Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, I could come up during the summer to do a few jobs-- I forget, is that the 16th or the 18th of August?

I've lost every "winterizing" skill that I ever had...
Nords, you wouldn't even know you weren't in Hawaii right now... 70s-80's with steady tradewinds from the west and a heck of a lot of blue water off starboard.

Oh, but it does get down in the 50's at night by Martha. Bring a jacket for the luau.

Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'll do the thinnin' around here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickdraw.JPG (7.7 KB, 41 views)

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Help me out here- I have never been able to figure out this line of thought-

Let's say it takes 40 hours for the painting. Nords would charge me $25/hr for it. If I do the job myself, I save $1000 . (Real money that I didn't have to take out of my ER account and put into Nord's ER account.)

If I operate under the premise that my time is worth more than that, then I will pay Nords $1000 to have him paint the house for me while I eat Cheetos and watch the Playboy Channel. Did I actually earn that $1000 during the time he took to paint the house? NO-I wasn't earning any offsetting amount while Nords was painting for me. So how can my time be worth more than what Nords is charging me to paint?

I have heard a similar analogy that say Bill Gates can't afford to stop and pick up a $100 bill on the sidewalk. because he makes a so many millions per hour...

Although I well-compensated in my professional career, a lot of what I have today I made working in my "free" time- building, remodeling, and general sweat equity. My net worth is a couple of million, but I have always enjoyed doing a the concrete, framing, roofing, siding, electrical and drywall on my projects. If I had tried to put a fair-market dollar value on these tasks and contracted all of them out at those prices, my net worth today would be substantially less. Not spending the money for tasks I can do myself is the key for me. Every hour I am not paying someone else is, in essence, money I am paying myself. So for me, the net effect is more than double the hypothetical $25.00- I figure the boost in equity at a minimum of $25.00 (or I wouldn't be doing it in the first place) and add the $25 that I earned working somewhere else that I didn't have to spend on the project.

Anyone else use the same logic on pricing their sweat equity?
We use that logic for DW, not for me. DW has a consulting business, and can always run the ATM machine that looks just like a laptop - she has more work than she knows what to do with.

I'm salaried, so last week I was on vacation and I painted, hung cabinets, refinished the play structure, cleared brush, fixed sprinklers, trenched....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #44
gone traveling
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I often joke that I want a big yard, a pile of dirt, and a Bobcat when I retire. I'll go out in the morning and move the dirt from one side of the yard to the other. Then I'll go out the next morning and moving it back... it's just like my current job but I'll feel like I actually accomplished something at the end of the day.

I love painting. It lets my mind wander to other places, gives me a solid task to do, and I know when I'm done. I don't need to tape off any more but I still don't trust myself to work without a dropcloth (don't need it for splatters, but you never know when you or the dog is going to step in the paint tray). It's helped that my wife is color-choice challenged. I painted some walls in our bedroom 13 times and did the whole interior twice (including learning how to skim coat to fix bad drywall).
I used to own a Bobcat.. with a backhoe attachment- and 130' of lakefront property I was building on in Eastern Washington that needed a lot of dirt moved....almost every weekend...It was better than sex, which probably explains the subsequent divorce....

Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote