Join Early Retirement Today

What's For Christmas Eve & Christmas Day?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What's For Christmas Eve & Christmas Day?

OK Folks--

Christmas will soon be here. We've talked about booze and crockpots, so the question is: what are ya'll having for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day get-togethers this year?

Happy Holidays to each of you on this forum.

The Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rubber turkey at the hospital for me.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I are having the family over for Lobster tails and Prime Rib on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day we are going over to DD's to have Shrimp and Lasagna.

Then the day after Christmas we go on a diet again.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

We are having my stress free buffet of ham ,shrimp ,scalloped ptatoes ,salad ,rolls ,seafood spread, appetizers ,christmas cookies and cheese cake on Christmas Eve . Christmas day is usually left overs .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank god those chinese restaurants are always open on Christmas eve.
mn54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Frank's father used to host the entire family for an opulent Christmas Eve dinner, in a private room at one of New Orleans' finest Sicilian restaurants. Frank and I always attended, of course, and his father always footed the bill for everyone. Now that his father has passed away, his stepmother will continue the tradition. About two or three dozen family members attend, since all live in the area.

Then on Christmas Day, the family will get together for Christmas and Christmas dinner at his stepmother's house. There will probably be a fried turkey with oyster stuffing baked separately, and a few very high calorie regional dishes as sides. Usually there are a lot of cookies, chips & dip, and other tidbits to eat beforehand.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #7

Christmas Eve: just the two of us---coq au vin (made with vegetarian "chicken"---stop wincing, wild rice, green veggie.

Christmas Day: us and another couple at our home. Lunch.
Chilled cranberry soup.
Roasted red pepper and mushroom bread pudding.
Salad.

We are unsure about what dessert to make since this couple does not drink alcohol (they haven't explained why) and say they can't even have it in a baked dessert (I had always heard that alcohol bakes out). Some desserts have just a little vanilla extract in it (like a teaspoon between four to six portions) but extract is about 35% alcohol. Does anyone know whether this would be acceptable?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #8

Traditions here include hot wings and home made spaghetti on Christmas Eve. Christmas Brunch will have pancakes seasoned up with cinammon, nutmeg a shredded apple and walnuts topped with dark maple syrup along with fresh juice and some thick sliced bacon. About 6pm we will sit down to prime rib with all the fixins.

Unless we get some acceptances for dinner... We will freeze 1/2 the prime rib and then New Years day dinner will be taken care of as well.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post

Unless we get some acceptances for dinner... We will freeze 1/2 the prime rib and then New Years day dinner will be taken care of as well.
I accept !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Our usual. Christmas at the in-laws, probably a ham dinner. New Years will be Alaskan king crab, sourdough bread smeared with garlic cloves long simmered in olive oil, a nice green salad, and lots and lots of champagne. Once in a while we decide to do tapas for new years instead and I'll spend all evening turning out little plates of this and that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #11

Christmas Eve we host dh's kids and grandchildren for gift opening, friends will show up half way through the rip and tear portion of the night. We mostly serve finger foods like deviled eggs, shrimp, cheeses, cut veggies and chips with dips. Dh will probably make his famous meatballs and friends will bring an assortment of desserts.

Christmas day is spent next door with my family for a traditional turkey dinner. We never know what task dad will assign us, last year it was to cook the squash, the year before it was the mashed potatoes. My contribution is homemade tapioca pudding, I took over that task after Grammie passed a few years ago. Thankfully we can sneak out after dinner to the quiet of our house, sometimes a family member or two will join us just to get away from all the commotion.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I plan to smoke a turkey. Out of town relatives will bring all the sides. I requested a chocolate chip pecan pie from my mother. Those are soooooo good.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I accept !
Come on down! Looks to be clear and mild about 65. Bring a sweater or plan to sit by the fire.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I plan to smoke a turkey.
The Obligatory Snappy Retort Act of 1952 requires that I say...

"Must be tough to keep lit!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The Obligatory Snappy Retort Act of 1952 requires that I say...
Menthol? Unfiltered?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking maybe you filled the cavity with stuffing and got that burning while pulling from that little hole that leads to the crop. Pure speculation.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #17

Christmas Eve - I prepare the traditional seven fishes (pasta with clam sauce, baked stuffed lobsters, fried calamari, stuffed quahogs, shrimp, fried fish, baccala)

Christmas Day - leftovers

New Years Eve - Home made pizzas (tomato and cheese, onion, mushroom, spinach, garlic, focaccia).

New Years Day - leftovers
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #18

Tangomonster.....I can't have any alcohol because I am in AA.
As for me....Christmas Eve I will be baking cookies at a friend's house with her family.
Christmas Day....I will be babysitting.....another 4K to go before the vet bills are paid off!!!!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #19

Christmas Eve - peanuts on the airplane flying to St. Pete/Clearwater airport.

New Year'S Eve - peanuts on the airplane headed back to Ohio.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #20

Christmas Eve....I have NO idea! Heck, I don't know what we're doing for dinner tomorrow yet. Although if I were to speculate, seeing as we still have a large portion of the half of a pig in the freezer, I'd guess it'll involve pork!

Christmas Day is easy.....we're going to the local Masonic Temple for their annual FREE community dinner. So it'll be roast beast, smashed 'taters & gravy, green beans, dinner rolls, and then ice cream for dessert. It's a great time of visiting with a lot of our friends and acquaintances, and sharing a nice meal together.

And for New Year's Eve we have finger food and snacks.

Then on New Year's Day we always have Ham & Beans & Corn Bread!!! That's been a family tradition since the 1800's.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote