Join Early Retirement Today

What's cookin' for the Super Bowl?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What's cookin' for the Super Bowl?

I read that Americans consume 1200 calories during the game alone.

How to burn off 1,200 Super Bowl calories | HLNtv.com

To keep that average up, we're whipping up some pulled pork on my smoker. Add some chips, cole slaw, macaroni salad and some beer, and I should pass 1200 calories by half time.

So what is everyone cooking / eating during the game?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

Super Bowl?
That's coming up sometime this month, isn't it?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Administrator

That pork looks delicious. Next year let's all party at your place.

We're having sushi and sashimi (from the nearby grocer), a little smoked salmon, hummus, guacamole, pita chips, tortilla chips, and beer.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I read that Americans consume 1200 calories during the game alone.

How to burn off 1,200 Super Bowl calories | HLNtv.com

To keep that average up, we're whipping up some pulled pork on my smoker. Add some chips, cole slaw, macaroni salad and some beer, and I should pass 1200 calories by half time.

That looks good.

Between the Pepsi, chips, dips, lil' smokies, boneless buffalo wings, and pizza. I should be at 1200 calories before the first quarter.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boston Cream Pie martinis...

Vanilla vodka, chocolate liqueur, Irish cream.

I think there'll be some food, too, but one should never eat on an empty stomach.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Burritos filled with beef/beans/peppers with toppings of chili, queso, guacamole, tomatoes and lettuce. Chips and salsa. Margaritas/beer.

Tomorrow...ice cream.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Crock pot chilli with andioulle sausage and beef...homemade bread, salad, vanilla bean cheesecake with strawberries. Of course chip, guaq and salsa and a variety of adult beverages will be served as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm putting out a "make your own sandwiches" spread. That way I get to enjoy the game, too.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

The party we are going to is a cook-out .So dips, hamburgers , hot dogs ,sausage , wings , and beer .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Today at lunchtime (within the hour) we'll be trying to find our way around the Mardi Gras parade that passes half a block from F.'s house. I will drive (leaving right now, actually!) and will see how bad the traffic is when I get there. if necessary he can walk in the other direction, until he is far enough away that I can pick him up. Then we'll leave the parade area and look for a restaurant that is open.

Superbowl is at dinnertime, and hopefully we will both be safely home before that happens. His stepmother holds a lavish Superbowl party every year, but we never attend because we are not football fans. She understands, and we are very happy to be avoiding all the extra calories.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have the brisket out in the grill right now...

I will be doing a chicken later in the day as it does not take as long...

Some of our own 'flat pan beans'... basically baked beans with jalapaneos, onion, and a few other things with some bacon on top... baked in the oven.... hence the name flat pan beans....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #12

Nothing... I flew back from El Salvador last night with a very severe GI upset. Dieting, resting and keeping hydrated only today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We have a beef stew. Formerly was chili, but with the granddaughter and one DIL not much liking hot food and others hating the "bland soup" version of chili we have switched to other stews.

In some ways I would prefer to watch at GF's, or in a sports bar, because it is harder to stay in this very long game with all that is going on in the room.

And I hate the TV crap that goes with the game, including this year's example of "entertainment" by some old muscle bound virago. If we need elderly entertainers, I say give a permanent position to Santana.

Ha
Old 02-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading down to my son's to make Heaven on Seven, chicken and sausage gumbo. When we make gumbo, it is an entire family affair, of cutting, dicing, mixing and simmering.

And don't forget the gumbo beer! (you might ask what is gumbo beer, answer, any beer that is handy while making gumbo!)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Superbowl? What superbowl?

I took advantage of PF Changs 20% off on on-line to go orders promotion today. You had to pick one of the teams to get the discount, so I had to pay a little attention.

Otherwise, I would have no idea about the superbowl or who is playing it.

Audrey
Old 02-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Had a nice brunch out with Bloody Mary's. So just a bottle of wine with cheese and crackers at halftime for us (beats watching Madonna). We usually go to a Super Bowl party, but since DW is a lifelong Pats fan, if they lose to the Giants in a Super Bowl again, I am going to have a DW meltdown on my hands. So we're watching at home this year. Fingers and toes crossed...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm making a spinach dip, which I'll have with pork rinds, dark-roasted almonds coated with butter and KCl, and a Michelob Ultra beer.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #18

Big pot of green chile pork stew on the stove - it's a new recipe so I hope it tastes as good as it sounds.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #19

We ate our main Sunday meal at noon today at a free community dinner at one of the local churches. So later on IF we get hungry, I'll run down to Little Caesar's and grab a $5 "Quick & Ready" large pepperoni pizza!!! And then about 9 o'clock we'll cruise up to Culver's for a frozen custard sundae!

Oh, and as far as the 'Super Bowl' goes, we'll pass on it and watch the Western Channel instead! Nothing like watching a few good ol' westerns.....and commercial-free to boot!!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #20

DH is having Buffalo Hot Wings and I will probably make myself a black bean, corn, salsa wrap. We will probably have some Kettle Korn popcorn too. We are definitely not too into the game this year, since the Steelers are not playing. I guess I hope that the Giants will win, but really don't care all that much.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote