Join Early Retirement Today

What's there to do in Atlanta?
Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's there to do in Atlanta?

In a couple weeks I'm headed out on a business trip and one of my many stops will be Atlanta. I'll get in late one evening, and then have the entire following day and evening totally free, then the day after is my business meeting.

So.... what's there to do?

As a side note, I was born in Atlanta and lived there until I was 5 yrs old. Haven't been back since...
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What's there to do in Atlanta?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
As a side note, I was born in Atlanta and lived there until I was 5 yrs old. Haven't been back since...
I grew up there too and don't think much of the place, frankly. Unbelievable
traffic, lotsa the worst kind of yuppie (think of the karate kid and her mom in recent
Willie Wonka), lotsa crime (it was "the city too busy to hate" during Civil Rights days,
but they're making up for lost time). But maybe I can think of a few nice things to
say ...

One truly great thing about Atlanta is the dining. I love a tapas place called Pura Vida.

Also, some cool historical stuff. The Cyclorama is the original virtual reality, a circular
painting of the Battle of Atlanta that you stand in the middle of. Stone Mountain is
world's biggest carving, and it's fun to hike up the backside of the mountain. I believe
the huge soaring hotel atrium was pretty much invented in Atlanta (by an architect
named John Portman) and good examples include the Marriot Marquis hotel. And
Carter Presidential center and MLK Jr center (which has had some problems of late).

Three superlatives (extremes ?) I heard recently:

1. Considered most forested major city in the USA by US Forest Service. And it does
have some remarkably beautiful old neighborhoods, like Lullwater Road (think "Driving
Miss Daisy", and which is the heart of the Dogwood Festival, which you may very well hit).
2. The highest pecentage of single people. I have no idea how this counted heterosexual
couples "living in sin" and homosexual couples (and there's a huge gay community).
3. The highest commuter "misery index", computed as some mix of how many people
live how far out and how painful the drive to/from work is.

Be careful where you walk at night.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 AM   #3

Stone Mountain! I had forgotten... I remember going there as a toddler and they would do laser shows on the side of the mountain. I'll have to see if they've got anything going on, or if it's just hiking this time of year. Maybe that was just for special events.

A hike doesn't sound like such a bad idea, and tapas are always good...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't been to Atlanta in years, but their new aquarium is on my list of things to see someday-

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Vortex is great for a cheeseburger (a very cool place), I think the area it is in is called 5 Points, lot of young people, eclectic stores, etc. Ditto the Aquarium and Stone Mountain. The shops and town area in Stone Mountain is nice, too. Traffic is horrible.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live in Atlanta for a couple of reasons
I like the weather.
I like the new affordable housing
Near a major airport
Convience of shopping
Possibility of cultural items - off Broadway plays getting better
Some good resturants
Cost of living OK for where you are
When I was traveling out west I was looking around and couldn't find a place that worked for me.

More people will be moving here in the future - when my house appreciates enough and if I need money I'll just sell and move further into North Ga.

As to places to go in Atlanta - others have mentioned the best.
If you want to see something new go to Atlanta Station.

Let us know what you do and how you liked it.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if you are interested or if the Braves are even in town, but MLB opening day is Monday.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
A hike doesn't sound like such a bad idea, and tapas are always good...
I can't recommend Pura Vida strongly enough. It's on Highland in between
Ponce de Leon and North Ave. Everything on the menu is $6. Great
margaritas and pisco sours, also $6.

There's another great tapas place in Decatur (Dick-Hater to the locals) but I can't
recall its name.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #9

Here's the update:
- Woke up late, did some work, then went to Stone Mountain and hiked up to the top.

By the time that finished, it was about 3:30pm, so I drove over to the Aquarium but it was about to close so I didn't go in. Instead, I decided to drive over to Pura Vida.

They were closed because I was an hour early.

So then I decided to drive over to my old home in Roswell, and that only took me about an hour and a half. That was really good to see where I lived (first 5 yrs of my life), and now I'm back at the hotel over in Peachtree/Dunwoody area.

I think I'm going to ask downstairs if they can recommend any local restaurants for dinner, and then it'll probably be a pretty mellow night.