Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,437
After several homes we definitely went with a single sink and more counter space in our master bath. We were able to put additional drawers in the cabinets for more storage. And yes we can both brush our teeth at the same time.
Likewise I don't see the advantages of granite countertops. We had old stone tops for our cabinets when I was a kid. They stained and were a pain in the neck.
Like my dad said when we were building our first house with cedar siding - "what, can't you afford maintenance free aluminum?"
Form follows function not that latest fad.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2016. Living off dividends / interest and a mini pension. Freedom.
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, if you are going to go back THAT far... the first bath that I used was when I was a kid... it also was pink tile on the floor and walls, but white sink, tub and toilet. The sink did not have legs, but hung on the wall.... we had a small medicine cabinet over the sink. My dad added a storage place on the other side of the sink by cutting through the sheetrock, putting in shelves and adding a door.

As a kid, you only know what you have, so it was just fine for the 5 kids who had to share it..
Texas Proud, I'm going to do you one better going THAT far back. When I was a kid our bathroom consisted of a sink and a toilet. No built in tub. Twice a week mom would bring in the Wheeling galvanized wash tub and set it in the middle of the bathroom. Then haul hot water from the basement to fill the tub. I'd get my bath, then mom and then dad in the same tub. Just keep dumping water out back and bringing up more from the basement. Looking back, that was a hell of a lot of work. No wonder we didn't get a full bath every day. On the "off" days we took what dad called "cat baths". You just washed up the best you could out of the sink including lifting up your feet into the sink. I think it was 1946 when dad "modernized" the bathroom and we got a built in tub. It was right after the war and I was about 10 years old. Were these the good old days?
__________________

__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
When I was a kid our bathroom consisted of a sink and a toilet. No built in tub. Twice a week mom would bring in the Wheeling galvanized wash tub and set it in the middle of the bathroom. Then haul hot water from the basement to fill the tub. I'd get my bath, then mom and then dad in the same tub. Just keep dumping water out back and bringing up more from the basement. Looking back, that was a hell of a lot of work.
Reminds me of visiting my grandparents in the early-1960s. Not only did they not have a tub, they had no toilet in the house. They had an outhouse
We would take baths in the kitchen in the big wash tub (they would heat water up on the stove...they did have a sink in the kitchen but the house had no bathroom). Needless to say I didn't particularly enjoy having to spend a week at their house.... (they also had no phone but that paled in significance to the lack of a bathroom).
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Reminds me of visiting my grandparents in the early-1960s. Not only did they not have a tub, they had no toilet in the house. They had an outhouse
We would take baths in the kitchen in the big wash tub (they would heat water up on the stove...they did have a sink in the kitchen but the house had no bathroom). Needless to say I didn't particularly enjoy having to spend a week at their house.... (they also had no phone but that paled in significance to the lack of a bathroom).
My maternal GPs were the same. Can't say I minded being free from being chased into the bathtub every evening. I loved to spend time out there on the farm. There was no electricity either. They used kerosene lights (called coal oil back then, or more like "call earl"). I remember back in the 60s being in villages or farms in Mexico which were the same, when it got dark, it was dark! I loved it.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Just read an article about the "old days" wheere taking a bath was an adventure. The article said that back when, the father as head of the household, got his bath first, then the wife and then the kids in decending order of age. The baby was the last. Guess they didn't change the water much like my folks did and by the time the baby was finished, the water was pretty bad. Hence the old saying, "don't throw the baby out with the bath water".
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My maternal GPs were the same. Can't say I minded being free from being chased into the bathtub every evening. I loved to spend time out there on the farm. There was no electricity either. They used kerosene lights (called coal oil back then, or more like "call earl"). I remember back in the 60s being in villages or farms in Mexico which were the same, when it got dark, it was dark! I loved it.

Ha
We spent one summer with an outhouse as our house was being built (I was ~ 9 YO). I survived, can't say I enjoyed it. We did have electricity though.


I came across this a few years ago - imagine the effort (over 2 hours/day, a 15 step process each day) just to have refrigerated food!





IcyBall Operations Manual


Crosley IcyBall


-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lisa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,327
Two sinks and separate closets are a must in our master bath for marital harmony. DH is a slob and with his sink and closet on the other side of the room I can deal with it.
__________________
Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance -
Morgan Freeman
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BigMoneyJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,627
Many years ago my granddad was telling us about sharing bathwater and sink washwater, and my brother observed that today we insist on fresh clean water to pee in.

(If I recall correctly, Nords has/had solar-heated fresh water to pee in.)
__________________
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
Many years ago my granddad was telling us about sharing bathwater and sink washwater, and my brother observed that today we insist on fresh clean water to pee in.
My family in the UK leave the toilet unflushed if we've only been using it for #1's, in order to save water. If guests come round, we temporarily suspend the habit until they've gone. I do the same thing in my place. My SO finds it a bit off-putting, so I don't do it when she's here. She had used to think that I was merely being lazy, until I explained to her that it was in order to use the water more wisely. She still thinks it's a bit distasteful, but I see it as a practical measure.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My SO finds it a bit off-putting, so I don't do it when she's here. She had used to think that I was merely being lazy, until I explained to her that it was in order to use the water more wisely. She still thinks it's a bit distasteful, but I see it as a practical measure.
Cheaper to pay a water bill than to find another girlfriend. Also more certain. Consider trying flush after use method. I have water with my condo fee, so if I don't use it somebody else will.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Cheaper to pay a water bill than to find another girlfriend. Also more certain. Consider trying flush after use method. I have water with my condo fee, so if I don't use it somebody else will.

Ha
I don't do it to save money (it wouldn't save me anything anyway), but to conserve water. In other words, for the greater good - same reason my family in the UK do it.

My LBYM habits are fairly well-developed, but I'm not that cheap
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I don't do it to save money (it wouldn't save me anything anyway), but to conserve water. In other words, for the greater good - same reason my family in the UK do it.

My LBYM habits are fairly well-developed, but I'm not that cheap
I see. I didn't think of that because there is water everywhere where I live.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
...even with double sinks, we NEVER used the 2nd one...
My wife does not want us to use both sinks in the master bath. Too many to clean, she says. I don't care either way, and so she has her way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If nothing else, it provides a "backup" sink to use when one of them is leaky or clogged.
Yep. When one started to leak, I shut off that side, and we have been using the other one, until I have the time to fix the faucet.

It's been more than 10 years now, I think.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My family in the UK leave the toilet unflushed if we've only been using it for #1's, in order to save water. If guests come round, we temporarily suspend the habit until they've gone. I do the same thing in my place. My SO finds it a bit off-putting, so I don't do it when she's here. She had used to think that I was merely being lazy, until I explained to her that it was in order to use the water more wisely. She still thinks it's a bit distasteful, but I see it as a practical measure.
When I lived in Ft. Myers, FL in the 90's the neighboring community of Cape Coral was having a water problem and had a contest for a slogan that could inspire water conservation. The winner was: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down"
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
(If I recall correctly, Nords has/had solar-heated fresh water to pee in.)
The toilet seat is so comfy on cold mornings!

20 years ago my Dad's church did some major renovations, which did not go well. When they finally opened for services again, one of the women noted that the ladies' room lacked hot water. It was the pits of winter so this was quite an annoyance. The plumber was non-responsive. Dad finally ended up troubleshooting the water heater, replaced a bad element, and turned it on. It started making hot water, so he called it "fixed".

Next week there was quite a buzz among the ladies, and lots of traffic in the ladies' room. When the reverend announced that the water heater was working again there was actually laughter and scattered applause-- from the women. Dad mentioned that he'd never had so many women so grateful to him just for fixing a water heater.

Dad's a widower, so it was a few weeks before the word filtered back to him. It turned out that the plumber had incorrectly reconnected the bathroom water piping, and when he fixed the water heater then the toilet in the ladies' room was flushing with hot water. Between the cold porcelain and the hot water, the stall temperature was "just right"-- and apparently the flushes were worth watching.

The church ended up leaving it that way until the weather warmed up.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
use recirculating pump to get hot water..
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets
Sirka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 200
use recirculating pump to get hot water..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
"If it's yellow, let it mellow."
We adopted similar procedure after moving to So Cal. There is a on going water shortage here, even though our new governor declared it was over last year. Well, maybe that is why we had NO snow this winter.
Anyway, If you flush every other time, you save 50 % of water. So that works for us.
We also use recirculating pump to get hot water to the shower and the 2 sinks. Just push the button and wait a few sec., while the not so warm water circulates back to the water heat; and wallah, water is nice and hot. It saves water and time. Is any one else using it?
__________________
Hard to say what it was, when it isn't.
FIRED in 2005 @ 55
Sirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,334
I live in a house with one bathroom for three bedrooms. The addition on on extra sink area in the corner of the master bedroom has made all the difference. Especially when all the others in the house are females!!!
__________________

__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The only thing I didnt think about preparing for my retirement.... My Teeth! Mulligan Health and Early Retirement 65 05-06-2012 09:41 PM
Paying off the mortgage early grows in popularity REWahoo FIRE and Money 164 02-23-2012 04:20 PM
New GM Retirement Plan JOHNNIE36 Health and Early Retirement 9 02-18-2012 11:15 AM
Mac question..top line of screen black kaneohe Other topics 3 02-16-2012 10:56 PM
27 and dreaming of retirement in 5 years. Am I crazy? ponchoape Hi, I am... 19 02-16-2012 03:47 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.