Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

My personal best is 80 hours. I worked straight for 72 and then went out on liberty with a buddy for some time on the town..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Y'all are amazing... My longest time is 24 hours.

I'm a weenie.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The longest that I've stayed awake was back in the 70's, I went for 3 full days +/- 1 hour, on a camping trip in the Appalachians with some friends....I was 20.

While I was working, there were many times each year that I had to work long hours and goofy shifts during floods (our facilities were located along 2 rivers that frequently flooded during the spring and winter). Working double shifts was normal, and many times our boss would only schedule you off for 4 hours before returning for another double....so I'd work from 7am to 11pm, be off for 4 hours and have to return for another double at 3am 'til 7pm....off for 4 hours and back at 11pm for yet another double!!! Those 4 hours off were absolutely worthless too! By the time I got home and showered, had a bite to eat, and finally got to bed....I'd have about 2 hours before I had to get up, get dressed and head back to work! That overtime normally averaged about 10 days in a row for each flood, 2-4 times a year. After about the 3rd double, the boss learned to avoid me, because I got fairly blunt in my assessment of his abilities to manage people.

The boss of course only ever did his regular 8am to 4pm shift, then he went home for "life as normal".

But we DID make some awesome money because of him....like 200 hours of work during a flood, with 136 hours of that at time and a half!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My longest stretch was just over 40 hours. I was definitely getting to the point of being dangerous. My brain no worky so well at that point

Sleep deprivation, along with a workplace full of rotating machinery and high voltage electric switchgear is a bad mix.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #25

Can't hold a candle to most of you guys. I used to routinely do 30-36 hours, probably 6-8 times a year. Starting a couple years ago though I began nodding off, with my eyes open, in the middle of conversations. Fortunately I have never had to do any of this while operating any equipment other than a car. When it got to that point I would turn off the heater and open the window if it was winter, crank up the a/c as high as it would go in the summer. Even then, sometimes I would get a diet pepsi or something with ice and when finished drinking it, I'd wrap the ice in a handkercheif or towel and drape it over my head.

R
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

36-40 hours. Back in the old college days.....

Seems like I would start losing my voice after 30 hours or so - anyone else experience that?

Man, this is a wild thread! I can't imagine skipping more than one night's sleep.

Audrey
Old 10-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Sleep deprivation, along with a workplace full of rotating machinery and high voltage electric switchgear is a bad mix.
The "good" news is that your first mistake would likely be your last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I can't imagine skipping more than one night's sleep.
I can't do it anymore. I can catnap or get going again after a couple hours, but I can't just plow straight on through.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #28

Hankster said:

[QUOTE=Nords;861728]The "good" news is that your first mistake would likely be your last...[QUOTE]

True that! In the mid 90s, one of my coworkers made an operating error in the wee hours of the morning on graveyard shift. It could easily have been a literal "graveyard shift" for him. He survived after breaking load current on a 4,000 volt disconnect switch (intended for no load operation only) and getting a shower of molten copper for his troubles.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Age 24, USAF aircrew survival school. ~60 hours with no sleep, no drugs, no food and definitely no coffee. Starting somewhere around 48 hours I did have some interesting hallucinations...
Fairchild?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #30

Maybe 40 - 48 hours. Was not any fun.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
He survived after breaking load current on a 4,000 volt disconnect switch (intended for no load operation only) and getting a shower of molten copper for his troubles.
So, I suppose this is something you'd actually have to write up, not something to be shuffled off to the next shift . . .

"Yeah, I thought I noticed the smell, too, when I came on shift, but I don't smell it anymore. Circuit 6 is offline, I think there might be something wrong with the disconnect switch. I didn't get a chance to check it out. Gotta go. What are you staring at? I've never had eyelashes, you must be thinking of someone else."
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #32

Age 18, 40 hours of party fun at the lake.

Age 21, 36 hours non-stop cross country driving.

Age 23, DB and I ran combine & truck for 84+. We cheated though. The combine driver was always awake, trucker could get 15 minutes sleep every hour and a half. Swapped machines every so often

Age 60, 22 hours for no particular reason
Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
So, I suppose this is something you'd actually have to write up, not something to be shuffled off to the next shift . . .
If that had happened on a submarine (no sea stories here, just sayin'!) then the electricians wouldn't be allowed to touch anything containing electrons until they'd suffered through at least a week of training, and the first poor schmoe nominated to go back into the gear would probably have a khaki-clad stack of supervisory "assistance" at least six deep...

Gosh I miss incident critiques. NOT.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #34

Working I'd say 36 hours of straight work with one break for food. Other meals were while working since I was self employed and I was asked to help meet a deadline for a grand opening. I finally had to stop since I burned out but managed to complete the work...well sort of.
Without work probably over 50 hours, can't remember since it happened so often.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #35

OK, so now I know that chip design class was brutal because it's about on par with all the combat training stories I'm reading in this thread. We'd have to stay up 24 hours to finish the lab overnight every Thursday night evening for 11 weeks. Then my lab mates would head off to breakfast. Meanwhile, I'd go to work for another 8 hours on Fridays for my professor, so that's 32-35 hours of no sleep every week for 11 weeks straight. During the final push to complete the chip on week 12, we went into the lab on a Thursday night as usual thinking that we'd be done by Friday noon. Nope. Come Saturday at 11 AM, we barely got the chip finished and pooped it on the professor's door. That was 50+ hours of no sleep.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I was an RN in an Operating Room for over twenty five years so I went without sleep lots of time . We used to take emergency call for twenty four or forty eight hours and it was not uncommon to be working most of those hours and still be expected to show up again the next day at seven am . It is amazing how long you can go on adrenalin .
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I was once on a conference call that went on for over 30 hours. However, after about 19 hours all the others had to hang up and end the call, then dial in again to continue. I had fallen asleep holding the phone to my ear and was snoring so loud they couldn't continue. They yelled at me for a while, then gave up and started over. I finally woke up when the phone started beeping in my ear. I took a fair amount of grief when I dialed back in.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm, I think we're starting to hear some "fish tales" now...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #39

Stayed up 3 days straight back in law school (mid-20s) just to see if I could do it. In private practice, I had a couple of all-nighters where I didn't get to sleep for at least 36-48 hours getting documents out the door.

If I used coffee to stay awake, I doubt it was more than a cup or two.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a pussy. I don't think that I have ever gone a night without at least sleeping a few hours.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote