't know if it's worth a Vitamix just for smoothies.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
A couple of people have mentioned Vitamix. Why are they much better than a regular blender? Do you really use it that much? I'm curious since I think I will make more smoothies this summer but don't know if it's worth a Vitamix just for smoothies.
yes, the people who have them will tell you that they are better than a "regular" blender, DW had to have one, so we shelled out the 350 bucks or so to get one. Very good investment. We use ours daily are they good? Well we think so. Also I think they have something like 80 or 90% of the bar market for blenders and drink mixers. We have two, the second one we paid 25 dollars for used. We called the 800 number once because the used mixer stopped working, a person answered the phone, asked for the serial number, and asked us what the problem was. We had overheated the unit by letting it run at a variable speed too long, so it shut itself off automatically. After waiting a few minutes we turned it back on and it has worked fine ever since. For us it was worth the price knowing that we will probably never have to replace it and having it helps me eat healthier.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
My McIntosh stereo system (speakers, pre-amp, and amp); I have had them for 39 years and they work as well as the day they were new.
Nodak:
Completely agree on the vintage McIntosh gears (not sure about speakers - never own one). However, the newer stuff are much more software dependent and are not as trouble free as the old analog stuff. They are still built like tanks but seem to have more bugs associated with their softwares.

Do you frequent Audiokarma.org or Audioaficionado.org?

mP
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #105
gone traveling

Here are my nominees for best premium products:

DW brought home some Bath and Body Works Eucalyptus Spearmint Hand Soap; put it next to my sink...of course I initially resisted using it because nothing labled "aromatherapy" was even remotely appealing to me...
until I tried it- the stuff works great- cleans better than any bar soap and smells, good, too. I have it in my shop now, it will remove paint, grease, grime, etc. better than any hand soap I have ever tried. I have a good friend who is a welder, had him try some, and now he swears by it, too...

Cole-Haan shoes- they have served me better than any of the cheaper brands I've strayed and tried...

Kirkland Brand Luggage from Costco.

Ford F-150 Pickup Trucks...

Tillamook Cheese

Premium Saltine Crackers

Craftsman Hand Tools (best tool brand available until you put a cord on 'em, IMO) & Porter-Cable power tools

Aromatherapy
Hand Soap
Stress Relief - Eucalyptus Spearmint
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Nodak:
Completely agree on the vintage McIntosh gears (not sure about speakers - never own one). However, the newer stuff are much more software dependent and are not as trouble free as the old analog stuff. They are still built like tanks but seem to have more bugs associated with their softwares.

Do you frequent Audiokarma.org or Audioaficionado.org?

mP
I have not been on those sites but thank you, I will check them out
Old 02-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...A superior product? I would have said my Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer but I just replaced the one I got with a Seal-a-Meal. So, I'll say Seal-a-Meal.

Also, I just love the idea of using cordless power tools. Unfortunately, once the batteries aren't interchangeable with other brands, as th manufacturers want you to buy all their tools. I use the Craftsman (from Sears) C3 batteries and love the cordless Jigsaw and Trim Saw (used them to build a dog pen and cat house, respectively). I don't ever want to use a corded power tool again.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

24 year old Weber charcoal grill--used at least weekly srping, summer, fall---sits outside yearround and currently covered in snow

Macy's Style & Co (house brand) jeans

Nabisco Honey Maid Graham Crackers---I buy store brand for a lot of things but not graham crackers

50 year old (gift from my mother when she bought a newer one for herself) electroluc vacuum cleaner

2001 Honda Accord
Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes I've enjoyed my All-Clad cookware for many, many years, and that is what I carry in my motorhome.

We just got some Le Crueset pans a year ago because DH decided he didn't want any non-stick cookware. They've been pretty nice. I look forward to getting some braising pots when we move into the new house.

I've enjoyed my Weber Baby-Q so much while RVing that I am definitely getting the Weber E-320 for the house.

Audrey
I just replaced my old Weber with an E-320 from Lowes................SWEET!!! 42,000 BTUs of meat-charring power............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Nabisco Honey Maid Graham Crackers---I buy store brand for a lot of things but not graham crackers
The originals are getting harder to find (at least in Missouri). Never any waste: Dunk 'em in milk when the box is new; actually like 'em better once they start getting stale/soft.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

rice a roni
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Ipod touch - last night we had a power outage, fortunately I had the flashlight app (there's an app for that) and the 2.5 year old went from near tears to "let me hold it!". I use it for everything now.

Dyson pet hair model vacuum - DW loves it, and it's been going strong for 2 years now without loss of suction. Costco carried it for about the same price as all the other "high end" vacuums.

Bosch dishwasher - San Diego homes are almost always "open floor plan" which makes them feel bigger, but means that once you turn on a dishwasher in the kitchen you can't hear the t.v. (or yourself think) anymore. This baby cleans well, is silent (the old dryer in the laundryroom drowns it out even when I'm standing right in front) and best of all, came with the house when we bought it.

+1 on the kives, we bought a set of henkles, I've been learning to sharpen, and they will probably be the last set we buy.

In fact, now that we've been together 12 years, we've noticed that we feel very good about the large appliances we paid extra for. I think any product that you measure the lifetime of in decades is worth a little more. DW got a new high efficiency washer/dryer set that really does steam the wrinkles out of my dress shirts/pants. Maytag something or other. They are very quiet, too.

+1 on the weber grills, which reminds me to go buy new burners at Home Depot before the weekend....hey, we use it almost every day and it's 5 years old.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Aloe Vesta 2-n-1 Protective Ointment, Fragrance Free

My fingers (thumbprint surface and cuticle areas on all fingers) gradually get fine cracks due to the dryness of winter. They were getting really bad lately, to the point of dry skin catching on my clothes. I was using regular moisturizer creme with no real benefit. I found a small tube in my bathroom cabinet. I've been using this stuff for 4 days now and it has made a real difference in the texture of my fingers.
Let the healing continue...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #114

my iRobot vacuum cleaner. Love that thing!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski View Post
rice a roni
Seriously?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #116

*north face, gortex jacket 8 years strong - great for ski, rain, wind
*miele vacuum - totally sucks and is completely sealed so doesn't spew dust/crap while vacuuming or when you switch bags (which is sooo easy to do!), lasts for decades.
*capresso burr coffee grinder
*coach boots and shoes (they are comfortable and well made)
*$30 or so wusthoff knife sharpener (what's the point of having a wusthoff knife if it goes dull?)
*bamix hand blender - use for smoothies, whipping fresh cream, blending soups (in the pot!), and entertaining your kids.
*$30 lodge cast iron pan (traditional and two burner flat one)
*down comforters for me and the kiddos, warm, soft, fluffy and washable!
*cuisinart convection toaster oven - hardly ever have to turn on the big oven since this on takes care of 90%
Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Uggs used to have really thick soles that will never wear out, but a couple years ago they started using some rubber crappy material and they just are not the same. Glad I bought mine--which are still blowing and going--in 2004.
Huh, I wondered why people would blow all that $ for shoes that burn out their heel so quickly, and I never knew the old ones lasted...

Psst - the costco version is nearly identical and about $30? I buy one pair every winter and get rid of it as they are yucky and heel is dead by then...
Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
my iRobot vacuum cleaner. Love that thing!

The only person I knew that had one said they broke... they had three they had to take back... and eventually got their money back..

There are many on the cheap sales sites that sale one thing a day.. I always wondered why there were so many....

Me, I stay away...
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The only person I knew that had one said they broke... they had three they had to take back... and eventually got their money back..

There are many on the cheap sales sites that sale one thing a day.. I always wondered why there were so many....

Me, I stay away...
Got one for DW for Christmas, she absolutely loves it. No problems so far.

R
Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #120
gone traveling

For me? My Cadillac SRX (based upon the CTS platform).

Purchased used (via Ebay Cars), but the best car that I've ever owned in the last 40+ years...

I could add my DW (though we've been married 40+ years) but that would not be part of "owning", IMHO ....
Closed Thread