Join Early Retirement Today

What's everyone reading?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's everyone reading?

I thought I would recycle this one. I just finished (or am into) four
(4) books. BTW, these are quite typical of what I read, i.e. no
financial/business stuff and no fiction.

The Reno Court of Inquiry (Court record of Major Reno at Custer battle)
Flyboys (History of aviation in warfare, pretty gruesome but good)
U.S. Grant memoirs (Tough read unless you are a history buff)
Gellhorn (Bio of Hemingway's 3rd wife. Enjoyed it so much I may read it again)

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What's everyone reading?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't read fiction in a long time, but recently saw a book called "1,001 books to read before you die", and I've decided to start on that. I've read many many clasics when I was young, so now I am reading more "current" stuff.

So far, I 've read "Never let me go" and moving onto "Timbuktu".

Lena

Old 10-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Technology in World Civilization: A Thousand-Year History - Arnold Pacey (It's actually a textbook - but a good read. A little dry, but the facts are very interesting. A little overly simplistic due to covering 1000 years of technology in the entire world in 200 pages. Interesting illustrations.)

Just finished Atlas Shrugged (took 4 months : ).

Just finished Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities - Alexandra Robbins (Interesting - the "secrets" weren't as intriguing as I had hoped.)
Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
I haven't read fiction in a long time, but recently saw a book called "1,001 books to read before you die", and I've decided to start on that. I've read many many clasics when I was young, so now I am reading more "current" stuff.

So far, I 've read "Never let me go" and moving onto "Timbuktu".

Lena
A woman I dated (yes, I was single) turned me onto Jane Austen.
Thought I would hate it but agreed to give it a try. I was amazed.
The stuff is timeless. My fav. was 'Emma'.

JG
Old 10-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I just finished The Scent of God. This is a memoir by Beryle Singleton Bissell. Very interesting woman. It is her story of growing up in Puerto Rico and then at 18, joining a cloistered order of nuns in New Jersey. She never loses her faith but does lose her vocation and ends up marrying a priest.

Now back to my usual fiction. I am debating whether to start reading PD James' Death in Holy Orders or Ha Jin's Waiting. Both are sitting here so both will get read.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin

Just finished Atlas Shrugged (took 4 months : ).
Very tough read, even for me. I've read it many many times though.
Also, read most of her other stuff although A.S. is obviously her magnum opus.

JG
Old 10-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds interesting. I'm ashamed to say I rarely read a book. But I do plan to read some as I move into retirement. I want to keep what brain I have active.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
...I'm ashamed to say I rarely read a book. But I do plan to read some as I move into retirement. I want to keep what brain I have active.
Before I FIREd, I read a lot, mostly fiction/mind candy. I too was looking forward to spending more time reading in retirement, but I've only read a couple of books in the past 16 months of my new life, free from w*rk.

I'm not sure why. Maybe I no longer have a need to read as as an escape, and I always seem to find something else I'd rather be doing.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #9

Reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

I thought I wouldn't like it, but it is strangely addictive.

I'm going thru a phase of reading all the stuff I've bought and left sitting in piles for years, before I buy any more books. Last week was Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. That too was better than expected.

I read all of Jane Austen in one of my phases- I agree JG Emma is the best.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Administrator

Current Book - Agincourt: Henry V and the Battle That Made England by Juliet Barker

Last week - Infidels: A History of Conflict Between Christendom and Islam by Andrew Wheatcroft

Week before - Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #11

Jimmy Carter - Our Endangered Values - On cd - read by Jimmy - does a nice job summarizing what a mess Bush is making...

Five Lessons - Ben Hogan

Old 10-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #12

I'm just starting "The Architecture of Happiness" by Alain de Botton. I've read almost all his books and really like them - he's going to be reading at the library here in Seattle tomorrow, so we're going.

I just finished Nora Ephron's - "I feel bad about my neck". It was v. funny.

At the same time I'm reading "How to be Idle" by Tom Hodgkinson - another member of this forum recommended it to me - its a bit silly, but fun.

And yes, I can pick up my Jane Austen books anytime I need a good read. The language itself is just brilliant.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I'm just starting "The Architecture of Happiness" by Alain de Botton. I've read almost all his books and really like them - he's going to be reading at the library here in Seattle tomorrow, so we're going.
Wow - never heard of it. Too busy creating the Architecture of Misery.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Science fiction-- I just finished the brand-new "Mission to Minerva" for fans of James P. Hogan's "Giants" stories.

Nonfiction-- "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Published" and "TCIGT Writing a Novel". I picked them up on a whim and was surprised at how interesting they are. It completely changed the way I read books now, and unfortunately the first victim of my new perception will be:

Fiction-- Frederick Forsyth's "The Veteran".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I guess the last book I read was 'Between a Rock and a Hardplace'. They had a segment on this guy several months ago on Dateline. It was interesting.

Synopsis:

"One of the most extraordinary survival stories ever told -- Aron Ralston's searing account of his six days trapped in one of the most remote spots in America, and how one inspired act of bravery brought him home. It started out as a simple hike in the Utah canyonlands on a warm Saturday afternoon. For Aron Ralston, a twenty-seven-year-old mountaineer and outdoorsman, a walk into the remote Blue John Canyon was a chance to get a break from a winter of solo climbing Colorado's highest and toughest peaks. He'd earned this weekend vacation, and though he met two charming women along the way, by early afternoon he finally found himself in his element: alone, with just the beauty of the natural world all around him. It was 2:41 P.M. Eight miles from his truck, in a deep and narrow slot canyon, Aron was climbing down off a wedged boulder when the rock suddenly, and terrifyingly, came loose. Before he could get out of the way, the falling stone pinned his right hand and wrist against the canyon wall. And so began six days of hell for Aron Ralston. With scant water and little food, no jacket for the painfully cold nights, and the terrible knowledge that he'd told no one where he was headed, he found himself facing a lingering death -- trapped by an 800-pound boulder 100 feet down in the bottom of a canyon. As he eliminated his escape options one by one through the days, Aron faced the full horror of his predicament: By the time any possible search and rescue effort would begin, he'd most probably have died of dehydration, if a flash flood didn't drown him before that. What does one do in the face of almost certain death? Using the video camera from his pack, Aron began recording his grateful good-byes to his family and friends all over the country, thinking back over a life filled with adventure, and documenting a last will and testament with the hope that someone would find it. (For their part, his family and friends had instigated a major search for Aron, the amazing details of which are also documented here for the first time.) The knowledge of their love kept Aron Ralston alive, until a divine inspiration on Thursday morning solved the riddle of the boulder. Aron then committed the most extreme act imaginable to save himself. Between a Rock and a Hard Place -- a brilliantly written, funny, honest, inspiring, and downright astonishing report from the line where death meets life -- will surely take its place in the annals of classic adventure stories. "
Old 10-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Wow - never heard of it. Too busy creating the Architecture of Misery.
I think you would really like this book - it is about how architecture affects us.

My favorite of his though is "The Art of Travel" - one bit in that book really hit home with me - we go to these exotic places that look perfect on the brochure (or in a painting that we've seen) but we inadvertently bring ourselves (with our needs like hunger and tiredness) into the picture and ruin the perfection! funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"TCIGT Writing a Novel". I picked them up on a whim and was surprised at how interesting they are. It completely changed the way I read books
I'm going to get his for DH, he says he'd like to write a novel. Maybe it will prompt him to actually ER in March.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
... until a divine inspiration on Thursday morning solved the riddle of the boulder.
Isn't this is the guy they call "Lefty" now?

Quote:
I'm going to get his for DH, he says he'd like to write a novel. Maybe it will prompt him to actually ER in March.
I have an even better recommendation for that situation: Stephen King's "On Writing", of course without the cocaine & booze...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I read How Proust Can Change Your Life by this author. I didnít get as much change as I had hoped for, but I did enjoy it.

The Nora Ephron book I would be afraid of. My wife read me a piece she wrote about aging-- I think from a recent Vogue. As I remember she had just lost a dear friend to some typically horrible illness- maybe pancreatic cancer?-anyway, I had to ask her to stop reading because it was definitely darkening my mood. I don't like dark moods on the weekend. Anyway I am completely capable of generating my own whenever I should need one.

Just started Recollections of My Life as a Woman, by Diane Di Prima. Itís a history of the beat years from the perspective of a woman poet and beat.

I also am always reading at least one of two financial or financial history books.

I am impressed by the reading people here choose. I plan to write down some of what you are all reading to get to myself over time.

Ha

Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
The Nora Ephron book I would be afraid of.
Some of it could be a little dark, but its mostly just funny - like she questions why women spend so much money on purses just to keep their linty stray tic tacs in it ! Also, being still in my 30s it made me realize that I should not be so critical of my body now cause its probably the best it will ever be! (maybe I should have put that on the women's thread)
Old 10-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

JG,

believe it or not, I never read Jane Austin. I am, however, very familiar with many other European and Russian authors from 18th, beggining of 19th century.

I was surprised to see that Ayn Rand never made the list. May be that should tell me something about it.

However, "never let me go" turned out to be a very good read. Never expected to be science fiction, though.

Lena