Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
At about 4PM it occurred to me that the USPS would not be here today.
No garbage pick up either.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just enjoying the day

Oh..dont care either
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #43

guess july 4th is gonna have to be soap boxed now too, huh?

i'm a baaaad boy

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #44
gone traveling

Waikiki Beach fireworks! First visiting a tenant that's playing music in a beachfront bar.

Aloha from the 50th state.
Honobob
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #45

Took a ride to St. Augustine and enjoyed the area and some of the history. Tonight we went to the Cocoa Pier for the fireworks. All in all it was a good day.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I guess when you get old, plain Jane food is what they prefer.
Well, then my Mom is right.....she's not old yet. Last night I took her out for dinner at our favorite Cajun joint, and she had jambalaya, gumbo, and jumbo shrimp. She also likes spicy Mexican and Chinese food as well. And loves food with lots of garlic. The only thing she can't stand is bland food. BTW, she turned 81 this year!

I'm taking her to 2 crawfish boils this month also.......she's counting the days!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I bumped into a nice woman who lives in my building and we went down to a good vantage point to watch the Ivar's fireworks on Elliott Bay. It was a great show!

Ha
Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I bumped into a nice woman who lives in my building and we went down to a good vantage point to watch the Ivar's fireworks on Elliott Bay. It was a great show!

Ha
How were the fireworks?
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I'll be at w*rk Power plant operation is a 24/7/365 deal, and the schedule has yours truly on duty. Oh well, no bosses around, extra pay and things are quiet so far. Probably spend most of the day web surfing unless the thunderstorms form up in my area.
Thank you!

Somebody has to keep the lights on. A BIL also works in a power plant, and I've worked my share of 4ths & other holidays (retired law enforcement).

And just think - the overtime will allow you to stimulate the economy and be patriotic.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Well, then my Mom is right.....she's not old yet. Last night I took her out for dinner at our favorite Cajun joint, and she had jambalaya, gumbo, and jumbo shrimp. She also likes spicy Mexican and Chinese food as well. And loves food with lots of garlic. The only thing she can't stand is bland food. BTW, she turned 81 this year!

I'm taking her to 2 crawfish boils this month also.......she's counting the days!
Tell her to enjoy her 80's. When my Mom and Aunt reached 90, their taste buds headed south.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
How were the fireworks?
Not only is Ha a good stock picker, he knows how to pick up women pretty well.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

If there are any sailors out there, you'll know we had a great day from this pic (knots)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knots4th.jpg (37.5 KB, 67 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Not only is Ha a good stock picker, he knows how to pick up women pretty well.
I appreciate you guys faith, but it is generally unwarranted.

Ha
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I appreciate you guys faith, but it is generally unwarranted.
Are you saying on occasion one of your pick up attempts results in a warrant?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I'll be at w*rk Power plant operation is a 24/7/365 deal, and the schedule has yours truly on duty. Oh well, no bosses around, extra pay and things are quiet so far. Probably spend most of the day web surfing unless the thunderstorms form up in my area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Thank you!

Somebody has to keep the lights on. A BIL also works in a power plant, and I've worked my share of 4ths & other holidays (retired law enforcement).
I worked afternoons for the first 15 years on the job at a public utility, was scheduled for every other 4th of July, and traded with the other guy so he could be with his family and I could be at work EVERY 4th. The reason being, afternoons on holidays entailed about 30 minutes of actual 'work', and about 7.5 hours of goof-off time, each paying the same double-time & a half. Since my work site was along the river, and the fireworks were less than 1/4 mile up river from me, I had a GREAT view, and NO crowds of people. I'd put my lawn chair up on the roof of one of the buildings, and enjoy our fireworks, as well as the fireworks in neighboring communities......and got paid handsomely for it!!! By the time I got off work, all of the crowds and traffic had dispersed, the local coffee shop had pretty much cleared out, and I could enjoy a nice quiet evening snack of pie & coffee.

It was a tough job.......but somebody had to do it!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If there are any sailors out there, you'll know we had a great day from this pic (knots)...
Yeah, and I bet that was when you were headed back to port...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The reason being, afternoons on holidays entailed about 30 minutes of actual 'work', and about 7.5 hours of goof-off time, each paying the same double-time & a half.
Weekends & holidays were my best-kept duty secrets-- don't forget the part about management being mostly absent and not pestering you while you were trying to get your own work done!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Weekends & holidays were my best-kept duty secrets-- don't forget the part about management being mostly absent and not pestering you while you were trying to get your own work done!
Yep, and none of my fellow coworkers could ever figure out why I liked working 2nd shift, or why I volunteered to trade with them to get their holidays! Shift premiums, overtime pay, plus best of all....NO BOSSES! Oh yeah.....and since we were located along the river......LOTS of fishing and getting paid for it!

Not only did members of management not work on weekends, holidays, and 2nd shifts.....they couldn't even be located if we actually did need them for something. We had to make the spur of the moment emergency decisions on everything, and then wait for the fallout on our next regular work day.......but none of the boss's threats ever had much bearing, since we'd let him drag us into his boss's office, and then we'd turn the tables on him by informing his boss that he had refused to answer our calls, so we made the best decision we could. His boss would thank us for our efforts at trying our best to solve the problem and tell us we were free to return to our work site, and then he'd rip the boss a new one! I really liked his boss!

The last time he played that game, he struck out. His boss gave him the ultimatum to resign or be fired.....he turned in his resignation. Our next supervisor didn't come around at all after normal hours, but made himself available 24/7 IF we needed him....plus he was an all around great guy.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Several knots faster than calculated hull speed? Way to go!
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #59

is that bottom tracking or 7 knots against a 3-knot current?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
is that bottom tracking or 7 knots against a 3-knot current?
Disp hull speed is 7.2 knots.

On freshwater so not much current to speak of, but sailing downwind so SOG was more than 10.2 knots...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote