Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Be stuck here all day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J4.jpg (68.8 KB, 13 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Be stuck here all day...
That sounds like so much fun!! I have also enjoyed reading about everyone else's plans for the 4th.

Frank's stepmother broke her hip the night before last and was in surgery yesterday afternoon. She probably won't be up to having visitors, but her absence from the July 4th family festivities which she planned will be strange. She has become somewhat the family matriarch now that his father has passed away.

Everything will proceed as she planned, mostly for the sake of her many grandchildren, I suppose. Fishing, swimming, lots of great food and drink, and enough fireworks to blow up "da parish" (St. Bernard Parish, where the family fishing camp is located).

We will probably just stop by briefly, under the circumstances. Personally I love fireworks but find it hard to breathe (much less see) when the fireworks smoke gets really heavy like that. So maybe we can scoot before most of them are set off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll be at w*rk Power plant operation is a 24/7/365 deal, and the schedule has yours truly on duty. Oh well, no bosses around, extra pay and things are quiet so far. Probably spend most of the day web surfing unless the thunderstorms form up in my area.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We'll spend the day preparing for tomorrow....

Tomorrow being a large family reunion we call "cousins by the dozens" which is an annual gettogether and eating marathon. Our task is two black raspberry pies, a large banana pudding, and deviled eggs, all made from scratch. We'll also bring some fried chicken, but we'll let the Colonel cook that.

Raining today, so picking the raspberries for the pies will be a wet challenge...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Last weekend at the campground. No real work today because no one is leaving. All we have to do is check once in a while and see that there is toilet paper in the john.

Not half bad.

Weather is perfect, the water finally warm enough for swimming.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Babysitting a friends 2 dogs (80 lb lab, 55 lb border collie), another
friends dog (12 lb shih tzu) along with my 3 regular dogs (120 lb
leonberger, 75 lb dutch partridge hound, 45 lb border collie) and
my new addition as of 2 weeks ago, a 6 month old rescued border
collie puppy with some aggression problems. Fortunately the herd
thins out Sunday.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Last night some friends of ours from out of town came to visit with their 3 children...ages 2, 4 and 12. Today they are going to Six Flags.

As for me, it's 92 in the shade already. I'm going to veg in the house.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Went to a party last night thrown by our friend's boss. It was really fun - live band, open bar, catered BBQ, fireworks. Today is family day - going to lunch with mom, brother, brother's SO and DH. Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #29

Going to see Wall-E. Then come home and soothe my little doggy best I can. She is scared to death of all the loud booms. The people in this town really like breaking the fireworks laws. I don't like the 4th of July.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Enjoy the long weekend, all, and thanks for the interesting stories, some of you are making the rounds in my old stomping grounds. I started yesterday by leaving w*rk early, decided to get the over-due haircut. Walked along the way taking pix of 4th of July storefronts (new digital hobby): two little bears painted red white and blue, a day care center covered in flags and my favorite, the pet shop: someone there draws a new cartoon every few days on a white board, for the weekend they are advertising a homeopathic remedy for calming down your cat or dog along with a blurb about how to be nice to your pet during the fireworks. The young lady who cuts my hair has given up day trading, bad sign?

Was able to sleep in only 90 minutes extra this morning, old habits die hard, may make up for it later with a nap. SO is a professional retiree so I'll have the day to myself until 6:00 p.m. I observed an old family tradition by wondering if the corn is "knee high by the Fourth of July"--how is it in your area, did they do a second planting?

Plan to take a walk down to the art school, their main gallery will be closed but can look at exhibits that are always open, because they pride themselves on keeping the Diego Rivera mural accessible I'll be able to see the new exhibit in that gallery.

SO and I plan to go "hear" the fireworks as it's fog season here and may take in a movie sometime over the weekend.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I am in TN with my mother for our birthdays. DW is back home hosting her kids and grandkids for a few days of sun and swimming in the pool. After almost 10 days with mom and staying in a spare room at the assisted living center, I am more than ready to get home.

Every time I stay here I become more convinced of how depressed I would be living in a place like this. I only hope I still have enough viable brain cells left to remember to kill myself before I am stuck in one of these places.

As for the 4th....they are having a "BBQ" here (all done in the kitchen of course) for the inmates residents.....I will pass on eating yet another "vanilla" meal with the rest of the folks incarcerated living here. A hearty game of BINGO is the highpoint of the day. Yawn.......
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I observed an old family tradition by wondering if the corn is "knee high by the Fourth of July"--how is it in your area, did they do a second planting?
I had to make a couple of runs out of town yesterday, and decided to stay off of the highways and only take the blacktops.....NO traffic at all! Most of the corn is anywhere from 3' to 4' tall.....some slightly more than that. Around here, if it's "knee high by the Fourth of July", it's really stunted and it probably won't be a very good crop year.

The soybeans are so-so. Some look really good....some look pretty bad.

We've had very little rain in the last month, and could really use a good soaker of an inch or a bit more. But the lack of rain should make for a good day for everyone's 4th picnics!

Happy 4th!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

...That is a beautiful PIC that Midpack posted. We went kayaking today. We launched on the south end of Tybee Island (GA) and paddled about half way down Little Tybee Island (actually larger than Tybee). We had over a mile of beach all to ourselves. On Tybee it looked like several thousand people per mile on the beach. The weather was nice but a little warm paddling against the tide coming back with no wind.
Jeff
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I am in TN with my mother for our birthdays. DW is back home hosting her kids and grandkids for a few days of sun and swimming in the pool. After almost 10 days with mom and staying in a spare room at the assisted living center, I am more than ready to get home.

Every time I stay here I become more convinced of how depressed I would be living in a place like this. I only hope I still have enough viable brain cells left to remember to kill myself before I am stuck in one of these places.

As for the 4th....they are having a "BBQ" here (all done in the kitchen of course) for the inmates residents.....I will pass on eating yet another "vanilla" meal with the rest of the folks incarcerated living here. A hearty game of BINGO is the highpoint of the day. Yawn.......
I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. I'm planning to grill some hamburgers later today for my mother and aunt. My mom told me grill one in a skillet as my aunt does not like charcoal grilled one's. Plus I was instructed to make the patty very thin. I guess when you get old, plain Jane food is what they prefer.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #35

Going up to the mountains to a friend's cabin for a picnic celebration, then drive over to the fireworks show.

Happy 4th everyone!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #36

My sons and I already saw a wonderful fireworks display last Sunday. A nearby suburb has a large party and fireworks display earlier than anyone else.

Tonight I'll be working as an usher at a large outdoor concert venue, Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.

The Cleveland Orchestra does a yearly Independence Day program including a salute to the Armed Forces, Sousa marches and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (including cannons). The weather should be cool and hopefully dry and after the concert everyone leaves the covered pavilion to watch a nice fireworks display. It a great family event, lots of people out on the lawn with picnics.

They did the same concert last night and from our house we could hear the booms and see the reflections in the clouds.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Well I went from just my SO & I sitting on the deck sipping wine to a houseful of guests . When you have a front row seat to all the fireworks you get a lot of heavy hinting .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Lazy morning watching some DVDs, and a little later it'll be a couple of beers and bacon-wrapped filets on the grill.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
At about 4PM it occurred to me that the USPS would not be here today.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Father-daughter surfing. Check.
Long nap before our teen goes out tonight. Check.
Write a letter to my nephew the Army Ranger who's been making his own fireworks for the last month (and the next few months to boot). Check.
Assorted light honey-dos & yardwork. Check.
Screw around the rest of the day. (In progress.)
Pizza for dinner... thinking about it.
No taekwondo sparring tonight-- pass me a frosty beverage!

Stay up and watch the aerials over Waipahu & Ewa officially-sanctioned fireworks from our bedroom window. And make some of our own there too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote