Whats wrong with this picture??

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was just looking around and saw this pic.... do you see what is wrong with it??

Don't look at other's responses until you find it...

Targa-V-18-WT_img4179_700.jpg

Not seeing it, how about a hint?

How can the motor propel the boat through the water if the propeller is up in the air?

:LOL:

I'm seeing nothing; I need a hint also.
There are two motors and one isn't in the water?
They forgot their fishing poles?
The owner isn't LBHM by owning the boat? (I don't know how to tell this from the picture)

OK...

Took a look at other pics and found the answer... they have two motors on the back!! One a smalller one, that is out of the water and makes it look like the boat is going without a motor... the other the one that is moving the boat... but, it looks like a strange pic to me at first glance...

Targa-V-18-WT_img4181_700.jpg

I'm seeing nothing; I need a hint also.
There are two motors and one isn't in the water?
Looking closely I think SunsetSail is right -- it's just hard to see the background motor which appears to be down in of the water (the motor in the foreground mostly blocks it from view).

Reminds me of those old fashioned entertainment books - how many errors can you find in this drawing?

Nothing is wrong with the picture.

Maybe the way it is viewed?

Looks like the boat has a small supplemental outboard may be used for trolling or in the harbor for quiet and no wake generation. It is out of the water while the large engine is powering the boat. These small engines are very common on sail boats, don't usually see them on speedboats.

I was just looking around and saw this pic.... do you see what is wrong with it??

Don't look at other's responses until you find it...

Targa-V-18-WT_img4179_700.jpg
Well I see two outboard motors, with the smaller out of the water. Not sure what is wrong? The smaller, I assume, is a trolling motor.

Audrey

Nothing is wrong with the picture.

Maybe the way it is viewed?

Looks like the boat has a small supplemental outboard may be used for trolling or in the harbor for quiet and no wake generation. It is out of the water while the large engine is powering the boat. These small engines are very common on sail boats, don't usually see them on speedboats.
Actually - these smaller trolling motors are quite common on fishing boats.

Looking closely I think SunsetSail is right -- it's just hard to see the background motor which appears to be down in of the water (the motor in the foreground mostly blocks it from view).

Reminds me of those old fashioned entertainment books - how many errors can you find in this drawing?

Just thought it looked strange at first glance... and since there is no option for that second motor hanging on the back... I did not think of that...

I guess some people have better eyes than me (well, almost everybody does as I have high prescription)....

Actually - these smaller trolling motors are quite common on fishing boats.

They have a small trolling motor in the front... I have not seen two gas motors on the back before where one was big and the other small...

They have a small trolling motor in the front... I have not seen two gas motors on the back before where one was big and the other small...
That's true, I usually see the trolling motor on the front. But that's just what I assumed the smaller motor was.

Oh...I thought something was wrong with this pic because there aren't any bikini clad girls in the boat nor is a beer cooler visible...

Oh...I thought something was wrong with this pic because there aren't any bikini clad girls in the boat nor is a beer cooler visible...

Well, that was going to be my second guess.:LOL:

I actually thought it was one of those boats where the engine is rigged with a strong rope to pull the prop out of the water when approaching very shallow areas.

How can the motor propel the boat through the water if the propeller is up in the air?

:LOL:

One is the running motor, the other is a trolling motor. Probably 85% of boats that go fishing are rigged like this. The small motor is also a get-home emergency feature, if they keep the gas cans and lines separate.

Ha

I learn something every day. :)
I want to get into boating some day soon!

You won't see this in rough water like the Straits of Juan de Fuca, or anyplace really where the boats can't just run home if the wind kicks up.

Aren't those little electic motors that are hung off the front used mostly on john boats?

(Which is not a boat full of guys heading out for a paid party. Craft in that employment are called yachts. :))

The smaller motor on the back is called a "kicker", it has two functions:
1)Allow the boat to be propeled if the "big motor" quits.
2)Used for trolling so you don't foul the plugs on the "big motor"

When my dad had a salmon boat on Lake Michigan, our "kicker" was 60hp!!

You won't see this in rough water like the Straits of Juan de Fuca, or anyplace really where the boats can't just run home if the wind kicks up.

Aren't those little electic motors that are hung off the front used mostly on john boats?

(Which is not a boat full of guys heading out for a paid party. Craft in that employment are called yachts. :))

No, the trolling motor on the front is just an electric motor so you can move the boat around a bit without starting the gas motor and scaring the fish.... some are pretty powerful... not enough to get the boat from here to there, but you can move it around....

Haha.... I have a BIL who goes fishing a lot... and I have been to a number of marina's and I have not seen this setup before... sure, I have seen boats with twin motors of the same size on the back... and a few with three.... (and heck, I even saw race boats with 4 big ones).... but never a 150 next to a 15 or 20HP....

I like the thinking of bbbam.... but then again, this is not one of those expensive boats that attract the bikini clad lasses...

I'm pretty sure the extra, smaller outboard in the back is used mostly in the North, where trolling for walleye is popular.

I've almost never seen that setup in the South West or the South, where largemouth bass is the most popular gamefish. Bass fishermen don't typically troll, and bass tournaments prohibit trolling.

I'm pretty sure the extra, smaller outboard in the back is used mostly in the North, where trolling for walleye is popular.

I've almost never seen that setup in the South West or the South, where largemouth bass is the most popular gamefish. Bass fishermen don't typically troll, and bass tournaments prohibit trolling.

OK... regional difference can be the big difference in people sightings... when I went fishing with my BIL, he never used his trolling motor... maybe because he does fish in at least one tournament a year... he just threw out the 'sock' so we did not drift much...

I learn something every day. :)
I want to get into boating some day soon!
Judging from the happy-go-lucky expressions on the guys in the boat, it might save us all a lot of time & money if we just skipped straight ahead to the bikini-clad babes and beer coolers...

Easy one - the outboard engine is in its fully raised position.

HOWEVER...:cool:

It would be impossible for the boat to be going fast enough to generate a wake with that engine in the fully raised position, so the engine was providing thrust to the hull at one point. My guess is the outboard engine clamps on the transom snapped and this picture was taken right after that happened.

F= ma rules once again :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom