Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

A buddy was helping me with some carpentry up in the attic when he lost his balance and fell through the ceiling taking a large chunk of sheetrock and 10" of loose fill insulation with him. Only his pride was injured, but what a mess. The insulation and fine dust covered most of the small living room and about half the kitchen. Took days to rectify that debacle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Then there was the time that DH was sanding plaster patches in our 1st floor bathroom. He planned ahead and as he sanded he held the shop vac nozzle just underneath where he was sanding. But the filter thingy on the shop vac exhaust end was not attached properly and all the plaster dust exited the bathroom and was directed to the hallway and right into our bedroom. Everything (floor, bedding, dresser, book shelves, electronics, DHs precious piles of crap) had a layer of plaster dust. Ugh!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #23

I dropped a plastic (thankfully!) container of two quarts of spaghetti sauce on the kitchen floor from shoulder height. That made a pretty good mess and I was surprised at how high the splashed sauce went. I think one kitchen cabinet went unsplashed.

Shortly after we had put together a new corner desk I changed the black ink cartridge in the old printer. It didn't work and I was going through the checklist on that when I noticed black ink creeping out from under the printer. Thankfully we had it contained before it dripped on the carpet and amazingly it all cleaned easily off the desk surface. Oh, and I replaced the printer.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago I dropped an empty 7 gallon glass carboy. I have never seen so much broken glass.

When DD2 was maybe 1, we went into her room after naptime to discover she had removed her turd-filled diaper and repainted herself, the crib, the sheets, the nearby wall and even the carpet.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #25

Had a gallon of oil based primer attached to the top of an extension ladder. I climbed down to adjust the ladder and the paint can tipped spilling entire contents directly on top my head then running down my face.

With my eyes closed was able to somehow find a can of paint thinner which was used as my shampoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Had a gallon of oil based primer... spilling entire contents directly on top my head...

... find a can of paint thinner which was used as my shampoo...
If we stopped to take a vote now, I think you would take the grand prize.

PS. Somehow, I have always carried in my mind the fear of spilling paint or stain on the floor let alone my head. So, I have taken every precaution to prevent that from happening, and so far so good.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

An 8 year old daughter of mine once ate an excessive amount of really spicy pho. She was just coming down with a nasty stomach bug. That stomach bug caused violent vomiting. At 2 AM as she was laying on the top bunk in her bedroom, her stomach rapidly decided it had enough pho. I woke to the sound of what I thought was running water and splashing. Unfortunately it was vomit falling from a height of 5.5 feet.

When I walked in, I had to establish a few beachheads on the floor to clean up the entire floor. Many loads of soiled sheets, towels, clothing, etc. Tossed out a floor rug. Had to clean the bathtub. It took few hours to clean that mess up.

This happened right after I retired early. My wife (who was still working) probably laughed at me in the morning since she was able to sleep through the night and then get up and go to her clean office job.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have a backpacking buddy who has 20 minute campfire story about getting explosive diarrhea in the middle of the night in a Nepal hotel room. I'll spare the details, but he said that he left a huge tip.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #29

Maybe not a big mess because it was somewhat confined, but changing our sewage ejector pump is a messy experience.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
A somewhat drunken friend thought he'd "help" lift the turkey out of the big fryer. Thankfully only spilled 5 gallons of boiling hot oil on the grass instead of himself.
The greasy spot never went away, and all the grass died. For years.
Somehow I think lots of turkey related events end in similar ways. I had one as well but with a giant vat of bubbling gravy. The gravy is the last thing to the table and a few years ago as the assemblage sat expectantly waiting, I managed to drop an entire pot of the stuff on my tile floor. It was a large batch - enough for 2 14 lbs birds, left overs and a few pot pies. Slick gravy hit the cabinets, kitchen walls, ceiling and splattered into the adjacent room. One of my guests was quick on her feet and came in to see what happened. She was holding a bottle of red wine and slipped in the hot gravy, fell and the almost full bottle smashed as well. Gravy, red wine, glass .. it was a Lucy moment.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I know most of these "mess" stories are home related, but I have one that is work related and burned into my brain cells forever.

Back when I was Engineering Manager for a manufacturing plant in Connecticut (during the second oil embargo), I purchased 8,000 gallons of waste oil for our plant steam boilers as No. 6 fuel oil was unavailable. It was a night delivery and the truck driver either put it in the wrong underground tank inlet pipe, or my powerhouse operator was sleeping (or both). We had two underground tanks for boiler fuel and one was already full since we needed to be prepared for additional fuel shortages.

Bottom line was that the powerhouse was adjacent to the newly bric-bracked Naugatuck River and the fuel ran down the side of the powerhouse, across the yard and into a storm drain that led to the River. Being night, and the truck driver and powerhouse operator, either asleep or whatever, the 8,000 gallons of black, heavy oil went into the river and no one saw the remains until sunup. At precisely 6:00 am (aka "sunrise"), I got a frantic call at home from the shop.......EPA, State Police, Connecticut DEP, and the town Mayor were waiting to see me (oh, and my boss the Vice President).

So much for my raise that year! Besides cleaning rocks along the river bank all summer with college kids, we painted about 25 boats and paid a good fine. Plus, we put alarms on the tank fill system and did a bunch of other remedial stuff. Gotta love those manufacturing plants that are 100+ years old.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have a backpacking buddy who has 20 minute campfire story about getting explosive diarrhea in the middle of the night in a Nepal hotel room. I'll spare the details, but he said that he left a huge tip.
The messiest second-hand story was from my high school days.

I loved chemistry class, and entered an area chemistry lab competition for teams of two, involving titrating an unknown acid/base solution and determining the pH in the least amount of time, with a weighted-score that was also dependent upon how close your answer was.

At the high school it was held at, they also had a few refreshments (cookies, etc.). The high school teacher brought his son, maybe 4-5 years old. The son wandered around the lab before and after the competition, munching on a few cookies.

Later that night, the chemistry teacher awoke to his son crying. He walked into his room to see the most insanely awful explosive diarrhea you could imagine. All over the son's room.

Phenolphthalein is a common ingredient in laxatives (or so the chemistry teacher told us as he relayed the story). And as those science buffs among us will also recognize, is the common solution used for an acid/base indicator.

And is common to find residue of on chemistry lab stations. Which the aforementioned young son had been running his hands all over as he wandered around between munching on cookies.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #33

Wow, there have been so many..... But a constant is my general workbench. Sometimes I think I have more tools on my work bench than I do hanging on the wall or in my tool boxes. I'm trying to do better.

On the other hand, my reloading work bench (I reload my own ammo) is always spotless and in perfect order.

A different mindset when reloading ammo VS working on a car.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I was pouring a cup of coffee this morning, and a couple of drops splashed out on the counter. I wiped it up with a paper towel.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My most 'expensive' mess was reaching for a bottle of wine in my wine rack, jarring a smaller bottle of port that should never have been placed in the wine rack (I now realize), watching the neck snap off the port as it hit another bottle on it's way down, then a red slow-motion port spread all over my cream living room carpeting..

Much swearing, dabbing, scrubbing, then finally, $5,000 dollars in new flooring later*, it was resolved. (*If I was going to have to recarpet the living room, might as well do the whole house . . . )
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

There was the time I walked into and knocked over a great big fully loaded Christmas tree in the dimly lit open area of a busy bowling alley.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Somehow I think lots of turkey related events end in similar ways. I had one as well but with a giant vat of bubbling gravy. The gravy is the last thing to the table and a few years ago as the assemblage sat expectantly waiting, I managed to drop an entire pot of the stuff on my tile floor. It was a large batch - enough for 2 14 lbs birds, left overs and a few pot pies. Slick gravy hit the cabinets, kitchen walls, ceiling and splattered into the adjacent room. One of my guests was quick on her feet and came in to see what happened. She was holding a bottle of red wine and slipped in the hot gravy, fell and the almost full bottle smashed as well. Gravy, red wine, glass .. it was a Lucy moment.
I love the chain reaction here.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #38

I am sloppy by nature and had my share of messy screw ups. Some of my accomplishments (?) in this area ....

- I change my own motor oil. Like the OP, a few times, I poured in new oil without plugging the oil pan. Once I ran over oil cans with my car while backing up. It was like stepping on a ketchup bag except on a much larger scale.

- Sneezed at a diner table with mouth full of food, food particles flying everywhere. After umpteenth time, DW is not so amused.

- Spilling glass of wine (usually knocking it over) on carpet, sofa, ... I have a good supply of cleaning agents handy to clean up the mess afterward.

- Many of my T-shirts have coffee & juice stains which won't easily come out. They should stop making coffee mugs & glasses which suddenly jump and attack drinkers. It's hard on the glasses, too. They break on impact. Coffee and juice are not the only ones I spill. If it is in a container, I can spill. For those who read Dostoevsky's The Idiot, there is a scene that describes a similar phenomena.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Love these stories. The biggest mess I made was me.

In the summer of '74 I helped my DB move a sawmill from along the Susquehanna river to his property. The mill had been built in the '30s, operating till the '50s when it was flooded, never to be run afterwards.

The son then took over and used the roofed in areas for warehousing coal. My j*b was to dismantle all the major components, to be moved. Needless to say it was dirty. Years of grease, covered by 'flood mud', coated in coal dust. All the bolts were coated, lots of wire brushing, heating with a torch, and liquid wrench.

Spent all day there, no help, nothing to clean up with. Wiping my dirty hands on anything I could, mostly my clothes. Eating lunch was a treat, playing eat the sandwich in a baggie.

I stopped at a convenience store on the way home, people just stared at me. Looking briefly in a mirror, I was covered in coal dust, mud, glued on by grease. When I got home it was hysterical, I may as well gone head first into grease and coal dust.It took many showers to finally get that junk off of me. I appreciate the guys that mine coal for us, filthy w*rk.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #40

Not my spill but heard this on the news shortly after moving to PA:

A lot of homes around here use oil heat. The heating oil truck comes to the home and I guess puts the oil in basement tank from the outside. Well, one of the oil trucks went to the wrong address and attached their oil hose to the spout outside. Problem was, there was no tank inside. They dumped the entire oil load directly on the basement floor. I cannot begin to imagine that cleanup problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum