What's the longest you've ever stayed awake?

36-40 hours. Back in the old college days.....

Seems like I would start losing my voice after 30 hours or so - anyone else experience that?

Man, this is a wild thread! I can't imagine skipping more than one night's sleep.

Audrey

Sleep deprivation, along with a workplace full of rotating machinery and high voltage electric switchgear is a bad mix.
The "good" news is that your first mistake would likely be your last...

I can't imagine skipping more than one night's sleep.
I can't do it anymore. I can catnap or get going again after a couple hours, but I can't just plow straight on through.

Hankster said:
Sleep deprivation, along with a workplace full of rotating machinery and high voltage electric switchgear is a bad mix.

The "good" news is that your first mistake would likely be your last...
True that! In the mid 90s, one of my coworkers made an operating error in the wee hours of the morning on graveyard shift. It could easily have been a literal "graveyard shift" for him. He survived after breaking load current on a 4,000 volt disconnect switch (intended for no load operation only) and getting a shower of molten copper for his troubles.

Age 24, USAF aircrew survival school. ~60 hours with no sleep, no drugs, no food and definitely no coffee. Starting somewhere around 48 hours I did have some interesting hallucinations...:blink:

Fairchild?

He survived after breaking load current on a 4,000 volt disconnect switch (intended for no load operation only) and getting a shower of molten copper for his troubles.

So, I suppose this is something you'd actually have to write up, not something to be shuffled off to the next shift . . .

"Yeah, I thought I noticed the smell, too, when I came on shift, but I don't smell it anymore. Circuit 6 is offline, I think there might be something wrong with the disconnect switch. I didn't get a chance to check it out. Gotta go. What are you staring at? I've never had eyelashes, you must be thinking of someone else."

Age 18, 40 hours of [-]party[/-] fun at the lake.

Age 21, 36 hours non-stop cross country driving.

Age 23, DB and I ran combine & truck for 84+. We cheated though. The combine driver was always awake, trucker could get 15 minutes sleep every hour and a half. Swapped machines every so often

Age 60, 22 hours for no particular reason

So, I suppose this is something you'd actually have to write up, not something to be shuffled off to the next shift . . .
If that had happened on a submarine (no sea stories here, just sayin'!) then the electricians wouldn't be allowed to touch anything containing electrons until they'd suffered through at least a week of training, and the first poor schmoe nominated to go back into the gear would probably have a khaki-clad stack of supervisory "assistance" at least six deep...

Gosh I miss incident critiques. NOT.

Working I'd say 36 hours of straight work with one break for food. Other meals were while working since I was self employed and I was asked to help meet a deadline for a grand opening. I finally had to stop since I burned out but managed to complete the work...well sort of.
Without work probably over 50 hours, can't remember since it happened so often.

OK, so now I know that chip design class was brutal because it's about on par with all the combat training stories I'm reading in this thread. We'd have to stay up 24 hours to finish the lab overnight every Thursday night evening for 11 weeks. Then my lab mates would head off to breakfast. Meanwhile, I'd go to work for another 8 hours on Fridays for my professor, so that's 32-35 hours of no sleep every week for 11 weeks straight. During the final push to complete the chip on week 12, we went into the lab on a Thursday night as usual thinking that we'd be done by Friday noon. Nope. Come Saturday at 11 AM, we barely got the chip finished and pooped it on the professor's door. That was 50+ hours of no sleep.

I was an RN in an Operating Room for over twenty five years so I went without sleep lots of time . We used to take emergency call for twenty four or forty eight hours and it was not uncommon to be working most of those hours and still be expected to show up again the next day at seven am . It is amazing how long you can go on adrenalin .

I was once on a conference call that went on for over 30 hours. However, after about 19 hours all the others had to hang up and end the call, then dial in again to continue. I had fallen asleep holding the phone to my ear and was snoring so loud they couldn't continue. They yelled at me for a while, then gave up and started over. I finally woke up when the phone started beeping in my ear. I took a fair amount of grief when I dialed back in. :LOL:

Stayed up 3 days straight back in law school (mid-20s) just to see if I could do it. In private practice, I had a couple of all-nighters where I didn't get to sleep for at least 36-48 hours getting documents out the door.

If I used coffee to stay awake, I doubt it was more than a cup or two.

I'm a pussy. I don't think that I have ever gone a night without at least sleeping a few hours. :)

I'm a pussy. I don't think that I have ever gone a night without at least sleeping a few hours. :)
You probably have a lot fewer pages ripped out of the back of your copy of "The Book Of Life", too...

