Join Early Retirement Today

What's Next Braille bucks?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's Next Braille bucks?

Quote:
U.S. District Judge James Robertson said the Treasury Department has violated the law, and he ordered the government to come up with ways for the blind to tell bills apart.
Quote:
He said he wouldn't tell officials how to fix the problem, but he ordered them to begin working on it within 10 days. The American Council of the Blind has proposed several options, including printing bills of differing sizes, adding embossed dots or foil to the paper or using raised ink.

"Of the more than 180 countries that issue paper currency, only the United States prints bills that are identical in size and color in all their denominations," Robertson wrote. "More than 100 of the other issuers vary their bills in size according to denomination, and every other issuer includes at least some features that help the visually impaired."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232503,00.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What's Next Braille bucks?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

guess it goes with those drive up atm's with the braille keypad.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

different sizes would be my guess. Larger denominations should be BIGGER than small denoms. Oh wait, this is the US Government, let's make the currency sizes random! like we have for coins.....
Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alex, the US coin sizes may SEEM random, but really they are pretty ingenious.

My euro coins (while apparently more "logical") are extremely difficult to tell apart since they have subtle overlapping ranges from small to big as they go up in denomination. It's tough in a pinch to distinguish a .01 from a .02, a .02 from a .05.. .10/.20 a bit easier since they are ridged differently, but they are still exactly the same color and very close in size. There's just not enough distinction from one to the next, and after 3 years here I still need to peer at my change closely.

It's not just a matter of old habit that makes it tough for me with euro coins.. I had no problems at all with the Lire coins, the sizes and colors of which hop-scotched around like current US ones, making it easy to tell at a glance..

Now I say to myself.. "I have some yellow ones and some brown ones!"

Since we have gotten over the shock of greenbacks no longer being so green, and we've survived the "Betty Crocker"/"Kentucky Colonel" make-over of Franklin and Jefferson, et al., I think different sizes would be a good next step, actually.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ordered the government to come up with ways for the blind to tell bills apart.
Here's a high tech way to get around the court order. Give every blind person a free electroninc device that can be used to scan a bill and announce it's value. Would be a lot cheaper that changing all of the currency as we know it. I bet the technology already exests in order to do this.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Scratch n' sniff...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Here's a high tech way to get around the court order. Give every blind person a free electroninc devive that can be used to scan a bill and announce it's value. Would be a lot cheaper that changing all of the currency as we know it. I bet the technology already exests in order to do this.

I like it! We can send the same device to drunkards too.....
Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like it! We can send the same device to drunkards too.....
Sure we could, but would they have to pay for it or would it also be on the house?

Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
U.S. District Judge James Robertson, a 1994 Clinton-appointee ...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #10

About time for the USA to get out of the 18th century with their paper currency. Either different sizes or raised numbers would be the logical solution. The issue with different sizes would be for auto bill readers (ATMS, change machines, etc.) while the issue with raised numbers is the tendency for the raised part to be eroded over time with use.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #11

Those poor, backward Americans ... with 20% of world GDP, spread over only 300m people ... how ever will they cope with their anachronistic currency ...

All kidding aside, if we change the U.S. currrency, we should do so for logical reasons. Not because some activist judge stages a coup. We now live under a tyranny of the handicapped in the U.S., and it is an incredible waste of resources ... we left the world of empathy and reasonable accomodation a long time ago.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
We now live under a tyranny of the handicapped in the U.S.,
Charles, I hope you've lived a few days in a wheelchair or with a blindfold before making statements like this.

Heck, just tie your dominant hand to your belt for an afternoon and try to cook a meal.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Charles, I hope you've lived a few days in a wheelchair or with a blindfold before making statements like this.

Heck, just tie your dominant hand to your belt for an afternoon and try to cook a meal.
Amen to that. Include trying to live on your income from Medicade or SSD, being denied the best medical care possible (Medicare does not cover much more than the basics), and living in the worse part of town since you can't afford to live where the "normal" people live.

Count yourself lucky - for you (and I would say most of the folks on this board), it's "another day in paradise"...

- Ron
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #14

argh.. yeah Charles.. I really feel "tyrannized" by those lucky bastards..

The few minor inconveniences you may concede (like having to walk 10' further in the parking lot.. poor lamb!) are way more than offset by the helpfulness of a lot of the ADA standards to ALL Americans, especially oldsters (which we all expect and hope to be, given the alternative).

Things like door handles that are levers instead of round, ramps instead of steps, wider doors, grab bars in bathrooms, TV captioning...

When you see a little 80-year-old lady struggling off a bus in Italy and facing a long flight of ancient stone stairs up to the post office/town hall to do some piece of business.. you appreciate the kneeling buses in the US, and the ADA access standards.

P.S. we do have change/candy/ticket machines here that take a variety of denominations of differently-sized paper money.. it's been that way since before the euro as paper lire notes were also different sizes and colors. ATMs spit out all 20s (as they do in the US, btw).
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Those poor, backward Americans ... with 20% of world GDP, spread over only 300m people ... how ever will they cope with their anachronistic currency ...
Loved it Charles, absolutely loved it!

I think it is our duty, however, to warn all peoples of the world about our backwardness, our lack of sympathy or perceived lack of sympathy for whatever cause, our political system, our environment, our many "isms", etc. etc. as they surely must not know about them, as they continue to flood here from everywhere, and stay. We must be holding them captive, too. Another failing... :P
Old 11-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #16

But back on the paper money topic...

I suggest that all paper bills be of different shapes!

The triangle, the square, pentagon, hexagon, septagon, octagon, I'll let y'all do 9 sides and above

Uh-oh, maybe we better skip the Pentagon and HEXagon for PC purposes.

I see a man in the future, buying groceries with his new bills, trying to sort it all out at the cashier. Finally in frustration, he says "dammit, just take the whole wad!" and thrusts it at the cashier.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The triangle, the square, pentagon, hexagon, septagon, octagon, I'll let y'all do 9 sides and above
What kind of problems do you think this will generate for vending machines, ATM, slot machines, coin change machines etc?

Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
What kind of problems do you think this will generate for vending machines, ATM, coin change machines etc?
Oh, horrible problems to be sure!

Short term, these may be handled by employing a person, maybe ex-rental car counter people, stationed at every machine to do a financial work-around.

Longer term, a complete redesign of the whole serve-yourself machines. The design work will probably be subcontracted out to India, and the new machines produced in China. Many TV stations will have reporters showing off the new machines in use, many talking heads gainfully employed doing pros and cons of it. A fun time will be had by all. And prices will only be hiked by 5-10% to cover it. What a deal!
Even Canadians will hesitantly and with great fear cross the border to try out the new concept.

Inevitably, someone will throw a triangular bill like a ninja star, scratching someones eyeball. This will lead to more discussion, laws, expenses, and will make many in the world happy again.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
U.S. District Judge James Robertson, a 1994 Clinton-appointee ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #20

My mom teaches visually impaired folks for a living. She says what they do right now to deal with money is to fold each denomination a certain way however the initial identification of each denomination must be done by a sighted person.

Here's an excerpt that explains the concept more artfully:

"Blind people use several techniques for organizing money once they receive it. One common method is to fold each denomination in a different way. For example, ones might not be folded at all, while fives are folded in half widthwise, tens folded once in half lengthwise, twenties folded twice, etc. There are also wallets with separate compartments for each type of bill and devices for marking currency with raised dots. While these systems help blind people to handle money more easily, the fact that there is no way to tell the bills apart when receiving change means that no matter how organized they are, blind people still have to rely on a sighted person to identify each bill for them before they can file it away using the system of their choice."

from http://www.ourmoneytoo.org/faq.php