Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tiuxiu, you beat me to it, more or less.

2003 Honda Accord EX
2006 Honda Odyssey EX.

Both bought new, and I don't regret a single penny. They've been utterly fantastic cars for us.

-- Dog food: Innova. Our dog has been on it less than six months (previously switched from Pedigree) and her skin, coat and teeth are amazingly improved. She glows now.
--World's Best Cat Litter (corn based). Will never, ever have icky clay tracking litter again.
-- Bumble and Bumble shampoo. It's a huge splurge for me, but it's my all-time favorite shampoo.
--Organic foods.
-- Locally-caught fish
-- Keen mary janes. $90 a pop, but a pair lasts me three years of daily wear and they are SO comfortable.
-- Gore-Tex. Nothing else works quite as well, to my mind at least.
-- Polartec brand fleece. Made in the USA, better than the others.
-- Premium vodka (we like Ketel One).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dry fit (or similar material) running vests/shirts - breathable, comfortable, non-chafing and they last for years.

Timberland shoes - my current pair is around 6-7 years old and still going strong inspite of a lot of hard usage.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My recent one is with the mixer/blender/smooth maker.
I am glad I didn't have to resort to buying an expensive Vitamix (which I couldn't afford anyway - it costs about $350) just for making smoothies (mine turns out more like frozen yogurt since it is really thick...)
When I saw your thread title, I thought, "psst, VitaMix." It's the first and only blender brand I've bought, I use it constantly for a variety of uses. The first one stood up to about 16 years of heavy use and I paid considerably more than $350 for the current one, the works, I wouldn't want it without the ability to grind grain--it does that in 60 seconds.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My recent one is with the mixer/blender/smooth maker.
You should buy a Blendtec :P I don't own one personally but those videos you on youtube of the thing are quite convincing, apparently that thing blends almost anything.
In general I wouldn't say that price = quality but in many cases there will be some truth in that.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #25

Urchina--I must agree with you on the Keen shoes, Polartec, and Gore-tex. All super comfortable and last forever.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #26

1986 Honda self-propelled lawn mower. Bought new, all I've ever done is the scheduled maintenance and replaced one spring that retracts the drive engagement handle. The thing still starts on the first pull.

Say what one will about American cars, but the 2003 Buick Century and the 2003 GMC 4WD pickup we bought new have been peaches so far. But again, I'm meticulous about maintenance.

Set of Sears Craftsman hand tools bought in 1979 with some smaller additions later on. Those have paid for themselves many times over.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Urchina--I must agree with you on the Keen shoes, Polartec, and Gore-tex. All super comfortable and last forever.
I'd add to this, Coolmax underwear. Really nice in hot climates or for cross country skiing, as it wicks away perspiration and dries fast..
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #28

*Saucony makes the best tennies for lastability. Comfortable, too. I've had every name brand made over the years, and I have to go with Saucony as the best quality overall.
*Sony Bravia 42" tv has an excellent picture and never have any problem with it. $2K but a good buy and excellent quality.
*Antiques are always a good buy in furniture, because they usually escalate in value over the years. Let's face it, the quality of the wood is vastly superior.
*Same with any house bought before the Great War. So, a house built before 1939 is made with real wood (what a novel idea!) and will last forever if that's your thing.
*Cuisinart Panini Maker so far seems like a good buy. Just got it at Xmas, tho. I read tons of reviews before settling on this one, and have been really pleased with it. Paid $50 on Amazon.com which was a real deal. Cooks 2 big sandwiches at a time.
*Tweezerman tweezers are the best.
*Pointsettas sold at Xmastime are a good buy. The red leaves will fall off eventually and are replaced with green leaves (the plant ends up really big and bushy like a small tree), but, if they can get a little sun or even filtered sun (our living room has dim light), you can keep them alive for a year at least even if you don't re-pot them. And I always buy the cheap ones from Aldi or Home Depot ($4 ones they use as leader items). All they need is water.
*Dawn for dishes is the best I've found. Same goes for Cascade for dishwashing. The cheaper off brands just don't cut it as well. I tried many and gave in.
*Have rough skin? I bought 10% glycolic acid in a cream form from iherb.com and woke up with a face so smooth as a baby's butt. Just don't rub your face hard or have any cuts before you use it or it will burn. It works well..and is cheap. Excellent exfoliant for your face.
*Nature Made Vitamins. Considered one of the two best brands by Consumers Report as they are made with excellent quality control compared to cheaper brands.
*KitchenAide kitchen utensils are built to last. You can pick them up cheaper at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Kohls on sale.
*Swing-Away makes the best can openers of all. At least, according to Consumers Report and me.
*Dansko shoes for walking can't be beat when you want a little more formal shoes than tennies. About $130+ I think now.
*Seiko is about the best brand for the money I've found for watches. And I have 4 of their wall clocks - excellent. (My Herman Miller clock is good, too.)
*Bounty paper towels. I'm sold. I used them for clean-up, makeup removal, to blow my nose in at home where noone sees me.
*Eureka the Boss SmartVac. Heavy no doubt, but just excellent for sucking dirt out of the carpet. I think it was about $175. Totally worth the money. I burned thru lots of reviews before purchasing and was not disappointed.
*DHC Cleansing Oil to clean your face. Will not make your face break-out at all and realllly deep cleans.
*Moroccanoil to put in your wet hair and make it silky. You will love it.
*Picture hangers made for the wall. Little nails inside the usual hanger and made specifically to not make holes in your wall (except for the tiny nail hole). Somewhat pricey for what they are, but so worth the money. And they last. Wish I knew the brand, but I got them 5 years ago and had never seen them before at Home Depot. We've used them in 3 places so far, and made stronger than the usual hooks are. They are brass I think or some gold color, anyway. Very strong & won't bend.
*Corelle dishes for everyday. Not expensive and you can use them for years, plus, they microwave.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I was trying to think of other quality products around the house and belatedly realized I was sitting on one: a Herman Miller Aeron chair.

Ridiculously overpriced-- no value here! (We bought ours on Craigslist from a desperate & rushed seller.) But extremely comfortable. One of the few chairs you can enjoy on a hot Hawaii day without sweaty apparel stuck between you and the upholstery.

A couple years after we bought ours, a retaining clip broke on the support column. The company actually sent a contractor out with improved clips to do the repair in our house. No questions asked, just confirmed the serial number and showed up 48 hours later. No charge.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I was trying to think of other quality products around the house and belatedly realized I was sitting on one:
For a split second there, I thought...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For a split second there, I thought...
It's always good to know that my style of humor will never be too subtle for this crowd...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I first got DVR service 3 years ago when I moved. It has probably improve the quality of my life more than anything else I have purchased in recent memory. I am able to watch more tv in fewer real hours. This enables me to do the other things in life anytime I feel like it and no longer schedule around the game or favorite show.

I would rate my George Foreman Grill has one of my best investments as well. Cost almost nothing but yet I cook literally all of my meats/fish/poultry on it. Plus saves a ton of time and hassle from having no cleanup. I simply wipe it down with a paper towel immediately after using and that is all that is required.

On the larger purchase side of things, I bought a brand new 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo right out of college when I got my first job. I drove it for 10 years and put 150,000 miles on it without any major repairs needed. Sold it to a family friend for $500 and he drove it for another 8 years and put $225,000 miles on it before it died.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

This is a great thread and thanks so much for the shopping list I'm accumulating! Watch for the economy to spike.

I would add KitchenAid mixers in that my 30yo is going strong and does everything from kneading bread dough to whipping egg whites perfectly--I hope the quality is still there. Worth the price.

And I in all seriousness add E-R.ORG, too.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's always good to know that my style of humor will never be too subtle for this crowd...
Darn it, you caught me sleeping on that one.

For quality, I have always bought used wood furniture from yard and estate sales and a few from the abundance of "antique stores" in this neck of the woods. A few dings here and there on the surfaces were never a problem for me.
When the "distressed look" in furniture became so popular, I just about laughed my head off.
I own 4 pieces that were bought brand new, also of all wood construction.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #35

Since extroverts are more talkative and express their opinions more freely, I think we can all see so far who's the extrovert on this board...

Come on, folks, give us those great suggestions. I'm taking notes, too, and have gotten some good ones so far. Things I wouldn't even know to buy if someone didn't tell me...and thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I second the KitchenAid stand up mixers. Mine is "only" 10 years old but it still works great. I use it often to knead bread dough which is pretty hard on the motor.

I also like Le Creuset enameled cast iron pots. Mine is 10 years old and in mint condition. My mom's Le Creuset pot is 36 years old and still in great shape too.

I also like Mont-Blanc's leather goods. My MB wallet is still in surprisingly good condition for something that has been riding in the back pocket of my pants for 9 years.

Waterman pens, some of mine are 20 years old and still going strong.

Banana republic men's clothes in general, but their suits in particular. Very well made, well cut, well sized, tailored and yet surprisingly affordable.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #37

Here's something I bought recently and really did alot of thinking and digging before I purchased it--even with all the glowing reviews on it. It is a bag to carry my personal pool things (hair supplies, soaps, beach towel, swimsuit, sandals and so forth), plus, it has to hold my 5 lb. ankle weights!
I got the Dolphin size for $32, which is big enough for everything and still fit in my gym locker, which is why I didn't buy the biggest one for a few dollars more.
I was kinda nervous about it coming (I mean $32 seemed alot) and what quality it would be, since the only mesh bags I've ever known cost $3 from Mexico. However, I am delighted to report the quality is excellent: made with strong plastic mesh and sewn so it won't ever break. Worth the money totally. It will last for years I think. And more pockets than even I need!
http://saltwatercanvas.com/ (scroll down to see all 3 sizes)

And LL Bean cashmere sweaters are the best for the money according to the Wall Street Journal; I checked with others, bought one for a Xmas gift for the son ($110+/-) and it seems really well made and he loved it. Niemans was their other choice for well made cashmere, but their cheapest was like $435...uh...no, don't think so.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

smartwool socks. pricey, but they don't bunch up or chafe, and they wick moisture well. My favorites for hiking. When I stopped wearing them every day, it took a couple weeks for my feet to get used to the rougher feel of cotton socks.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

- DW loves the KitchenAid Mixer, ours is "only" 7 years old.
- REI branded stuff all seems pretty good quality and they stand behind their stuff
- Trader Joe's products
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #40

Love my All-Clad pots and pans...bought them all (half price) slightly scratched piecemeal over time from a kitchen store that went out of business a few years back.
Thorlo socks...great moisture wicking.
Tumi luggage...I have picked up pieces at TJX
Dove plain white, unscented soap...almost universally recommended by dermatologists for sensitive skin
I also love liquid Castile soap...quite mild and you can wash your whole body and shampoo your hair with it.
Vit. A and D ointment...great for healing dry, chapped skin and smells nice too
Closed Thread