Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
Re-opening this old thread...

Consumer Cellular did not work out. We could usually call out via WiFi calling, but incoming calls were hit-or-miss. Sometime callers would get the message that the number was not in service.

So last week, I switched to T-Mobile's One Unlimited 55+ plan. I ordered two new iPhones that support Extended Range LTE (Band 12). Our iPhone 6 phones did not support this low-frequency band, which meant that the very best we could get standing outside our home was one bar of 2G service. Low frequencies travel further and go through walls more easily, so I have hope our overall coverage will improve. The new phones arrive tomorrow.

T-Mobile is also sending us a booster, a mini cell tower for your home, free for nothing. (We do have to return it should be change service providers.) This will give us full bars at home. On Consumer Cellular's support page there have been repeated requests for boosters over the past three years, each one answered with the boilerplate "We do not support at this time..."

Cost: $10 more per month than CC. At this point, it's a bargain, and it's still well under what we were paying AT&T.

And it happens that a fellow chorister just got a job at the new T-Mobile store in the next town over, so we were able to throw some business (and commissions) her way.
Wifi calling works great for us with incoming calls with our T-mobile iPhones. Wondering why you had trouble.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been very happy with Ting--fabulous customer service and low prices. But I don't use much data.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Tracfone. We have 2 iPhones and use about 100 min, 100 texts, and about 500 MB data per month each. Total cost is $12 each per month.
foxcreek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wifi calling works great for us with incoming calls with our T-mobile iPhones. Wondering why you had trouble.
Damned if I know. We weren't on T-Mobile, we were on Consumer Cellular. I would repeatedly find my phone attached to no network at all, then after a bit, it would resolve to CC-Wi-Fi.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
Damned if I know. We weren't on T-Mobile, we were on Consumer Cellular. I would repeatedly find my phone attached to no network at all, then after a bit, it would resolve to CC-Wi-Fi.
Well that was probably the issue. T-Mobile wifi calling works extremely well with the iPhones that have the built-in wifi calling capability.

I was shocked in Amsterdam - my doctor's office called about an appointment, and it sounded just like they were calling me at home, not across the Atlantic. Also my experience with calling United US based customer service. No latency. International calling - massive difference between wifi calling and through cell towers. I tried to make sure I was on wifi if I had to talk a US number. At first it was because I would not be charged for minutes. But then I realized the quality was so much better too.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Sprint apparently is promoting a $15 a month unlimited plan. Taxes and fees are extra. No hot spotting. According to one article it ends at 11:59 PM EST, tonight. You have to port a number from an another carrier to get this price. (More reward the new customers, and ignore the loyal ones, nonsense.)

One problem from what I have heard is that there is no guarantee they won't raise the price on the $15 subscribers in the near future. So, I will keep my T-mobile 55+ plan for now.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sprint apparently is promoting a $15 a month unlimited plan. Taxes and fees are extra. No hot spotting. According to one article it ends at 11:59 PM EST, tonight. You have to port a number from an another carrier to get this price. (More reward the new customers, and ignore the loyal ones, nonsense.)

One problem from what I have heard is that there is no guarantee they won't raise the price on the $15 subscribers in the near future. So, I will keep my T-mobile 55+ plan for now.
They lost me as a possible customer a while back on one of these type deals when I drove all the way into town to their store because they could not do it over the phone or on line and then they told me my credit was not good enough. My credit score has been very high for years. I have better things to do than play their games.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote