What's cookin' for the Super Bowl?

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I read that Americans consume 1200 calories during the game alone.

How to burn off 1,200 Super Bowl calories | HLNtv.com

To keep that average up, we're whipping up some pulled pork on my smoker. Add some chips, cole slaw, macaroni salad and some beer, and I should pass 1200 calories by half time.

pulledpork.jpg

So what is everyone cooking / eating during the game?

Super Bowl?
That's coming up sometime this month, isn't it?

That pork looks delicious. Next year let's all party at your place.:D

We're having sushi and sashimi (from the nearby grocer), a little smoked salmon, hummus, guacamole, pita chips, tortilla chips, and beer.

I read that Americans consume 1200 calories during the game alone.

How to burn off 1,200 Super Bowl calories | HLNtv.com

To keep that average up, we're whipping up some pulled pork on my smoker. Add some chips, cole slaw, macaroni salad and some beer, and I should pass 1200 calories by half time.

pulledpork.jpg

So what is everyone cooking / eating during the game?

That looks good.

Between the Pepsi, chips, dips, lil' smokies, boneless buffalo wings, and pizza. I should be at 1200 calories before the first quarter. :blush:

Boston Cream Pie martinis...

Vanilla vodka, chocolate liqueur, Irish cream.

I think there'll be some food, too, but one should never eat on an empty stomach.

Last edited:
Burritos filled with beef/beans/peppers with toppings of chili, queso, guacamole, tomatoes and lettuce. Chips and salsa. Margaritas/beer.

Tomorrow...ice cream. :p

Crock pot chilli with andioulle sausage and beef...homemade bread, salad, vanilla bean cheesecake with strawberries. Of course chip, guaq and salsa and a variety of adult beverages will be served as well.

I'm putting out a "make your own sandwiches" spread. That way I get to enjoy the game, too. ;)

The party we are going to is a cook-out .So dips, hamburgers , hot dogs ,sausage , wings , and beer .

Today at lunchtime (within the hour) we'll be trying to find our way around the Mardi Gras parade that passes half a block from F.'s house. I will drive (leaving right now, actually!) and will see how bad the traffic is when I get there. if necessary he can walk in the other direction, until he is far enough away that I can pick him up. Then we'll leave the parade area and look for a restaurant that is open.

Superbowl is at dinnertime, and hopefully we will both be safely home before that happens. His stepmother holds a lavish Superbowl party every year, but we never attend because we are not football fans. She understands, and we are very happy to be avoiding all the extra calories.

I have the brisket out in the grill right now...

I will be doing a chicken later in the day as it does not take as long...

Some of our own 'flat pan beans'... basically baked beans with jalapaneos, onion, and a few other things with some bacon on top... baked in the oven.... hence the name flat pan beans....

We have a beef stew. Formerly was chili, but with the granddaughter and one DIL not much liking hot food and others hating the "bland soup" version of chili we have switched to other stews.

In some ways I would prefer to watch at GF's, or in a sports bar, because it is harder to stay in this very long game with all that is going on in the room.

And I hate the TV crap that goes with the game, including this year's example of "entertainment" by some old muscle bound virago. If we need elderly entertainers, I say give a permanent position to Santana.

Ha

Heading down to my son's to make Heaven on Seven, chicken and sausage gumbo. When we make gumbo, it is an entire family affair, of cutting, dicing, mixing and simmering.

And don't forget the gumbo beer! (you might ask what is gumbo beer, answer, any beer that is handy while making gumbo!)

Superbowl? What superbowl?

I took advantage of PF Changs 20% off on on-line to go orders promotion today. You had to pick one of the teams to get the discount, so I had to pay a little attention.

Otherwise, I would have no idea about the superbowl or who is playing it.

Audrey

Had a nice brunch out with Bloody Mary's. So just a bottle of wine with cheese and crackers at halftime for us (beats watching Madonna). We usually go to a Super Bowl party, but since DW is a lifelong Pats fan, if they lose to the Giants in a Super Bowl again, I am going to have a DW meltdown on my hands. So we're watching at home this year. Fingers and toes crossed...:eek:

I'm making a spinach dip, which I'll have with pork rinds, dark-roasted almonds coated with butter and KCl, and a Michelob Ultra beer.

Big pot of green chile pork stew on the stove - it's a new recipe so I hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

We ate our main Sunday meal at noon today at a free community dinner at one of the local churches. So later on IF we get hungry, I'll run down to Little Caesar's and grab a $5 "Quick & Ready" large pepperoni pizza!!! And then about 9 o'clock we'll cruise up to Culver's for a frozen custard sundae!

Oh, and as far as the 'Super Bowl' goes, we'll pass on it and watch the Western Channel instead! Nothing like watching a few good ol' westerns.....and commercial-free to boot!!!! ;)

DH is having Buffalo Hot Wings and I will probably make myself a black bean, corn, salsa wrap. We will probably have some Kettle Korn popcorn too. We are definitely not too into the game this year, since the Steelers are not playing. I guess I hope that the Giants will win, but really don't care all that much.

We're not watching Super Bowl, opting instead to watch some programs on the BBC iPlayer. I just whipped up some guacamole with lovely soft and ripe avocados, and we'll be munching on soy and flaxseed tortilla chips from Trader Joe's with the guac.

This evening, no carbs with the meal, as our afternoon chips will have taken care of that. We'll have salmon with lots of brocolli and yellow and green beans. Oh - and a bottle of cheap $2 cab from Whole Foods.

No Super Bowl here, either, but during halftime our neighbor (who buys curry powder in five-pound bags) dropped off some maunapua! Most of them are pork but she always makes a couple with shrimp...

No Super Bowl here, either, but during halftime our neighbor (who buys curry powder in five-pound bags) dropped off some maunapua! Most of them are pork but she always makes a couple with shrimp...

Yum!!! What a great neighbor. :D

All of our usual restaurants were either impossible to get to due to the parades, or jammed full, so for lunch we tried a different one. We ordered grilled chicken Caesar salad; surely that would have to be a healthy, low calorie selection.

It was served with a large, thick slice of hot cheese pizza entirely covering the salad. Then when we took that off, underneath was a huge piece of butter-grilled chicken and way down on the bottom, no more than a half cup of salad. Oh well! At least we tried.

I think I'm skipping dinner.... :LOL:

Last edited:
Yum!!! What a great neighbor. :D
As you might imagine, she gets free handyman services anytime she wants them. Both sides feel as if we're getting 70% of the good deal.

She's the widow of my friend who died suddenly of a stroke a couple months ago. I think she routinely cooks way more than she needs and gives it away. Even so she's losing weight.

Back
Top Bottom