75 or so hours...drove over to NYC Sept. 13, 2001 to volunteer (they were looking for welders & cutters - but by the time we got there NYC had farmed out each side to a private contractor working on the "pile"...volunteered with the Salvation Army unloading donations for the workers for about 36-40 hrs, then got shuffled to the Javitts Center to work with the National Guard (we were in cammies) at Ground Zero - bucket brigade....amazing what adrenaline will do - the time flew, everyone was exhausted, yet energized at that time. There was coffee involved. It was a moving experience to say the least.

Roughly 75 hours. A week or two before returning to high school from summer break, a friend of mine and I decided to see how long we could stay awake. We made it through three nights, and fell asleep late in the morning of the fourth day. Delirium, confusion, light sensitivity, irritability, weakness, etc set in on the third day.

Otherwise, I had plenty of 36-40 hour days during my undergraduate engineering program. A never-ending litany of projects, homework, lab assignments, research papers, and studying for exams would require staying up all night and all the next day at least a handful of times each semester. I always found the nighttime hours the most difficult to stay up (and most depressing). Once the sun rises on your second day and you are up with everyone else, you just seem to go about your day normally, albeit very tired and groggy. And this was in the days before I started drinking coffee.

I think the latest I ever stayed up during law school was for 24 hours straight when completing a thesis-like research paper for a seminar class. That is what I get for doing nothing all semester and banging out a 50 page paper at the last minute (I got an "A").

In my post-education life, I have stayed up 24 hours straight to finish a project a few times in 5.5 years. Most recently I stayed up roughly 28 hours when we got up at 3:00 am eastern to catch a 5:00 am flight to Vegas. It was our first day ever in Las Vegas, so we stayed out very late sight seeing and partying it up till roughly 4:00 am pacific time. And that was running on only 3 hours of sleep.

If that had happened on a submarine (no sea stories here, just sayin'!) then the electricians wouldn't be allowed to touch anything containing electrons until they'd suffered through at least a week of training, and the first poor schmoe nominated to go back into the gear would probably have a khaki-clad stack of supervisory "assistance" at least six deep...

Gosh I miss incident critiques. NOT.

Reminds me of some train recoveries on single track. 20 or so managements types watching/offering expert advice while sitting in their jeeps/suburbans, 3 guys busting their a$$es to bypass enough or all failsafe and safety interlock crap to allow for train to move/tow.

Finally getting pi$$ed and politely explain to the official[-] professional question askers[/-] bystanders, if you want this train to move shut up, or we can have a long dissertation on how we will get this thing moving. Then we will start working on solving the problem. What will it be gentlemen?

Reminds me of some train recoveries on single track. 20 or so managements types watching/offering expert advice while sitting in their jeeps/suburbans, 3 guys busting their a$$es to bypass enough or all failsafe and safety interlock crap to allow for train to move/tow.
Finally getting pi$$ed and politely explain to the official[-] professional question askers[/-] bystanders, if you want this train to move shut up, or we can have a long dissertation on how we will get this thing moving. Then we will start working on solving the problem. What will it be gentlemen?
I have to admit that the submarine force's incident-critique process would eventually get to the bottom of the problem and figure out (1) how to correct it or (2) reaffirm that following the procedures would have avoided the situation.

As I became more senior and got to see a few more of the behind-the-doors sessions, it also became clear that there were eye-opening issues with "setting people up" and "training too hard".

Shifting the focus from the submarine force to the home front, it's been very successful in getting our kid to realize who's responsible for her mistakes and her wishful thinking. And just like me, she'd rather chew her own arm off than have to sit through one of the discussions.

On the staying awake thing. While in the service many two or more days no sleep. The longest was probably on the research ship on a Cape Town and back leg, getting close to Antartica. Winds and waves were fierce for about two weeks. Of that one week of maybe an hour a day sleep. That only after 3 or so days of near exhaustion from bouncing in the 20 to 30 foot waves. This was a 200 foot long ship about 35' max. at the beam.

Imagine a bunk with sideboard, fold the mattress in half and lay between it and the bulkhead, on the bare bottom and on a 35 to 40 degree snap roll getting bounced out of the bunk. All the bunks were fore/aft oriented. Pretend sleep is what that was. After two weeks we were all a bunch of zombies.

Things are pretty bad when the gravimeter's gyro stabilized table unlocks and shuts down. It had design limits 65 degrees tilt in any horizontal direction. Can't remember the rate of roll specs. Even the ship's Sperry navigation gyro shut down several times.

It was fascinating to watch the rooster trail of the ship surfing down steep waves. Albatrosses did not seem to care.

... it's been very successful in getting our kid to realize who's responsible for her mistakes and her wishful thinking. And just like me, she'd rather chew her own arm off than have to sit through one of the discussions.

I do have a lot of appreciation for that. I'm my fiercest critic.

Back
Top Bottom