Join Early Retirement Today
Re: What's Next Braille bucks?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Originally Posted by Telly
Even Canadians will hesitantly and with great fear cross the border to try out the new concept.
Nah, we'll just be content to continue using our various coloured bills (all the same size) in our existing vending machinery. Mind you, its been awhile since we have seen $1 bills (and $2 bills for that matter).

AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From one comment there:
It seems hard to accept that this constitutes denial of "Meaningful Access".

There is a difference between whether this is a situation that is unlawful, as the judge found, or just poor policy, which I think many would accept. The problem I have with this ruling is that the judge took on the role of making public policy. He has in effect ordered the Treasury to spend moneys that were not part of any appropriation to enact a policy that Congress did not approve.

I would have no problem with the Legislature addressing this problem. It seems a worthwhile goal and should be looked into. If it can be done without great cost and inconvenience, I would be for it. I fear that the costs might well be higher than many would expect but it it really is a matter for the elected branches of Government, not one judge, to decide.

kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There have been a lot of instances in which $ was spent based on judges' decisions rather than waiting for legislation.. off the top of my head I remembered school busing for desegregation purposes. Of course, judges can make decisions about NOT spending money as well, and have forced the repeal of tax hikes in some instances..

It all depends on how they interpret whether the current situation is in line with existing Federal and state laws, which, of course, is the purpose of having a third branch of government, something certain folks would rather forget..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #24

Telly, I do think you've got the hang of this forum quite nicely ...

Charles, I hope you've lived a few days in a wheelchair or with a blindfold before making statements like this.
You'd be surprised, my friend.

Count yourself lucky ...
I do, buddy.

But, of course you're right ... there is no limit to the amount we should spend on the underprivileged. After all, that's the politically correct thing to say, the charitable thing to say, and it's the easy thing to say since you intend to drain from the coffers of others to pay for your charities. Anyone not accepting more money spent on the underprivileged is just plain mean ... :

I always get a kick out of the assumptions made here about those who don't support big government, and the backgrounds of people like myself ... I can always depend on a few posters here to react with real intellectual depth.

Americans should quit listening to the idiots who constantly encourage us to adopt the policies of other countries because we are so "backward" ... if you really disdain America so much, and you live here, then perhaps you'd be happier in another country, and making room for the millions who do want to live here.

If you're in another country, you can dislike America all you wish ... but frankly, we're probably way out ahead of your country on many measures. We have plenty of challenges, but the U.S. remains a great country, with work to do.

But John Paré, director of public relations for the National Federation of the Blind, the nation's largest organization representing blind people, said identifying the money is hardly the most difficult obstacle for the blind to overcome.

"The focus for improving the lives of blind Americans needs to be put on earning money not figuring out how to identify money," he said. "Over 70 percent of blind Americans are under-employed or unemployed and this is what needs to be addressed.

"It really is distracting to have this lawsuit," he said, since assistance should concentrate on people "who don't have the money in the first place."
Aagh, what does John know? He isn't in the swing. Let's just give the blind easier money to count, when they come across some. Besides, it's cruel to even consider actually helping them lead happier lives through productive jobs.

If we decide to change the currency, we should do so for logical reasons, far beyond the nutcase logic of Judge Robertson. If those changes also make it easier for the blind and other handicapped, that's great.

I need to leave now, so I can go trip a blind person, or perhaps I can hang out under the bridge and throw stones at the homeless ... or I can count my ill-gotten gains, and scheme about how to get other folks to pay for my health care. Yeah, that's the ticket. :
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #25

gimmee a break!

Surely there's something more worthwhile out there to precicpate another right-wing rant!!

Absolutely amazing what all can be blamed on Clinton too!! Damn--my internet connection's slow. But Gore was Clinton's VP, and Gore invented the damn thing. Damn Clinton!!!

This is not a big deal. Lots of countries have little counterfoil thingies on their bills that are probably cheaper than all the colored threads and embedded strips. Just put as slightly different sized or shaped foil piece on each bill and move on.

Geez!!!! :

I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote