Join Early Retirement Today

What's a Good Sized Monitor?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's a Good Sized Monitor?

What's the common monitor size today? I have a desktop and switched from Win XP to 7. I have a 19 inch monitor which worked fine under XP, but under seven, the picture is a bit small for my eyes.

I can change the resolution around, but then some of the view gets cut out.

Is 24" the most common monitor size today?

p.s. I do have a graphics card use a DVI cable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
What's the common monitor size today? I have a desktop and switched from Win XP to 7. I have a 19 inch monitor which worked fine under XP, but under seven, the picture is a bit small for my eyes.

I can change the resolution around, but then some of the view gets cut out.

Is 24" the most common monitor size today?

p.s. I do have a graphics card use a DVI cable.
I'd say get the biggest wide screen monitor you can find. I have a 24, and I'll get bigger next time.

Ha

Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Administrator

I do not use my desktop computer any more. It is an old Vista machine with a 21" monitor that was "the cat's meow" in its day, but now seems awfully small to me.

If I was replacing the monitor for a desktop computer I would consider buying a flatscreen TV (maybe 42"?) to use as a monitor. They are so much less expensive than they once were.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

At about an arms length away, I like 24".
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have 27" monitors. The big thing to me though is to have dual monitors.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #6

At megacorp it was either 30" or dual 24". I'm guessing for home use 27" now are pretty common. I'd allocate a big chunk of one's computing budget to the monitor and go as big as possible.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggz View Post
At about an arms length away, I like 24".
Thanks. I should have mentioned I'd be using the monitor at arms length.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do not use my desktop computer any more. It is an old Vista machine with a 21" monitor that was "the cat's meow" in its day, but now seems awfully small to me.

If I was replacing the monitor for a desktop computer I would consider buying a flatscreen TV (maybe 42"?) to use as a monitor. They are so much less expensive than they once were.
Wow. 42 inches. Which begs the question, do you use the computer from the sofa? Don't know if it's true or not, but I read somewhere that you don't want one too big as that'll lead to too any eye movements and cause strain elsewhere. I guess kind of like sitting in the front row of a theatre.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Wow. 42 inches. Which begs the question, do you use the computer from the sofa? Don't know if it's true or not, but I read somewhere that you don't want one too big as that'll lead to too any eye movements and cause strain elsewhere. I guess kind of like sitting in the front row of a theatre.
So, pick the size that appeals to you, then. A lot depends on your setup and how far away from the monitor you intend to sit, as you point out. I know several people who are using larger TV's than that as monitors and who are happy with them. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what size you prefer, though, so go for it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I use a 27" monitor at arms length.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, pick the size that appeals to you, then. A lot depends on your setup and how far away from the monitor you intend to sit, as you point out. I know several people who are using larger TV's than that as monitors and who are happy with them. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what size you prefer, though, so go for it!
I'm leaning towards a 24 inch. The extra five inches more than what I have hopefully will do the trick. Now I have 2 very crisp 19 inch ones but unfortunately, my eyes have gotten older and have to squint to see the smaller size characters
Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a 24 inch. The extra five inches more than what I have hopefully will do the trick. Now I have 2 very crisp 19 inch ones but unfortunately, my eyes have gotten older and have to squint to see the smaller size characters
Another thing to consider is that you may want to use higher resolution with a bigger monitor, if you are not already using it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm currently investigating a setup with a 32-37" HDTV as the display for someone with macular degeneration. He's currently using a 24" monitor at 800x600 pixels. Placement, lighting, and display control, including element contrast is also important.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The big thing to me though is to have dual monitors.
Agreed.....we have dual monitors on one of our 'puters...invaluable sometimes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I just replaced a 19" 4:3 with a 23" 16:9. I would have gotten a 24-27", but it wouldn't have fit the opening in my computer desk.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I use a 27" monitor at arms length.
+1
Also, I have a pair of prescription glasses set for exactly that distance. I keep the glasses next to the keyboard.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #17

I have a couple of 27" monitors. We were talking about this a few weeks ago and I think some of my colleagues were surprised that I actually use the dual monitors to be able to work on multiple things at the same time. I guess they mostly use the extra monitor for private web surfing.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #18

27" monitor for me as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #19

Wow! I never thought of a dual 27" monitor setup. This forum sure is hard on my budget!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #20

I use a 24" monitor but the next one will be 30" or larger. One issue is that I want a full color range and the normal office-type monitor doesn't cut it for photo editing. Those run double or triple the price of an office monitor. The good news is that like all electronic stuff the prices are dropping.

For even normal stuff the IPS (in plane switching) screen is noticeably sharper and clearer than the office type monitor.