Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Granite doesn't look pretty to me, even though it's expected.
I don't know why it's so fashionable now either. It certainly looks nice, but it stains easily and it's surprisingly easy to crack if you're not careful. If we replace our countertops (or in our next house), we're probably going with quartz. Much more durable, in most any look you want, and about the same cost. There are several alternatives to granite (soapstone, hi-end concrete, etc.) that make more sense IMO. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

1 & 1/2 baths in this late 50's ranch, and they're both pretty small. Had the full bath redone in the 80's when 3 daughters were 7 & 8. Friend of a friend did the work; had a big counter and had it changed to double sinks. Wife and contractor both griped about the $ and extra work, but I held fast. Fast forward a couple of years--I'd do my stuff in the 1/2 bath---walk down the hall and look in the full bath---there'd be the wife and daughters--one at each sink, one on the pot, and one in the shower. Then I'd congratulate myself on doing it right.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is an interesting topic. I had never heard of double sinks in the bathroom until this thread came along. My first reaction was that it seemed like needless excess, but on reading about two people needing to get ready (usually for work) at the same time, I can see that it makes sense. Thinking back to the days when I cohabited, there was a certain fun involved in doing the "bathroom 2-step" when we were both in a rush to get out at the same time.

I'm seeing a similarity of theme with the thread that MichaelB started about being able to schedule a tire replacement at 7:30pm.

We do have it really good in the US don't we?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
This is an interesting topic. I had never heard of double sinks in the bathroom until this thread came along. My first reaction was that it seemed like needless excess, but on reading about two people needing to get ready (usually for work) at the same time, I can see that it makes sense. Thinking back to the days when I cohabited, there was a certain fun involved in doing the "bathroom 2-step" when we were both in a rush to get out at the same time.
DW grew up in a very small 3 bedroom/1 bath home, her Mom still lives there, alone now. Mom & Dad and FIVE children. I can't conceive of how they managed their morning "bathroom 7-step" growing up with Dad going to work and 5 kids (3 girls ) in school. I'll never understand...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our Masterbath counter is 5' and we opted for the single sink in the middle even though the plans called for a double.
If a buyer turned down our house because it had a single, and that's the only thing they didn't like, they watch to many house buying shows for that alone to be a deal breaker.
As long as there's space a vanity top with two sinks is pretty simple to install.

On the list of things going away. About the only one I questioned was deleting the Whirlpool bath tub for a standard tub. If I'm installing a tub and a seperate shower in a Master bath the tub will be a whirlpool. A shower-tub combo wouldn't be though.
I couldn't see us ever using a standard tub.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #66

We have a house from 1955 and the bathrooms are small, but there are 2 of them. Both have a single sink and I'm fine with that. Personally I don't want anyone else in there while I'm using the bathroom. There is no room for a 2nd person and I'm in there for private time. The only time I share is if one of us is in the shower and the other one needs to pee and doesn't want to run upstairs.

Before DH retired we coordinated our bathroom time based on his time to leave for work and my need to do my stuff before taking the kids to school. With a little planning it was never a problem. The kids had their own full bathroom and I know they never used it at the same time.

I also watch all those HGTV and DIY shows and really enjoy them. Makes me glad I live where I live and own the house I'm in. It's not perfect but it's ours.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
We have a house from 1955 and the bathrooms are small, but there are 2 of them. Both have a single sink and I'm fine with that. Personally I don't want anyone else in there while I'm using the bathroom. There is no room for a 2nd person and I'm in there for private time. The only time I share is if one of us is in the shower and the other one needs to pee and doesn't want to run upstairs.

Before DH retired we coordinated our bathroom time based on his time to leave for work and my need to do my stuff before taking the kids to school. With a little planning it was never a problem. The kids had their own full bathroom and I know they never used it at the same time.

I also watch all those HGTV and DIY shows and really enjoy them. Makes me glad I live where I live and own the house I'm in. It's not perfect but it's ours.
What a wonderful post. I especially like your last paragraph, and I feel the same way about my house, too, even though it is far from perfect. It is just right for me, though. I still watch the HGTV shows. It's amazing how much people pay for what they get.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Double sink
Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Double sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Definitely one sink per person.
+1
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I sure didnt realize how popular double sinks are now. If I had a do over I would have put it in. But me personally, I wish I had put a urinal in the bathroom more than double sinks. That way I wouldnt be yelled at by GF over lid placement in MY house.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I would rather have two toilets if I didn't have an extra bathroom nearby .
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
I use the bath after my husband, if I can't wait I use the spare. Am I the only one that thinks two sinks is an unneccessary element that uses up extra space?
DH uses Master Bathroom, I use Guest Bathroom - that way we have our own space and no toilet, tub, sink, sharing hassles. It was invaluable when we were both rushing to work in the morning around the same time. When we have guests I move my stuff to MB.
For me, sink/vanity outside the toilet/tub bathroom would be much more valuable if I was sharing the MB. No value of double sinks for me, I would rather use the space for something else.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelville View Post
DH uses Master Bathroom, I use Guest Bathroom - that way we have our own space and no toilet, tub, sink, sharing hassles. It was invaluable when we were both rushing to work in the morning around the same time. When we have guests I move my stuff to MB.
For me, sink/vanity outside the toilet/tub bathroom would be much more valuable if I was sharing the MB. No value of double sinks for me, I would rather use the space for something else.
The house my husband and I owned before building this one, we did the same thing. My daughter and I shared the guest bathroom while my husband had the very small master bathroom. My husband and I also had different work schedules so that also helped. After moving to this house, with a single sink but much larger in size, we again shared the master bathroom. Didn't matter to either of us what the other was doing in the bathroom...hey we were married...nothing to hide.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

We have them in two of the bathrooms (the master they are two vanities, separated by the corner tub). They are nice to have, but the enthusiasm on HGTV for them is beyond me. The door to the throne in the master bath is much more useful to me.

We also have the jetted tub (used 2-4 times a year, not essential, not ignored) and something of a media room, but that is my hobby.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm fine with one sink in the master, but I don't understand why everyone is putting pedestal sinks in. The lack of storage is such a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
I'm fine with one sink in the master, but I don't understand why everyone is putting pedestal sinks in. The lack of storage is such a deal breaker for me.
Our original sink from 1955 was pink (with a matching tub and toilet) and had 2 metal legs for support. NO STORAGE! And on top of that the surface of the sink was rounded so you couldn't put anything on it. Just dumb. A cabinet vanity with a door (for the wastebasket and cleaning supplies) and 2 drawers for TP and "feminine supplies" was our first improvement.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Our original sink from 1955 was pink (with a matching tub and toilet) and had 2 metal legs for support. NO STORAGE! And on top of that the surface of the sink was rounded so you couldn't put anything on it. Just dumb. A cabinet vanity with a door (for the wastebasket and cleaning supplies) and 2 drawers for TP and "feminine supplies" was our first improvement.

Well, if you are going to go back THAT far... the first bath that I used was when I was a kid... it also was pink tile on the floor and walls, but white sink, tub and toilet. The sink did not have legs, but hung on the wall.... we had a small medicine cabinet over the sink. My dad added a storage place on the other side of the sink by cutting through the sheetrock, putting in shelves and adding a door.

As a kid, you only know what you have, so it was just fine for the 5 kids who had to share it..
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Nothing new. I remember my grandparents had a two-holer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

If there is no bidet, then a double sink is mandatory!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #79

I have as much desire for 2 sinks in the same bathroom as I do for 2 commodes in the same bathroom. If 2 sinks are really needed to be used at the same time, walk a few feet to another bathroom.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #80

We've had double sinks in our master bath since 1980. I can't imagine being without that feature. When we bought our last house in 2010 we gutted the place and updated everything since it was built in 1991. Relative to bathrooms, one big change we made was to replace the cabinets to the new standard height. I just measured mine and they are 32" high to the top of the countertop. I think the old ones were probably 28".

Still, I always use the guest bath as it is more convenient for me. I even used the shower in the guest bath since it eliminated me wiping down the glass walls of the shower in the master bath. Then we got smart and renovated the master bath shower area. Got rid of the garden tub and glass enclosed shower and made a walk in shower. So neat. No scrubbing or wiping down of glass walls. It's all tile and I now use this shower exclusively. Love it! I remember posting this with photos back in September.