Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Whatcha doing for 4th of July?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whatcha doing for 4th of July?

No definite plans here except to stay off the state highways and maybe go for a boat ride if it ever stops raining. Forecast is sorta positive for Saturday, only a 30% chance of rain.
Local volunteer fire dept has its annual Field Days with fireworks. The people watching is always prime.
I may have to do some meat marinating for the grill - spiedies comes to mind. I can still grill in the rain under a covered porch.
Just a nice easy going weekend...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

DH and and I will be doing some work at our rental house - mainly painting and some trim work. Even with a cast on his arm, you'd be surprised what that man can do! I'm sure we'll be picking up some steaks and corn for the grill and perhaps a nice bottle of wine too.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Probably staying inside where it's air conditioned. Pretty much like any summer day down here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

We usually have a party but since we just had one for Father's Day we are laying low . You can see all the area fireworks from our deck so we usually sit outside with a glass of wine and just enjoy the show.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
gone traveling

Getting the whole family together for a celebration/reunion in KC on the 4th and a funeral service on the 5th- finally getting mom's and dad's ashes mixed and laid to rest. Bittersweet, because realistically this might be be the last time we will be able to get everyone together; the kids and grandkids are all growing up, moving away, and and moving on with their lives.

Happy fourth to everyone here on FIRE! (enjoy the FIREworks ?... )
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Grilling and chilling with a handful of folks, maybe 10 or 12 total at our place. I'm sure the boys will be setting off some fireworks in the back yard to scare the dogs. I'm sure we'll put on some hoop conducive music and a friend may bring her fire hoop and fire poi. Should be lots of fun.

I've got a big Boston Butt to cook, plus BBQ chicken and vegetables. Anyone want to throw out a recipe and directions for cooking the butt? It has been a while. I want to cook it in the oven and finish it on the grill. Thawing today.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Anyone want to throw out a recipe and directions for cooking the butt?
Nude sunbathing while laying flat on your stomach usually works.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I've got a big Boston Butt to cook, plus BBQ chicken and vegetables. Anyone want to throw out a recipe and directions for cooking the butt? It has been a while. I want to cook it in the oven and finish it on the grill. Thawing today.

Are you using the Butt for pulled pork ? If so I sear it in a dutch oven then put it in the oven with a lid on for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 325 when you can pull it apart it's done . I then pull it apart and put it in a crock pot with barbecue sauce . I've made this recipe a lot and it always gets praise .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Frank's huge extended family always puts on a big bash down at the fish camp in St. Bernard Parish. With their kids and friends, there will be dozens and dozens of people down there and they put on the largest private fireworks display imaginable. (Seriously! many of us could live for a year on what they spend on fireworks each year.) There will be a seafood boil and grilling going on, and fishing, swimming, and loud music. We are not party people but we told them we might show up briefly.

Other than that - - sleep in!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Frank's huge extended family always puts on a big bash down at the camp in St. Bernard Parish. With their kids and friends, there will be dozens and dozens of people down there and they put on the largest private fireworks display imaginable. (Seriously! many of us could live for a year on what they spend on fireworks each year.) We are not party people but we told them we might show up briefly.

Other than that - - sleep in!
No camp, no extended family - but combined BBQ with neighbors and I will probably will spend more on fireworks than a sane adult normally would.

At age 66 - it's an inner child thing.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Put up the flag, six pack by the porch swing, watch the world go by.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, tradition. We’ll walk four blocks to a place that gets a partial view of the firew*rks, and trespass onto someone’s entrance sidewalk for a less crowded view of the show through the fog. Then comes the good part, walk back home and watch the parade walk by the window, thousands of them who couldn’t find nearby parking.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (4.1 KB, 88 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We're invited to a party that a friend has on Lake Lewisville. This is his 26th annual party...all kind of musicians are there, plenty of food and drink.

I didn't say I'd go...I said we are invited. Depends on how hot it is and how brave I am........
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Friday - kayaking the Kishwaukee River downstream from Rockford, Ill.

Saturday - all day with the kids and grandkids. Cookout, yard games, fireworks, etc.

Sunday - kayaking the Fox River downstream from Yorkville, Ill.

Monday - sleep in, lounge around the house all day resting.........
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We're invited to a party that a friend has on Lake Lewisville. This is his 26th annual party...all kind of musicians are there, plenty of food and drink.

I didn't say I'd go...I said we are invited. Depends on how hot it is and how brave I am........
Hot day + Lake = ?

Sounds like a fun outing.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just some burgers on the grill. Besides there is always fireworks at our place.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Grillin', swillin', and chillin'...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Are you using the Butt for pulled pork ? If so I sear it in a dutch oven then put it in the oven with a lid on for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 325 when you can pull it apart it's done . I then pull it apart and put it in a crock pot with barbecue sauce . I've made this recipe a lot and it always gets praise .
Moe, that is exactly what I was looking for. Perfect! Thank you very much. I'll cook it tomorrow so it can sit in the sauce on Saturday.

Ziggy, another good method is to snorkel in Belize with cheap sunscreen poorly applied to your hamhocks!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hot day + Lake = ?

Sounds like a fun outing.
I did say it depends on how brave I am.....
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've got a big Boston Butt...
I thought you were a southern girl...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote