Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I agree with this... my view is if I did not already know it, cramming studying the night before would not add any to my knowledge...
I, OTOH, made it through college due to night before cramming. My regular days and nights were much too valuable to spend absorbing information that I only needed once (exam day). My brain seemed to work very well with short term retention, despite what they tell you about pot. I think this is sort of like the CC/no CC, mortgage/no mortgage debate. Different strokes for different folks. Vive la différence!

Of course, in the courses I was truly interested in, I attended classes, paid attention, did the work, and didn't need to cram. But it was fun, so I did it anyway.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I agree with this... my view is if I did not already know it, cramming studying the night before would not add any to my knowledge...
I second that. Also, like LOL, I never pulled an all-nighter during the semester, but did several on the 18 hour drive home afterwards. Got a few funny hallucinations at around the 35 hour mark (while driving), so pulled off for a couple of hours sleep.
I think it has been pretty well proven that performance and decision quality drops off drastically after about 24 hours (as noted by previous posters). Pretty scary that emergency room personnel and some military (from posts here) operate or train with routine sleep deprivation. Seems an open invitation to disaster.
I've also seen some studies that for long term peak performance, nearly everyone needs 6-8 hours of sleep each night. Those same studies claim that most Americans are sleep deprived to some degree.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The "good" news is that your first mistake would likely be your last...
Bwahahaha! Thirty-six hours of closing out tanks, inspecting and clearing tagouts on systems after repairs, followed by a 24 hour duty 'day', which included warming and raising pressure on the reactor system (Paperwork, fuses to install, lineup checks), followed by... reactor startup (you knew this was coming), bringing up the whole steam plant, followed by "Set the maneuvering watch; Prepare to get underway".

Oh, and guess who had the first underway watch... I always wondered who I ticked off.

Nothing quite like bringing a reactor critical after you've been awake for 60 hours, and knowing you've still got 16-20 hours before you get a 5 hour nap.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

In college, 52 hours. At the end of the first 24 I had fever, chills, and insatiable hunger. By the end of the first 48 I had muscle shakes and difficulty following even the most basic of conversations (as in "you want fries with that, hon?".

I only stayed up because I had three major finals (stats, calculus and physics), two final presentations and three term papers due in that 48 hour time period.

When it was over I went back to my dorm, ate a huge meal, and then slept for 26 hours straight. Utterly freaked my roommate out.

This may, 36 hours as we prepared to evacuate due to wildfires. I just couldn't sleep with the sirens and flames so close.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike View Post
4 days. Took 12 doses of Levaquin the prior week and it completely fried my central nervous system. Thought I was going to die. Went to the hospital multiple times but they just thought I was crazy. Sure felt like I was dying. Its been a year and my muscles have finally now just stopped twitching all the time. I finally feel like I'm on a healing trajectory, thank God. Good thing I'm fairly young (27) or it probably would have been the end of me.
CyberMike, we had a similar Levaquin experience this last January. Took 3 doses, got tendonitis in my Achilles (and DH got it in his knees). Immediately stopped taking Levaquin and switched to a penicillin-based drug, but the side effects are still with us, though lessening.

I'm never touching that stuff again unless I'll die if I don't get it. It's awful. Good luck in your recovery!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Nothing quite like bringing a reactor critical after you've been awake for 60 hours, and knowing you've still got 16-20 hours before you get a 5 hour nap.
And then a few hours later, as the submarine is headed down the channel toward open ocean:

"Hey! Reactor Operator!! (*smack*) Shift those main coolant pumps to fast speed NOW, goddammitt!!"

And that's just the Throttleman talking, not the watch officer snoozing quietly behind you...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My worst experience was while on a busy trauma service in SF. We were on every other night and then every other weekend. This meant arriving for work on friday morning and leaving monday night. We would get occasional cat naps but if you got 8 hours total over the 4 days it was a slow weekend...

DD
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

I can’t accurately count the number of hours beyond 2 a.m. (“Numbers is hard,” copyright REW). But I once worked at a MegaCorp dept. that occasionally gave special luncheons for groups of employees who had worked 24 hours straight. I qualified for that but sensibly found a transfer to a dept. with normal business hours before my “free lunch” came up. I learned from that experience!: I’m no good after 2 a.m., useless even with photos. zzzzzz
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
My worst experience was while on a busy trauma service in SF. We were on every other night and then every other weekend. This meant arriving for work on friday morning and leaving monday night. We would get occasional cat naps but if you got 8 hours total over the 4 days it was a slow weekend...

DD
Those were the days, my friend....

My late father, after seeing ER, the TV series, said: "Nobody could work like that". When I told him that we did, he was horrified. "You'll be old before your time", he sighed.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I want to ER.