Join Early Retirement Today

What's this?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's this?

Hey everyone, still kicking back but still following the forum. I've got a question for you all.

Our house and the one next door were built in the late 1940s. According to Mary, an elderly lady we’ve known for decades who lives in the neighborhood, the original residents of the two houses were related. She told us there used to be a path between our house and the one next door.

We noticed this buried in a tree between the two houses. It looks like a light fixture of some sort, perhaps to illuminate the path Mary alluded to, but we’re not sure. How would this have been powered? Both our lot and the one next door are on 2+ acre lots. This fixture in the tree is far from any source of power for a light.

Any thoughts on what this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00163.jpg (501.3 KB, 28 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Lamp/Light fixture...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Lamp/Light fixture...

It is a lamp/light fixture. Likely for the path as you explained. It was likely powered by an underground wire that went up the tree and a switch in the house.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The tree probably grew up around the light fixture just as this tree grew up around the bicycle.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like it is missing the glass globe, but the set screw is still there to hold it in place?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Swan neck street lamp...

http://www.skinflintdesign.co.uk/sto..._brackets.html