Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What's everyone reading?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Youjimbou Jitsugetsushou," by Fujisawa Shuuhei. An out-of-work samurai swallows his pride and takes a job as bodyguard for someone's pet dog(?!). But all is not as it seems...
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Anything by charles bucowski and The Idler, How to be Idle and all other productions of the Idler.
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
"The Mission Song" by John Le Carre. Le Carre is fascinated by Africa, or at least "The Constant Gardner and The Mission Song" seem to indicate so. This latest one is about Bruno Salvador, a Congolese interperter, who is fluent is several languages, including some I never heard of. He's drawn into a big meeting of African hotshots and he's not to let them know he can speak so many languages. This allows him to overhear stuff and well, the plot goes on from there. Apparently the meeting is about installing a new government in the Congo which will be beneficial to "the people." Sound familiar? I like almost anything Mr. Le Carre" writes, as I think his timing and dialogue are superb.

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Song-N.../dp/0316016748

I really loved Le Carre during the cold war. I did not like the Contant Gardener and really really didn't not like the movie based on the book. Is Mission Song better?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I really loved Le Carre during the cold war. I did not like the Contant Gardener and really really didn't not like the movie based on the book. Is Mission Song better?
I think so, but it might not be your cup of tea. It's a little slow, at times, as Le Carre introduces the Congolese warlords. It could have been cut a little but I like Le Carre's character interplay.Nothing is as it seems, especially the do-gooders who are actually exploiters. Since our hero, Salvo, has all this language mastery, he can understand what's happening, which adds to his predicament and tension to the story. Will he out them? Or not.

When he is recruited for this mission, he is told it is good for the country and africa. The novel shows political hypocrisy as in:
QUOTE:

"Should factional divisiveness render a fair distribution unworkable, the Mwangaza would on his own responsibility appoint a panel of trusted representatives charged with allocating what was henceforth described as "the People's Portion". Hallelujah! Here at last was the source of money for schools, roads, hospitals, and the next lot of kids coming on, just as Maxie had promised! UNQUOTE.

Of course they intend to milk all the resources they can and leave nothing for the "people's portion". It's the greedy multi-nationals, natch, which Le Carre hated in The Constant Gardner and still does. I find this tiresome and banal. Everybody knows the large corps suck. I mean it would be a challenge to write a novel where the multi-national was the good guy, but what do I know.

I still like his writing and this story. It's amazing when you realize he's 75 years old and still writing good fiction, IMHO.

Try the first chapter and if it's too slow, skip it.

Here's an excerpt, the first chapter:

http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews2...48-excerpt.asp

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just checked out from the library: The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses - I'd like to give his method a try and see if I can improve my eyesight. I'd save some money if I wouldn't have to replace my lenses each year.

I'm also reading The Boglehead's by Vanguard Diehards Larimore, Lindauer and LeBoeuf.

And Dreamweaver for Dummies.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeofalltrades
I just checked out from the library: The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses - I'd like to give his method a try and see if I can improve my eyesight. I'd save some money if I wouldn't have to replace my lenses each year.
I didn't see the , but I assume you are joking.

I thought Bates wrote this book on eyesight improvement when he was still a lad . . .

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeofalltrades
I'm also reading The Boglehead's by Vanguard Diehards Larimore, Lindauer and LeBoeuf.
With glasses or without?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #48

I am currently reading Seven UP, A Stephanie Plum Novel, by Janet Evanovich. It is a series of 12 books regarding an inept female bounty hunter from Jersey and her family in the Burg. This is very light reading and funny. I am also reading, Hold Nothing Back, How sacrificial obedience leads to intimacy with God by Alicia Williamson. She is a religious singer who has been at 2 of the Mountaintop weekends when I was at them. The 2 library books are The Number by Lee Eisenberg and 10 Lessons to Transform Your Marriage by John M Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman.

I also plan to look for some of the books at the library that others here have enjoyed.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
10 Lessons to Transform Your Marriage by John M Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman.
Let us know what you think of this when you are finished. I'm not thinking we need a transformation, but its always nice to get good tips!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

SamClem:
Quote:
I thought Bates wrote this book on eyesight improvement when he was still a lad . . .
You mean young Master Bates? I heard he eventually went blind ...
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
SamClem:
Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
SamClem:
Nope, just took on a co-writer. Harry Palms.

JG
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

At home, I read mainly while pottying DS and before crashing each night. So what I read depends on 1. mood, 2. which floor we're pottying on:

DOWNSTAIRS (from the library):
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's search for everything across italy, india, and indonesia
http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Pray-Love-...e=UTF8&s=books

From Dawn to Decadence: 500 Years of Western Cultural Life 1500 to the Present
http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Decadence...e=UTF8&s=books

UPSTAIRS:
Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe (this I bought)
http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Wendy-Guid...e=UTF8&s=books

I also love Jane Austen. This is one author I wish wasn't dead b/c I've immensely enjoyed her books so much. Not that I wish any author dead. Personal favorite Sense and Sensibility, which I also love listening to on tape, and can repeat conversations verbatim.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
From Dawn to Decadence: 500 Years of Western Cultural Life 1500 to the Present
I read about half the book and didn't like it. I never really got the "thesis" of the book and it seemed more like a smattering of historical facts. It seemed stylistically very academic. Didn't retain my interest long enough to finish it. I may have to revisit it though. Some of Barzun's other works look promising.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote