What's in YOUR kitchen?

W2R - your post reminded me about corelleware. I love this stuff. We have plane white... which never goes out of style... and a set of 20... so when we have big parties we don't have to resort to paper plates. I inherited some china from my grandmother... but the corelleware is what gets used day in/day out.

Same here, and my ex got my family china in the divorce (I'm not sure why! :LOL:). I like the Corelleware especially because it is so light, but also because it is hard to break, and easy to clean. I have the shadow iris pattern, which was the one Walmart was selling the year that I needed it. I don't even care if it goes out of style. ;)

Last edited:
W2R - your post reminded me about corelleware. I love this stuff. We have plane white... which never goes out of style... and a set of 20... so when we have big parties we don't have to resort to paper plates. I inherited some china from my grandmother... but the corelleware is what gets used day in/day out.

I use china all the time. Says China right on the bottom...

Forgot about this very important item
img_1286940_0_d8b48c586f5dc1ef7270563275f92130.jpg

Thermomix.
This gadget is all the rage with our friends and family.
Even the Masterchef contestants use it

Thermomix.

Never heard of it so looked it up. They won't tell you the price, instead want you to set up an on-home demo of the gadget...just from that I know it costs way more than I'd be willing to spend!

Never heard of it so looked it up. They won't tell you the price, instead want you to set up an on-home demo of the gadget...just from that I know it costs way more than I'd be willing to spend!

Not sure what the price is in the US, but over here its about $3,000. Should be a lot cheaper in the US. Things generally are.
May sound expensive, but then it replaces a host of other gadgets that probably add up to more.

Thermomix.

I looked it up. It's basically a blender with a heating element?
From the pictures it looks HUGE. I already have too many appliances and not enough room. No desire for another large appliance.

I'll stick with my food processor and mixer for all the functions except cooking... and then cook the food on the stove.

A few years ago we gutted our kitchen and packing everything up for a month was an interesting undertaking. We got rid of anything that hadn't been used in the past year - boxes of stuff.

My faves of what remains include:
A collection of all clad - all seconds. I used to live near the factory and once each year they shut down production and sold the scratched and dented stuff off the factory floor. The first time I went to the sale, I got in line at 7:50 am with white coated chefs from all over the east coast and i knew it was going to be a great day! They took cash only and no pot cost more than 10 bucks. That was 24 years ago and they look as good as new. Fabulous find!

White diner style dishes - all from the local restaurant supply store, cheap and durable.

Epicurean cutting boards - Nice and big. i LOVE these!

An old school swing-a-way canopener. Always works - stores in the drawer.

A big deep sink - large enough for 2 watermelons or a medium sized dog

Picardie glasses in 3 sizes. They stack and you can serve almost anything in them.
Most recent purchase was a robot coupe food processor. After burning up 3 $79.00 processors in 5 years I finally went for the grown up model. Lifting it is also a nice work out...
Items that flunked out during the remodel:
3 14 inch round cake pans - don't ask...

Potato masher

plastic colander - never used but have had for 30 years

Glass mixing bowls

8 "extra" wood spoons. I saved 4. How many do you really need:confused:

A blender - never used - ever.

Hand mixer (use big monster from kitchen aid instead)

Specialty drinkware, several sets.

Plastic chopsticks. Slippery and completely useless except for jamming silverware drawer closed.

Fancy corkscrews. We kept one simple wine waiters tool. No advanced degree needed to operate.​

Attachments

• watermelonsgohere.jpg
    watermelonsgohere.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 10
A few years ago we gutted our kitchen and packing everything up for a month was an interesting undertaking. We got rid of anything that hadn't been used in the past year - boxes of stuff.

My faves of what remains include: A collection of all clad - all seconds...

Epicurean cutting boards - Nice and big. i LOVE these!

Picardie glasses in 3 sizes. They stack and you can serve almost anything in them.....

Jealous of the allclad seconds.

Will check out the cutting boards!

Just weeded out the worst scratched of our 40 year old Duralex/Picardies and replaced them with new ones. Plus got 12 of the giant size and the bigger minis. DS also has them so he can borrow ours for a big party. I told him and his bride that they better like them as they will likely never break (I think one of ours actually shattered and one chipped--not bad for 4 decades of use every single day).

My 11 piece stainless steel cookware set by Gordon Ramsay for Royal Doulton (free with Air Miles points) was delivered two days ago. So far I have used the frying pan and the sauté pan. Lunch was a halibut burger sautéed with a chopped red potato seasoned with rosemary, mushrooms, garnished with a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato (on the vine), all drizzled with freshly squeezed lemon juice. No added salt.

Reading the Worst Restaurant Ever? Thread that I started makes this the way to go, baby!

:dance:

Mattress and box springs, of course. YMMV

Our second major remodel in 3 years - tiling the whole place, so bed has to go somewhere while working in the bedroom. Heh, heh. Think of the bragging rights!:blush:

After using many different kinds - these have become my favorite spatulas....

I only have the two smaller sizes (in red - no worries about being stained by spaghetti sauce). Smooth stainless handles. Dishwasher safe. I use them to stir/scramble eggs as well.

RSVP Endurance Silicone Rubber Spatulas

What's in YOUR kitchen? ... and:confused: anything you don't use?

We have a tradition of exchanging holiday "Gifts from the Goat". These are things that, if you took them out of their packaging, you'd scratch your head and say "What the heck is this?" :confused: A lot of kitchen gadgets have made great Goat Gifts over the years, so yeah, there are lots of things in our kitchen we don't use!:LOL:

We'll be moving in the not-to-distant future, so this year is the Year of the Great Garage Sale. You really have to be retired to pull one of these off! YMMV.:blush:

I bought a Vitamix a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it. It was a tad expensive even at Costco but I use it minimum twice/day and even more than that on the weekends making adult frozen beverages.

My 11 piece stainless steel cookware set by Gordon Ramsay for Royal Doulton (free with Air Miles points) was delivered two days ago. So far I have used the frying pan and the sauté pan.

The steamer is bigger and better than my electric one. I can't believe how colorful and tasty those veggies are! And it is easier to clean. From now on, my electric steamer will be relegated to cooking rice.

Got one of these and used it today for the first time. Pretty happy with it. Prevents spillovers on the stove. Kuhn Rikon Spill Stopper.

Amazon.com: kuhn rikon spill stopper

You can read the reviews. It is true that if the cooking pot is too full and the burner is too hot, it could bubble over. But used sensibly, I found that it easily prevented a messy stove top.

I have also seen these at Home Goods and Sur la Table.

Serrated steak knives that work and stay sharp! Serrated is key, obviously.

Amazon.com: Rada Cutlery Serrated Steak Knife, Dishwasher Safe, Made in USA, Black Handle (Pack of 6 - W205/6): Home & Kitchen

Rada, made in USA, dishwasher safe, and only about $30 for 6. Had them for about a year, still like the day I got 'em. Handles don't turn white in the dishwasher, either.

Wife has a bunch of pampered chef crap too, mostly good stuff, though probably overpriced. Not supposed to be dishwasher'd; not worth owning then, IMO. Most of it gets the dishwasher quick wash anyway. The pineapple and apple slicers are nice.

Better over-counter lighting and a ceiling fan was a huge upgrade in the new house purchase.

-CC

After coveting online for awhile I finally broke down and bought one of these:

61KF3fkX8eL.jpg

It's an indoor electric grill but it uses a heating element under a grate so much more like an outdoor grill where radiant heat cooks the food instead of the more common Foreman type grills that rely on contact with a non-stick surface to cook. I don't want to use what amounts to an electric griddle with ridges, I want a damn grill that can properly char some food.

My Dad uses to have something similar when I was younger but you just don't see them for sale much anymore, a nice glowing hot coil that can do yakitori, shrimp kabobs, kalbi, etc.

What brand/model is it?

Tiuxiu, that looks like a terrific grill, and a good addition to any kitchen.

I am also interested in the brand. Might just be what I was looking for :)

Last edited:
I will show my wife the big sink that Janet has. It's exactly what we need. Wonder if I have room for two. :)

The electric grill by Tiuxiu is interesting. I imagine that when the fat or meat juice hits the red-hot electric element, smoke will be emanating just like my outdoor gas grill. Do I cover the smoke alarm before using this electric grill indoors?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom