Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What's Wrong With These People????
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Managers have to carefully watch their words. You are like the king saying "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" and suddenly Thomas Becket is dead.

I remember once at my firm a paralegal was in the hospital in labor. I casually mentioned to another paralegal that I wondered if she had entered her time (billable hours) before she left. Well the paralegal at work called the hospital and had the paralegal in labor dictate her time entries. I really felt bad about that.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Just make sure she's prepaid at the spa for a massage and manicure when I'm on the conference call!
Are you really sure you want your spouse having her personal needs taken care of by contractors while you're on your honeymoon just because you're temporarily unavailable? To me it seems like the beginning of a very slippery slope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Well the paralegal at work called the hospital and had the paralegal in labor dictate her time entries. I really felt bad about that.
I inadvertently precipitated a similar situation with one of my shipmates over a decade ago and I'm still apologizing to him for it. As for your paralegal, if someone had tracked me down and tricked me into answering the phone for that sort of question, I would've booked the time spent in the other kind of labor, too!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis
This from our organization's newsletter under "Special Recognition":

"XXXX XXXXX is recognized for his willingness to go “Above and Beyond the Call of Duty” with his attendance at the XXXXX Virtual Team Meeting. What was so special about XXXX’s participation? It conflicted with a very important personal commitment – his honeymoon."

I predict his career will last longer than his marriage.....
Looks to me like the employee is the problem here. Had he not been so dedicated to his job his boss would not have made such a big deal out of it. I have seen this before where employees "think" they are going to be rewarded for going all out and giving up important family events to get a job done. In some cases this may in fact be true but my experience is that management feels like they have to make a big deal about it to "reward" the employee's sacrifice; thus perpetuating the cycle.

Pogo was right.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've gotta go along with the "no" crowd.

If this is how he starts off, how many times is he going to be working or on the cell phone while his kids are in little league / soccer / band / etc. etc.?

This bodes ill.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis
What was so special about XXXX’s participation? It conflicted with a very important personal commitment – his honeymoon."[/i]
I did not read all the replies. But is it possible that this guy is not interested in the honeymoon? After all, he already made a mistake, why suffer more?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #26

I guess that I don't really see what the big deal is either, unless it was a really long meeting. Understand though, that this is coming from someone who did not go on a honeymoon. As a matter of fact, DH was in the military and went to work for 1/2 day, left work to pick me up and back to the base chapel for our marriage and he had to be back to work the next day. Maybe I am not the best person to answer!