Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'm a pussy. I don't think that I have ever gone a night without at least sleeping a few hours.
You probably have a lot fewer pages ripped out of the back of your copy of "The Book Of Life", too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

75 or so hours...drove over to NYC Sept. 13, 2001 to volunteer (they were looking for welders & cutters - but by the time we got there NYC had farmed out each side to a private contractor working on the "pile"...volunteered with the Salvation Army unloading donations for the workers for about 36-40 hrs, then got shuffled to the Javitts Center to work with the National Guard (we were in cammies) at Ground Zero - bucket brigade....amazing what adrenaline will do - the time flew, everyone was exhausted, yet energized at that time. There was coffee involved. It was a moving experience to say the least.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #43

I've only done all-nighters into the next day, so maybe 36 hrs max
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roughly 75 hours. A week or two before returning to high school from summer break, a friend of mine and I decided to see how long we could stay awake. We made it through three nights, and fell asleep late in the morning of the fourth day. Delirium, confusion, light sensitivity, irritability, weakness, etc set in on the third day.

Otherwise, I had plenty of 36-40 hour days during my undergraduate engineering program. A never-ending litany of projects, homework, lab assignments, research papers, and studying for exams would require staying up all night and all the next day at least a handful of times each semester. I always found the nighttime hours the most difficult to stay up (and most depressing). Once the sun rises on your second day and you are up with everyone else, you just seem to go about your day normally, albeit very tired and groggy. And this was in the days before I started drinking coffee.

I think the latest I ever stayed up during law school was for 24 hours straight when completing a thesis-like research paper for a seminar class. That is what I get for doing nothing all semester and banging out a 50 page paper at the last minute (I got an "A").

In my post-education life, I have stayed up 24 hours straight to finish a project a few times in 5.5 years. Most recently I stayed up roughly 28 hours when we got up at 3:00 am eastern to catch a 5:00 am flight to Vegas. It was our first day ever in Las Vegas, so we stayed out very late sight seeing and partying it up till roughly 4:00 am pacific time. And that was running on only 3 hours of sleep.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Fairchild?
Or Fort Walton Beach, Florida (e.g. Eglin, or one of its associated sub-bases?) ...

Yeah - been there....
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If that had happened on a submarine (no sea stories here, just sayin'!) then the electricians wouldn't be allowed to touch anything containing electrons until they'd suffered through at least a week of training, and the first poor schmoe nominated to go back into the gear would probably have a khaki-clad stack of supervisory "assistance" at least six deep...

Gosh I miss incident critiques. NOT.
Reminds me of some train recoveries on single track. 20 or so managements types watching/offering expert advice while sitting in their jeeps/suburbans, 3 guys busting their a$$es to bypass enough or all failsafe and safety interlock crap to allow for train to move/tow.

Finally getting pi$$ed and politely explain to the official professional question askers bystanders, if you want this train to move shut up, or we can have a long dissertation on how we will get this thing moving. Then we will start working on solving the problem. What will it be gentlemen?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Reminds me of some train recoveries on single track. 20 or so managements types watching/offering expert advice while sitting in their jeeps/suburbans, 3 guys busting their a$$es to bypass enough or all failsafe and safety interlock crap to allow for train to move/tow.
Finally getting pi$$ed and politely explain to the official professional question askers bystanders, if you want this train to move shut up, or we can have a long dissertation on how we will get this thing moving. Then we will start working on solving the problem. What will it be gentlemen?
I have to admit that the submarine force's incident-critique process would eventually get to the bottom of the problem and figure out (1) how to correct it or (2) reaffirm that following the procedures would have avoided the situation.

As I became more senior and got to see a few more of the behind-the-doors sessions, it also became clear that there were eye-opening issues with "setting people up" and "training too hard".

Shifting the focus from the submarine force to the home front, it's been very successful in getting our kid to realize who's responsible for her mistakes and her wishful thinking. And just like me, she'd rather chew her own arm off than have to sit through one of the discussions.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #48

On the staying awake thing. While in the service many two or more days no sleep. The longest was probably on the research ship on a Cape Town and back leg, getting close to Antartica. Winds and waves were fierce for about two weeks. Of that one week of maybe an hour a day sleep. That only after 3 or so days of near exhaustion from bouncing in the 20 to 30 foot waves. This was a 200 foot long ship about 35' max. at the beam.

Imagine a bunk with sideboard, fold the mattress in half and lay between it and the bulkhead, on the bare bottom and on a 35 to 40 degree snap roll getting bounced out of the bunk. All the bunks were fore/aft oriented. Pretend sleep is what that was. After two weeks we were all a bunch of zombies.

Things are pretty bad when the gravimeter's gyro stabilized table unlocks and shuts down. It had design limits 65 degrees tilt in any horizontal direction. Can't remember the rate of roll specs. Even the ship's Sperry navigation gyro shut down several times.

It was fascinating to watch the rooster trail of the ship surfing down steep waves. Albatrosses did not seem to care.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Fairchild?
Yep. Basic aircrew survival plus a "graduate" course...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #50

Quote:
... it's been very successful in getting our kid to realize who's responsible for her mistakes and her wishful thinking. And just like me, she'd rather chew her own arm off than have to sit through one of the discussions.
I do have a lot of appreciation for that. I'm my fiercest critic.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Most I've gone is 34-36 hours several times early in my career. At that point I felt feverish, my head was buzzing (inside at least) and it seemed like an out-of-body experience...guess I'm a lightweight.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

3 days or so, what's that 72 hours? Army's crazy about sleep depravation training, but I do not recall most of it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I never had to pull an all-nighter. In college, I already knew about the law of diminishing returns, so I never bothered to attempt to study past 10 pm. Also the pubs were still open and the drinking age was 18.

I think probably the longest awake stretch is when I fly from Europe back to America and try to stay up so that I go to bed at night local time in America. That's probably 18 to 20 hours awake-time at the most.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was once on a conference call that went on for over 30 hours. However, after about 19 hours all the others had to hang up and end the call, then dial in again to continue. I had fallen asleep holding the phone to my ear and was snoring so loud they couldn't continue. They yelled at me for a while, then gave up and started over. I finally woke up when the phone started beeping in my ear. I took a fair amount of grief when I dialed back in.
I have heard of meetings from hell, but this one takes the cake even without being snored on for half an hour.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I never had to pull an all-nighter. In college, I already knew about the law of diminishing returns, so I never bothered to attempt to study past 10 pm.
Wow. I wish I had been (or were now) that disciplined. I probably typed half my output in a frenzy after midnight. Studying was always accomplished in the days before exams (no sense in puttling that knowledge in the cranium too early, it wil just go stale or be forgotten). Lots of coffee, but no other stimulants except Twizzlers. I ate a lot of 'em. The trick is to keep yourself awake by being high on sugar and right on the verge of nausea. Stomach pain and fear of falling asleep and drowning in one's own bright red Twizzler vomit is enough to prevent unconsciousness and get those last critical hours of study accomplished.

I think of it as the John Bonham road to academic "success."
Old 10-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If that had happened on a submarine (no sea stories here, just sayin'!) then the electricians wouldn't be allowed to touch anything containing electrons until they'd suffered through at least a week of training, and the first poor schmoe nominated to go back into the gear would probably have a khaki-clad stack of supervisory "assistance" at least six deep...

Gosh I miss incident critiques. NOT.
The "fix" ended up being a keyed interlock system that should already have been there in the first place. I don't know why it takes a death or injury to get companies to do the right thing
Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

4 days. Took 12 doses of Levaquin the prior week and it completely fried my central nervous system. Thought I was going to die. Went to the hospital multiple times but they just thought I was crazy. Sure felt like I was dying. Its been a year and my muscles have finally now just stopped twitching all the time. I finally feel like I'm on a healing trajectory, thank God. Good thing I'm fairly young (27) or it probably would have been the end of me.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #58

I had many 2 or 3 day runs while doing "Army training." They seemed to think lack of sleep was good for you. 9 days of maybe 2 or 3 hours sleep a night. Now I preciously guard my sleep time.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I never had to pull an all-nighter. In college, I already knew about the law of diminishing returns, so I never bothered to attempt to study past 10 pm. ...

I agree with this... my view is if I did not already know it, cramming studying the night before would not add any to my knowledge...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I share Rich's experience. When I was an intern, it was normal to "work the weekend" consisting of arriving at the hospital at 0800h on Saturday and going home at 1700h on Monday. There were even some brutal hospitals (luckily not mine) where interns would have to work Friday to Monday, and Friday to Tuesday if it was a long weekend. My "personal best" without any sleep whatsoever was 60 hours. I'm lucky I didn't kill more patients than I did, and that I didn't kill anyone driving home. And I couldn't do it now. After 24 hours I just have to go home and crash. I hate that cold, shivery feeling and the feeling of disorientation and dissociation that comes with extreme fatigue. While the working hours of residents are now strictly controlled (maximum 28 hours continuously looking after patients) those of attendings are not. We can still be on call for long periods at a time and we rely on luck and our colleagues to get a little shuteye between crises.