Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
It sounds equally as disastrous as coding "DISP=(MOD,DELETE,DELETE)" in some JCL to delete a dataset. But then after running it, realizing you put it on the wrong DD statement, and wiping out several months of Purchasing/Receiving data.

Not that I ever did anything like that

Probably the wrong forum for this, but maybe a few can appreciate it.
About 35 years ago we had a staff meeting interrupted in the middle of the afternoon by a noob systems programmer who came in and said, very sheepishly, "I believe I just deleted SYS1.PROCLIB" -- it may have been SYS1.PARMLIB -- too long ago to remember. These datasets are required to start the operating system, and as long as they are not overwritten (even if deleted) the system will run just fine. These get allocated soon after IPL and remain allocated until the next IPL, so things continued to run fine, but if we had an unscheduled IPL, we would have been in pretty deep weeds. One of the old farts in the room muttered something about the VTOC listings he had us run every day, for which we never understood the reason, followed by a muttering of "ABSTR" (which means Absolute Track Address)-- this is a report that contains the track addresses of every data set on the disk volumes. I glanced across the table at Bill mouthing ABSTR, and we flew out of our chairs. We reallocated that dataset using Absolute Track Addressing using the VTOC report the old-timer told us we would someday need. All the old data was still there. We didn't get anything close to hero status, but we did avoid a potentially long and painful computer outage for the whole company.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sweet.
Did the noob survive?

It's amazing what really motivated people can do. Can you imagine the fallout if the attempts failed. (or no one had the foresite to run the VTOC report)? "We have your data, we just don't know where it is!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Sweet.
Did the noob survive?

It's amazing what really motivated people can do. Can you imagine the fallout if the attempts failed. (or no one had the foresite to run the VTOC report)? "We have your data, we just don't know where it is!"
After a short string of similar incidents he decided he didn't like being a systems programmer and moved back to the bay area as an applications programmer at Sun -- the company that put the dot in dot.com. Funny -- the dot was actually a bubble that . . .

The company was pretty lenient but they did fire an operator who pulled the EPO switch when the CE told him to power down the machine for maintenance.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Probably the wrong forum for this, but maybe a few can appreciate it.
About 35 years ago we had a staff meeting interrupted in the middle of the afternoon by a noob systems programmer who came in and said, very sheepishly, "I believe I just deleted SYS1.PROCLIB" -- it may have been SYS1.PARMLIB -- too long ago to remember...
Reminds me of when I worked for HP in the mid 90's and we had to take a trip to one of their facilities in California. In the data center was an old HP 1000/RTE realtime computer they still used to run some of their systems (facilities systems I think).

We were all gawking at it one day, we'd never seen anything like it before, at least still running in production. I remember it had a punch tape reader on it, but I don't think they used that anymore. There was a large rack of tape reels against the wall, and it also had some disk packs (mag packs? I forget the exact terminology, it was a little before my time) attached to it.

It was humming along just fine until one day...

We were in there setting up some racks of servers for a Windows NT installation, and one of our guys had a raised floor tile removed (one of the few times I remember seeing a raised floor data center in California), and he accidentally kicked a connector loose from one of the disk packs, and didn't notice at first.

Later, some sys admins rushed in in a panic. Evidently, we had crashed it hard, the guy who knew the most about it had retired, and it had run so long without incident, nobody else knew much about it.

The next day, they had brought the retired guy in to help out, and he was PISSED. The guy who knocked out the cable apologized, but the guy ripped him a new one. I guess they got everything running again later in the day.

Our last day there, we noticed one of our NT servers was having problems, and when we started checking things out, found some of the Fibre Channel cables had been unplugged between the server and the SAN switch. Payback I guess, but we never found out for sure.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

My DS poured olive oil down the driveway at our house. (He was 12 years old, way old enough to know better). This was the summer in Atlanta, 95 degrees outside. My DH tried everything to remove it, muriatic acid, every chemical out there. That driveway smelled like french fries everyday it was warm. It still smelled like that when we moved 2 years later.