Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The 10 dumbest iPhone apps
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I hope they are! Those are some really dumb apps.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I hope they are! Those are some really dumb apps.

I always wondered how that target thing worked.....
Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I hate this type of foolishness. If it's a list then show me a list. If it's an excuse to make me look at (and wait for) a bunch of web pages then I can live without it. I never get past the first page of these things before my blood boils.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Martha:

I do this with my Blackberry Storm for access at my weekend house where there is no other Internet access available. snip

By the way, it works very well. I hook it into a wifi router and anyone else visiting with a laptop can connect. Gets 250K - 450K. The feature to turn on and off is called Blackberry broadband connect or something like that.
Ooh, ooh - sorry for hijack questions...

Can you still get phone calls while you are tethered?

I currently have an aircard through Sprint. Never have figured out what I need to let others logon wirelessly but would love to...
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
I just tried this one and its amazing (does cost $1.99 tho)... I was so excited I spent about 1/2 hr running around the house scanning items to see what they cost. The fun came to an end when DW caught me in her closet scanning the codes off her shoeboxes...
Being tech-inept, it took me years to realize that 99.99% of the time when people are using their phones, they aren't making a phone call.

Good thread. I’m giving myself an iPod touch soon. Skipping the iPhone because I still think my basic Motorola T-Mobile-to-go phone is sexy cute albeit affordable. May also continue carrying the Kindle which has more or less paid for itself because I use the included no-cost wireless.

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Pro I-phone: one less thing to carry & charge.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

One perk of living in the boonies is that a lot of the features of an iPhone won't work here, so there's no temptation to succumb to technolust.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I’m giving myself an iPod touch soon. Skipping the iPhone because I still think my basic Motorola T-Mobile-to-go phone is sexy cute albeit affordable.
I too will continue to use my neat clamshell t-mobile to go phone and will be giving myself the Touch. Makes sense for my situation

Good primer to learn about the apps
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Good thread. I’m giving myself an iPod touch soon. Skipping the iPhone because I still think my basic Motorola T-Mobile-to-go phone is sexy cute albeit affordable.
I have a Motorola flip phone and a cheap Sandisk mp3 player instead of an iPod, but reading this thread is feeding my desire for an iPhone. I will have to start battling the impulse to buy one.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I too will continue to use my neat clamshell t-mobile to go phone and will be giving myself the Touch. Makes sense for my situation

Good primer to learn about the apps
This is what I did. Second day with the iPod Touch. It's a fun device. I'm having a good time using the Pandora app. If I get around to it tomorrow, I'll load up Skype. NPR app is also nice. Plus all of the podcasts/iTune U. Lot's of stuff to do (and not enough time to do it)...
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I am thinking of going to a blackberry plus data plan. Verizon told me that the cost will be $30 for the blackberry data plus another $30 for an "unlimited" data plan where I can tether my blackberry to a computer, much as I do the aircard. So, the total cost is the same as my aircard alone and will do the same thing as near as I can determine. Anyone ever explore using a blackberry that way?

This is maybe too much of a highjack, sorry OP.
Yes. I used to have an aircard but now have a Blackberry (my data plan is $45 a month) and tethering (which is $15 a month). The tethering works fine, just like the aircard, same software. You can theoretically do it through Bluetooth but I found that slow so I connect it with the cable.

That said I'm getting an iPhone when one of two things happens:

1. Verizon or someone who has a tethering plan gets the iPhone or
2. ATT has a tethering plan. ATT has said it will have one but not yet.

I currently have a BB Storm (the first version) and its touchscreen typing is really, really awful. I know because I have an iPod Touch and there is just no comparison. Touch is so much better. Hence wanting to have an iPhone.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Yes. I used to have an aircard but now have a Blackberry ...

I currently have a BB Storm (the first version) and its touchscreen typing is really, really awful...
I have a Verizon Aircard. It is plugged into a Router in our RV creating a network that connects our two laptops to the Internet (and others when allowed).

We, also, have two Blackberry Storm2s. We elected not to subscribe to the Tethering option because it would have been an unnecessary and less effective duplication. The BBs have Internet access either through BIS or via Wi-Fi.

BTW, the Storm2's touchscreen keyboard is a joy to work with... once you get used to it --that took several days.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
once you get used to it --that took several days.
On second thought:

Fat Finger Phone Frustration | People Of Public Transit
Old 11-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
i have a motorola flip phone and a cheap sandisk mp3 player instead of an ipod, but reading this thread is feeding my desire for an iphone. I will have to start battling the impulse to buy one.
give in, give in......;d
Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a Motorola flip phone and a cheap Sandisk mp3 player instead of an iPod, but reading this thread is feeding my desire for an iPhone. I will have to start battling the impulse to buy one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
give in, give in......;d
OK...somewhere else around the ER forum I stated that I don't have, want, or need a 'phone' that does all this cr*p. But after reading through this thread, and exploring iPhones and Droids, and related apps on the 'net....I decided what the heck, I'll go check 'em out.

Using the AT&T website, I found their local stores and headed out...'in search of'....

Went to the official "AT&T AUTHORIZED RETAILER" here in town....AT&T's website says that iPhone is available there....LIE!!! The CS folks were very nice, polite, and congenial! I told them that I was interested in an iPhone.....he says "Yes...we are too! And hopefully someday we'll have them here, but we're not a 'company' store, so we don't get to carry them." I told him what I read on the AT&T website, and he said only the 'company stores' have them.

So I headed to the next town over, to the AT&T "company store". Yes, they have them! But the place was packed! Minimum 30 minute wait! Sorry...I don't stand in lines for cr*p I don't need. So I left and went to the coffee shop...no lines...no crowds!

2 strikes and they're out! I'll stick with my Motorala flip-phone from Tracfone! (and I already have an iPod) Besides...this way I'm saving a passel of money that I can waste on something I really do want....if I ever decide that I actually want something!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Goonie, thanks!! Maybe remembering your experience will help me to battle the craving to surrender to my impulse (to buy an iPhone)!!!

Vicente, I don't know - - maybe I will give in! I am trying really hard not to.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
OK...somewhere else around the ER forum I stated that I don't have, want, or need a 'phone' that does all this cr*p. But after reading through this thread, and exploring iPhones and Droids, and related apps on the 'net....I decided what the heck, I'll go check 'em out.

Using the AT&T website, I found their local stores and headed out...'in search of'....

Went to the official "AT&T AUTHORIZED RETAILER" here in town....AT&T's website says that iPhone is available there....LIE!!! The CS folks were very nice, polite, and congenial! I told them that I was interested in an iPhone.....he says "Yes...we are too! And hopefully someday we'll have them here, but we're not a 'company' store, so we don't get to carry them." I told him what I read on the AT&T website, and he said only the 'company stores' have them.

So I headed to the next town over, to the AT&T "company store". Yes, they have them! But the place was packed! Minimum 30 minute wait! Sorry...I don't stand in lines for cr*p I don't need. So I left and went to the coffee shop...no lines...no crowds!

2 strikes and they're out! I'll stick with my Motorala flip-phone from Tracfone! (and I already have an iPod) Besides...this way I'm saving a passel of money that I can waste on something I really do want....if I ever decide that I actually want something!
So how many coffee shop visits equal an I-phone? You really wanted a cup of coffee? Of course a cuppa doesn't have an ongoing service fee.... But the coffee gets lost quicker than the I-phone... Don't care for crowds either, at all.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
So how many coffee shop visits equal an I-phone? You really wanted a cup of coffee? Of course a cuppa doesn't have an ongoing service fee.... But the coffee gets lost quicker than the I-phone... Don't care for crowds either, at all.
Well, let's see.....iPhone 3Gs is $199 plus activation fee to get started...then add in monthly phone service at about $39/mo plus data service at $30/mo. So just for the iPhone alone (not counting activation fee) would be 99 coffee shop visits (including the tip)....monthly combined service (excluding taxes & fees) is $69.95, so that would be about 35 coffee shop visits (per month, with tip.....420 additional visits per year).

That would be 519 coffee shop visits the first year, and only 420 visits each year after that...without figuring in the taxes, activation fee, and other miscellaneous monthly fees for the iPhone....or the purchase of apps! And since the coffee shop is only a couple of blocks from home, it is normally directly on my route to or from home to wherever I'm going or from where I've been, so gas and vehicle maintenance costs are near $0 extra cost.

With the iPhone I could communicate with friends, learn stuff on the internet (much of it useless), and get entertainment. At the coffee shop I can communicate with friends, learn stuff (most of which is useless), and get entertainment (piped in music, the comedy that goes on between customers, waitresses, cooks, bus-boys, and owners).....and I don't have to continually recharge the batteries!

Now if there were an app that would let the iPhone brew a real cup of coffee.........

Oh, and "yes" I needed the cup of coffee!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
With the iPhone I could communicate with friends, learn stuff on the internet (much of it useless), and get entertainment. At the coffee shop I can communicate with friends, learn stuff (most of which is useless), and get entertainment (piped in music, the comedy that goes on between customers, waitresses, cooks, bus-boys, and owners).....and I don't have to continually recharge the batteries!

Now if there were an app that would let the iPhone brew a real cup of coffee.........

Oh, and "yes" I needed the cup of coffee!
Here I was thinking you were in a Starbarks drinking that high dollar froo-froo blend. So you know I had to look for an I-phone app for you - first thing that pops up isn't an Apple product, but may be of interest: Pomegranate Concept Phone Makes Coffee and Shaves You! | Concept Phones

Now if you were a Starbonks fan you could avoid lines with this free app: iPhone + Starbucks - GENOCO by Phil Lu

Or you could find a coffee joint with this app: Coffee Finder review - Apple iPhone Applications - Know Your Mobile

I'm sure there's a virtual coffee app out there - there's beer, lighters and smokes - but we gotta get you a real brew function... cheap comes with time.