Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What'd you major in?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:43 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Business. I have an Associate Degree only. Proud I finished though.
Took me 10 years.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk
My plan was to become a psychiatrist. I actually am a psychiatrist but most of my work now is sleep medicine where my electrical engineering experience is very handy.
Shock therapy?

JG
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BSc in Chemistry.

Entire working life in various IT jobs, currently security. ER in 07 after 34 years.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 AM   #24

BS Business - did it on a 80/20 company reimbursement. Ended up in computers but it sure helps to understand how the business works.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Started out in chemistry but missed most of the first few weeks of calculus and got back in the nick of time for a test (I was a real mature freshman). Dropped out of chem and switched to psychology. Interned for a year in a state mental hospital where I did well but learned that I wanted nothing to do with clinical pysch. The degree was about as relevant as any liberal arts degree to my 20 year career in HR. When I made a mid-career change to IT I had to do a ton of self education to bring myself up to speed.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:27 AM   #26

AAS and BS in Criminal Justice. I was just short of a minor in business management by 6 credits, but when I finished the CJ degree I received a $50 per month pay raise. : My student loan was $52 per month.

Both of the degrees are worthless, the theories don't translate to the street, and none of the communication skills are used on the street. The only time those skills are used is in court. When talking to people, I find I have to dumb down my language to be understood. If I had to do it over, I'd probably major in some type of business discipline.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Funny, when I go to the doctor I still sometimes wonder if this was one of those guys that memorized his way through O Chem and never really understood P Chem. Maybe they were the ones that didn't get into Med School.

MB
Check. Memorized my way through O Chem (got 2 B's), but took Quantative Analysis in lieu of P.Chem, and didn't get into Med school. I'm glad i didn't too, because I dont think i wouldn't have liked my life as a doctor (and during med school) as much as i do as a Biologist working for the Federal government.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Accounting. I guess it worked out ok.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

BS in Math
MS in Computer Science
Old 10-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

BA in Economics/History
MBA in Accounting/Finance

The CFA material (at least levels I & II) was heavily redundant with the MBA, but I figured the letters after my name were worth the trouble.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:07 AM   #31

BS Civil Engineering w/ Transportation Engineering concentration
BA Spanish Language and Literature

Both from North Carolina State University. Took me 3 years to get both due to tons of AP credits and "credit by exam" for a class or two and taking a few easy courses during high school (you know, calculus III, differential equations, thermodynamics and intro to electrical engineering : ).

Figured I was pretty clever and got a Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law. Figured I'd make a good attorney. Wrong! After a few summers of unenjoyable legal work during school, I figured engineering would be infinitely more interesting.

Well, after a few years on the job in engineering, I'd say things worked out pretty well. The legal education helped me get a grasp on how the "real world" works, and occasionally comes in handy at work.

Spanish Degree? It broadened my horizons, but the biggest benefit is being able to understand spanish at level approaching fluency.

Would I change things if I could? I'd probably get a master's in engineering in 1-2 years instead of a law degree in 3 years for professional reasons. Plus the loans and foregone earnings during law school definitely set me back a couple of years from my FIRE goals (now it'll be mid thirties when I FIRE instead of early 30's ).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 AM   #32

BS Math back when schooling was cheap. Entire working life has been in software.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

BA in English Literature. Worked as an Industrial Engineer, Court Reporter, Supervisor and Application Developer before ERing. I think I may have missed a few career changes, but it is all moot now.
paradiseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Sounds as if this should be a poll.

Major - Finance & Accounting - Good Major - Yes and no -

Provided me with a financially rewarding career but not an intrinsicly rewarding

If there were computers with MS Word functionality I may have gone into another career - I can't spell; typing was a workout on manual typewritters; corrections difficult and I have terriable handwritting.

But more than the major chosen I think a good mentor giving good advise is more valuable than the actual university degree. With most any degree and field you can find a niche that would be rewarding.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #35

BBA. Got it by going to night school, after I had 3 kids. I began an MBA, got 18 hours, but the military moved me, and only 6 of the hours would transfer to another MBA program. By then I was tired of school.

BTW, I started out taking English in Europe from the University of Maryland. Had about 30 hours there, came to Texas and decided to go into the business program. I do wish I had stayed in English. I suspect I'd have been much happier.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

AAS in Electrical Engineering Technology - Jefferson CC, Louisville
BS in Business Administration - UT Dallas

Should've been a rock star... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I started out thinking I wanted to major in phys ed and coach. I ended up majoring in English upon discovering that my high school English teachers had a good program going and I was able to turn out papers without the agony of many of my jock buddies. Law school came after a few years of teaching. I took some "fun" courses on Saturdays once in awhile and thought that when I ER'd from trial work, I might do grad work in anthropology. Scared off by the number of years a Phd. would take, I am now working on an MFA in creative writing.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #38

Took Business Admin, Majored in Marketing.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Started off in pre-med and switched to chemistry. Took as many electives as possible in business and really enjoyed them. Ended up working in the chemistry field for a couple of years and then switching careers to computer sales with Megacorp and loved it. This was in the late 70's and 80's and the income was great and the industry was booming. It was really fun! Saved and invested those great commissions in the market, which allowed us to be FI and then left the business to stay home with my kids. Took all the coursework for a CFP so I could do a better job of investing and advising family on financial planning. Never wanted to be a practicing financial planner, just know enough to help the family...
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

BS in Electrical Engineering
MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering
both from UT

Turned out to be a very enjoyable career choice for me - I was well suited to product design. In college there were so few of us ladies in engineering we got way more attention than we wanted! Fortunately it was mostly positive attention.

Unlike Brat, late 70s early 80s was a GREAT time to be a woman entering these hard science/engineering fields. But I had a girlfriend who had tried in the 60s and literally could not get hired due to her sex.

Audrey