Join Early Retirement Today

What's the best way to browse this board?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What's the best way to browse this board?

Here's the background. I'm back from 10 days in New York, the first solo trip I've taken since I ER'd and the only time I've ever been away from this board for so long. I didn't login for two or three days at a time, or at most just for a few minutes. At the end of the trip it's no fun to click the "New Posts" button and have six pages pop up.

When I sat down on the home PC again I realized that I'd gone 10 days without reading FundAlarm or Raddr's board, and I didn't even notice it until I was sitting in front of my bookmarks folder. So clearly I'm able to set aside certain discussion boards without ripping a big gaping hole in my social psyche.

I'd love to be able to just drop in here a couple times a week, but I still feel compelled to spend at least an hour a day reading nearly every thread-- let alone starting a few of my own. Until last week I'd estimate that I've been on this board for at least 2-3 hours daily over the last three years.

However some of you are capable of treating the board much differently. I can understand when Laurence doesn't post for a month because he's at work the whole time. I can understand when medical issues or extended trips or their spouses take people away from the board for a while, too. But those are externally-imposed constraints. There are some of you, like Jarhead, who only seem to show up once or twice a month-- or at least you don't post very often. How are you doing it? Are you only looking for specific topics or only reading posts by certain users, or only stopping by when you have a question? If I was going to spend less time on the board, how would I shift my perspective?

I'm asking out of idle academic curiosity, not with any life changes in mind. I simply don't have a clue myself, much less a plan.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i browse by interest. i mostly leave hi i am and young dreamers to those with more e.r. knowledge than i. i more read than contribute to money & fire because i am in learning mode. i'll skip stuff like social security which won't effect me much (other than speculative planning) for another 15 years.

that leaves me with other, life after fire and a bit of health for contributing. my eye is drawn to philosophy, sometimes religion and almost always anything touching upon the esoteric. i am also drawn by certain authors while to others i avert my eyes. so my browsing method by now is pretty much automatic and self-editing.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #3

I browse by thread titles. If I have time, I will check out every thread that might be vaguely interesting otherwise, it will just be a quick scan.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Exactly.

There are thread titles that just don't appeal to me. If you want to insult me behind my back, do it in a thread about the Iraq war or global warming, RV's or ETF's or Kiyosaki. Those topics don't strike my fancy (at least not this week).

On the other hand, I read the "should I have a mortgage" or "should I take SS at 62 or 66" or "how frugal are you" or "where should I move when I retire" threads every time.

I can't believe that anybody would read ALL of the threads on here all the time! It would almost be like a JOB.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #5

What we need is a link for "Posts since you were here last". Most boards do have this and it's much easier to skim through the posts listed by subject rather then have to go to each forum.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
What we need is a link for "Posts since you were here last".
Isn't that what this is :

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru....php?do=getnew

Thats all I do, look at whats new, ignore threads by certain posters and only look for thread titles that might be interesting based on the title.

I really don't care if I "miss something". I feel no need to read every thread or keep up on every conversation that is going on.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post

Thats all I do, look at whats new, ignore threads by certain posters and only look for thread titles that might be interesting based on the title.

I really don't care if I "miss something". I feel no need to read every thread or keep up on every conversation that is going on.
I am doing the same thing as farmerEd -- works pretty well. I used an RSS reader to skim by all posts (without differentiating forums) on the old board. I liked that but it looks like this outfit doesn't offer that option -- just the first post on a new thread. "...getnew" seems like a usable alternative but the board should have a button to do it.

As to the real question, how can you (stand to) do it? It is just too hard to keep up with the traffic or I would read them all.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Don,

Just a reminder that Early Retirement Forums saved as a bookmark will gateway you right into new messages only, which you can peruse fairly efficiently.

Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Don,

Just a reminder that Early Retirement Forums saved as a bookmark will gateway you right into new messages only, which you can peruse fairly efficiently.

Rich
Thanks Rich. I did that and it works well. It even returns a section of older posts you haven't yet read. I also just looked at the top page of the ER of the forums and discovered that there is a button for new posts. Is it any different than the "...get new" search bookmark?

All of my nit picking aside, I would still like to thank Jason (correct name?) for taking the admin task on. This is a great board and these communities don't flourish without some hard work.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I browse by thread titles. If I have time, I will check out every thread that might be vaguely interesting otherwise, it will just be a quick scan.
I do the same - click on New Posts and then open the ones with interesting titles in a new tab of Firefox to read.

The title of the thread is what gets my interest - it needs to capture the content of the post. I pass on ones that have poor titles. They usually are the ones with only one or two words and are followed by "..."
Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just Checking

Usually I check in a couple of time each day. I browse each thread, and ignore stuff I could care less about. Example: Electric fireplaces would be a waste of time for me. Another would be any threads concerning raising children. I've done that already and my grandkids are teenagers and older.

Then, there are certain posters I usually read because I like them even when I disagree with them. There is no poster (yet) that I automatically ignore.

I prefer the lifestyle posts, what do you do all day, travel, food, etc. But, I always check Fire and Money just to make sure I haven't missed something. For example, somebody saved me some money on the REITs.

But hey, I have all day. I could read them all, if necessary.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post

Thanks Ed, I didn't even see that link.