Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Smart move on the plumbing industry's part.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If nothing else, it provides a "backup" sink to use when one of them is leaky or clogged.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We watch some of the HGTV shows, and always snicker when the people are rattling on about 2 sinks being a "must have" requirement. Well, that and "We HAVE to have AT LEAST 2 fill baths, and preferably 2 1/2."

Here in the old family homestead, we have ONE bathroom with ONE sink, a tub/shower combo, and the throne. Growing up there were my folks, 2 siblings, and myself....all using the same bathroom, and all getting ready for work and/or school at relatively the same time. We never had any scheduling conflicts...Pops was the king of the castle, so he was ALWAYS first. Ma was second, followed by us kids from oldest down to youngest (me).

To us, it's always been the consideration that the more plumbing fixtures ya have, the more maintenance there is, and the more cleaning there is, and therefore less time for enjoying life.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I thought of this thread when I saw this article:

Kiss these 10 once-popular home features goodbye - Slide Show - MarketWatch

Quote:
Luxury master bathrooms with multiple-head showers will be getting toned down in 2012. Something more practical — say, a double sink in the kitchen — is much more likely to be included in new homes this year.
OK, it's the kitchen, not the bath vanity, but still...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Kiss these 10 once-popular home features goodbye - Slide Show - MarketWatch.
And good riddance to all 10 of those excessive features IMHO...glad we're all coming back down to earth.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Kiss these 10 once-popular home features goodbye - Slide Show - MarketWatch

OK, it's the kitchen, not the bath vanity, but still...
Yup, when we did our kitchen/bath remodel a couple of years ago, we went with single bowl for the bath and double for the kitchen. We really do like the double in the kitchen. It actually cost very little more than a single sink since it is all molded into one piece. We can both work there which is our usual MO.

We have one more bath to redo "someday" and it will be single bowl. Just rarely need to be dueling with tooth brushes or hand soap, so single works for us. When it's not, either of us can use the hall bath or kitchen sink for 99% of what that extra bowl would be used for - and those already are in place. Just personal preference, perhaps, but also, a matter of money priority. We worry very little about resale value. We figure by the time we die or are ready to move to the "home", the baths will need to be redone anyway. Let the next owners decide whether they want to install a double anything.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Our present house has two vanities in the master bath, and it's even better than dual sinks. Similar to Kat, we each do our own thing, except my "thing" is a blank counter, easy to wipe down, etc. DH wants everything cluttered around on his.
When we downsize, we'll not have this luxury anymore, but will have two baths, so my plan is to "assign" each of us a bathroom. The great thing the condo does have is medicine cabinets--so you can have stuff easily accessible without having to have nothing but clutter. I HATE this modern " big flat mirror/no medicine chest" design that ALL of our houses have had.
I find my beloved so odd--now we have four bathrooms, and he has to have multiple toothbrushes in three of them, along with toothpastes. Him maximalist, me minimalist--opposites attract!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #28

Double sinks? When I were a lad, there were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Double sinks? When I were a lad, there were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

The original Four Yorkshiremen. Written and performed by Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Marty Feldman and definitely pre-Python. Classic and a much appreciated reminder.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #30

Thanks for that Michael. Made my morning.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought about putting in double sinks when I was preparing to put my house on the market. If that's what they want, I'll give it to 'em!

But I'm pretty smart and want to get the best price I can.

So I had three sinks put in. Cha-Ching!
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and any thread that brings out the Four Yorkshiremen is a grand one in my world!
Thanks!
Aye luxury!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
I thought about putting in double sinks when I was preparing to put my house on the market. If that's what they want, I'll give it to 'em!

OK...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1255308335.jpg (37.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DBCR108_Triple-Vanity_s3x4_lg.jpg (160.7 KB, 1 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Three sinks? We had a three-holer when I grew up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Three holer.jpg (401.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
I don't get it. All the home shows on television, when the prospective owner sees the bath they invariably comment on a double sink as being desirable.
I use the bath after my husband, if I can't wait I use the spare. Am I the only one that thinks two sinks is an unneccessary element that uses up extra space?
Disagree. I love each of us having a sink in our master bathroom. We don't have to wait for each other when brushing teeth, washing hands, etc. We each have a space to put our stuff on the counter.

I know it matters to us because it's something we really miss when we are traveling in our motorhome!

Audrey
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I live alone, but if buying would prefer a house with double sinks for resale. Obviously I don't need two sinks for my own usage.

As for what I like, personally, I like having plenty of counter space right next to the sink to use as a vanity area.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy

I have 3 sinks, too. The trouble is they spread out evenly in all 3 bathrooms. Having a house built for a single guy, didnt bring out any creative ideas. I should have had a lady friend check over the specs!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As for what I like, personally, I like having plenty of counter space right next to the sink to use as a vanity area.
I agree. While it was nice having 2 sinks, it is important to us to have a big "his & hers" vanity area on either side of a single sink. We rarely clash toothbrushes under the tap.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I read this thread and I remember back a few years ago we were always lecturing one another on the forum about "is it a need or a want?"

Or how gung ho many of us seemed when Jacob showed up to explain his radical take on LBYM.

My head spins.

Ha
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I read this thread and I remember back a few years ago we were always lecturing one another on the forum about "is it a need or a want?"

Or how gung ho many of us seemed when Jacob showed up to explain his radical take on LBYM.

My head spins.

Ha
So, does your new condo have double sinks, or a single sink? And is it what you *want*? (not *need*, and I promise not to lecture)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote