Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm really frustrated by the way Apple controls the app store. This iPod Touch is an older gen, can only be upgraded to IOS 4.2.1. But you go to the app store, select an app, it asks you if you want to install it, it starts the process and then 9 times out of 10 it tells you that the app requires IOS 5 or 6. Why show it to me then? Worse, the app store only allows the most recent version in the store. So even though there is often a version that will work on my older device, I can't access it. This forced, artificial obsolescence is a terrible abuse. It has really moved me towards Android and Linux in general, and away from Apple.
Agreed on all counts. I am on a 3rd generation Touch (right now, in fact). A new one I ordered just arrived this week but I haven't set it up yet because I am off on a trip and don't want to wrestle with it right now. Plus I hear a new iOS is right around the corner.

The new one is significantly taller.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Translator is an App I like. It translates and pronounces any word you type in to almost all languages. DH who travels to Mongolia for work is disappointed that Mongolian language is not available. I find the App very useful not only when I travel but also in my home country.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #83

XE Currency is one app we used on our recent trip. Nice that you can use it offline as well, considering how little we were somewhere there was wifi. And we could have never kept track manually, as we changed currencies quite frequently.

Moscyn, I also used a nice little UB map/sightseeing app (from Parkour) when we were in Mongolia last month. Handy for showing the Mongolian/Cyrillic names for places when we needed directions. I don't envy your DH the traffic if he spends much time in UB. Amazing how much congestion there is inside the city limits.

I wish there was translators for Mongolian, too! I did hear that it would be added soon to Google translate, which will be great.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #84
Administrator

I used to use a lot of apps on my iPhone. But lately, I use most of them on my Wi-Fi iPad instead, at home, because it is bigger and easier for me to see with my crummy aging vision. I am even thinking of going back to an un-smart phone. I am paying $35/month for data, for nothing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #85

Sarah in SC, I find the XE currency exchange app very good too.

I also have a lot of games app - Candy Crush, Scrabble, word games, Blitz etc. they keep me company when I am on my own.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I used to use a lot of apps on my iPhone. But lately, I use most of them on my Wi-Fi iPad instead, at home, because it is bigger and easier for me to see with my crummy aging vision. I am even thinking of going back to an un-smart phone. I am paying $35/month for data, for nothing.
The same thought has occurred to me!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
W2R, you are a big inspiration for me to continue to do nothing regarding smartphones.

I may be missing something, but it seems like most apps are just trying to bring the web to small screens. I'd prefer to just click around and not have to install and update individual pieces of software. Am I off in this sort of thinking?

Still using my ugly Tracphone. I'm planning to buy a new 8 or 10 inch tablet to replace my Kindle Fire after the fall lineup is announced. Best for my information obsessed mindset.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

I may be missing something, but it seems like most apps are just trying to bring the web to small screens. I'd prefer to just click around and not have to install and update individual pieces of software. Am I off in this sort of thinking? ...
No, I think you are correct to a large degree. And it kind of aggravates me. The 'beauty' of a browser and 'the web' is that as long as the site and browser are standards compliant, it 'just works'. No need to download apps, worry about if they are up-to-date, no need for a different version for a different OS and all the support issues that go along with that.

So now so much stuff that could be done with just a browser requires a special app. Back to my earlier rant on Apple app store, and no support for older OS versions - I was using this older iPod touch as portable radio. Worked great to carry with me throughout the house for stations I can't get good reception on over the air. So after doing this for 6 months, I get a message that there is a new version of the radio app, but it requires IOS5, and I was SOL. And they didn't support the old one anymore - it just ran me in a circle - you need to upgrade, your device does not support this upgrade, you need to upgrade....

In the mean time, I had no problem using the browser on the computer to listen to these stations, but I guess the browser used flash, not supported by IOS, but there are alternatives to flash.

OTOH, there are apps that are really designed for local use, that a browser just would not handle. But I'd estimate those are in a minority.

-ERD50
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No, I think you are correct to a large degree. And it kind of aggravates me. The 'beauty' of a browser and 'the web' is that as long as the site and browser are standards compliant, it 'just works'. No need to download apps, worry about if they are up-to-date, no need for a different version for a different OS and all the support issues that go along with that.
Thanks, I maybe am not a dinosaur afterall?
Quote:
So now so much stuff that could be done with just a browser requires a special app. Back to my earlier rant on Apple app store, and no support for older OS versions - I was using this older iPod touch as portable radio. ...
We had a similar experience with an older Ipod Nano and the Itunes software. It just is not supported anymore.

I'm wondering if the Ipad going forward will suffer the same fate. I might consider the Ipad Mini if I could be confident Apple was not playing games with my wallet in the future. The best 8 inch tablets I've seen are the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and the Ipad Mini.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Taking my own advice

Found a web based kitchen timer that's pretty good:

Online Timer

-ERD50
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #91

> I really like the new weather app from Yahoo!. You might try it if you have been using the usual apps.

I really like how Yahoo added animated radar with the option for manual scrubbing.

Also, the new iOS 7 (probably available to all next week) weather app - also powered by Yahoo - has some nice features. One is a summary screen (pinch inward to show it) which shows all your locations at a glance. You can even tell if it is nighttime at each location. It's worth looking at when you upgrade.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #92

This app is totally worthless, but I'm telling you, 8 adults laughed their heads off with it Friday night, and used it to record and send messages to their adult children.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/talk...377194688?mt=8

Again, not a single useful quality, other than it makes you laugh.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #93

Here's a good overview of the new operating system, iOS7 iOS 7, thoroughly reviewed | Ars Technica
Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

IOS 7 seems good, but a few quibbles.

The new Calendar is terrible if you're on a pre-5 phone. My 4S only shows 3 days in Week view, and even when I have events on a day, the Day view usually defaults to a blank space between them.

Also, some new features like AirDrop are unavailable on a pre-5.

This not-so-subtle upgrade pressure is unwelcome.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #95

I downloaded ios7 - seems ok. But I don't like swiping the opposite direction to delete emails
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #96
Administrator

I have iOS 7 installed on my iPhone, too. So far I haven't seen any great differences or benefit, so I guess I need to read more about it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I like having the camera and a flashlight available without needing to key in my unlock code. Otherwise - ho hum.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #98

In passing I saw some article on how to diable many of the really annoying new features of ios7. On my ipod touch I will not upgrade to 7. Maybe next year, if they fix the annoyances.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Th first day of iOS7 I noted many crashes on my iPad2. Many apps had not yet been updated to be iOS7 compatible. It's improving now.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Th first day of iOS7 I noted many crashes on my iPad2. Many apps had not yet been updated to be iOS7 compatible. It's improving now.
You are not alone.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...2635-full.html

"Hilton Software, developers of the WingX Pro aviation app, is advising its subscribers not to upgrade their iPads and iPhones to the new iOS 7 operating system because the new operating system has stability issues. The company says it believes its app is fully compatible with iOS 7 but the operating system itself has a variety of issues, including lock ups, random reboots and strange behavior of the user interface. The issues have been reported on the final release of the system and not just the beta version. The company says it has had bug reports from just five of its thousands of customers but issued the warning out of an abundance of caution."