Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Are Nobel Laureates famous enough? A few of my supervisors have won Nobel Prizes after I stopped working with them and later a couple of my former students have won separate Nobel Prizes. Some other Laureates have been friends and neighbors. My name appears a few times at

Well I listed a Nobel Laureate, just cause he showed my chem class how to perform titration in the lab. So former students and former supervisor is pretty cool.

Pretty sad commentary on what are society values that there be question on them being a celebrity.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...
Totally forgot - I had an information dump session a few months ago with a guy that was a lead author on the global climate change report for which the IPCC (along with Al Gore) won a nobel. Smart guy. Fun to talk tech and science with someone who is interested and interesting. And who wants to pick your brain.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #123
Dryer sheet aficionado
Years ago my dad and I met William Shatner while we were riding horses at the LA Equestrian Center. Apparantly he keeps his horses there and we road past him along one of the trails. Shook our hands and was very friendly.
tkopel is offline   Reply With Quote
almost the same experience as photoguy
Old 07-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
almost the same experience as photoguy

Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
When I first started dating my wife, we were making out in the elevator at sunset 5 in LA only to be rudely interrupted by Ben Stiller getting on.

I was getting on a small, not often used elevator in the rear of a medical building. The door opens and there’s just two people in the elevator, making out in the corner. At first glance, I thought it might be photoguy and his wife. But, it turned out only to be Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O’Neal. I tried to hide my disappointment. Anyhow, I’ve got to say Farrah Fawcett was so cute my teeth began to ache. To be fair, Ryan O’Neal was extremely good-looking. So, there’s the three of us, them looking at me, me looking at them and they continue to make out. I only know for certain that at least one of us got off before the elevator door opened again.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.
At a "birds of a feather meeting" while working, we asked Lynn Swann, formerly of the 70s Pittsburgh Steelers to give an inspirational speech, he was president of a consulting company in Huntsville AL. That evening he joined us for some drinks and we drank a beer together, told him of a quiet guy that lived on the same dorm floor with me in 1971 that went by the name Franco Harris.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #126
I grew up and played often with Tommy Maypother .... "who's he" you ask. Tom Cruise.
FIRE'd since 2005
tryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #127
Dryer sheet wannabe
Bill Russell, John Havlicek - and a few other '66/67 Boston Celtics. My Dad flew for the guy that owned them at the time and I got to go along occasionally. Would sit on Bill Russell's lap. Also went to Bob Cousy basketball camp and shot a Converse sneakers magazine ad with him (and about a dozen other campers).
rjsob58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #128
On a spring Sunday morning in 1980, on a flight from DFW to LAX, the flight attendant stopped at my row and pointed out that Ken Curtis was sitting two rows ahead of me. She said he had asked to move to where there were two empty seats together so people could go sit and talk with him. Then she looked back and said "There's nobody with him now -- go ahead. He likes to talk to people."

Around 1997, at a BBQ place in Dallas I noticed I was in line behind a giant of a gentleman who was wearing a Red Rocks leather jacket and the guy in front of him had a John Tesh t-shirt. I scanned the dining room and picked out Connie Sellecca waiting for her lunch watching John going through the line. I got her attention and casually pointed at him (I was behind him), then pointed at her and she gave me a smile and a nod. I replied with a thumbs up, then got on with lunch.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #129
gone traveling
On a flight to Washington DC, I once sat next to Kay Bailey Hutchison (US Senator-R from Texas) in the first class section. We talked a bit off and on through-out the flight. Very nice lady and easy to talk to. We were sitting in the middle of the first class section and it seemed clear that everyone there knew who she was. When the plane landed, everyone stayed out of the aisle to let her off of the plane first. As she was leaving she turned and waved to me, so I guess everyone thought I was somebody too since they stayed out of the aisle and let me off the plane next.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets
I've seen lots of celebrities but only interacted with two. I literally walked right into - or he walked into me - Alec Baldwin in NYC. I was so miffed that I pretended not to know who he was. I sat down on some steps to fix my shoe and he turned around, I think to see if there was any delayed recognition.

I was delivering boxes to a hotel and they were obstructing my view. I was peeking around them and I heard a man yell, "Get the door". "Someone get the door for her". Someone ran around my back and opened the door and when I turned to thank him I could see that it was Gallagher (watermelon smashing comedian). Very polite!

My closest brush was being invited to meet Pauly Shore in his tour bus after a comedy show. I went with my brother to see the show and his bodyguards got between my brother and myself as we were leaving. Once my brother was outside the door they took me aside and told me that Pauly would like to meet me. I think they thought that my brother was my boyfriend. Very creepy and I said no thanks.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets
On a 6 am flight out of Jackson, MS the night after the state fair, flew with the Coasters, the Platters, and the Drifters. Asked them the most beautiful place they had ever been --Couer d'Alene. Went there 2 years later.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #132
Can't fault their taste. I live nearby...
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #133
OK, I was going to cease and desist but the thread still lives. So...
Bill Laimbeer
Bum Phillips
John Candy
Julie Christie: we were sitting next to each other having breakfast at a coffee shop (the original Duke's in the Tropicana Motel). Major Tom might know this place. Anyhow, Julie was just chatting away with me (I still wonder whom she thought I was).
Alan Ginsberg.

I think I'm done except for:
Spud Webb and Muggsy Bogues

...and Lisa Leslie and Howie Long and Charles Bronson, who every Sunday used to come into this small market I worked at and buy a pack of cigarettes. Very rugged looking. Always barefoot and in jeans. He kinda' took a liking to me and decided to let me live.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #134
Moderator Emeritus
We had dinner with an old friend last fall who invited a friend who invited the writer Elizabeth Berg. So in this case I really did shake the hand that shook the hand, but then I got to shake the hand myself.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #135
Because of my sister-in-law, I met jockey Gary Stevens, who won the Preakness this year. He's also a commentator and actor and very nice. I also met and we had dinner with jockey Mike Smith, who won the Belmont this year. He's a great guy. Both are small, but incredibly muscular. Unfortunately, when we ate dinner with Mike, he could barely have anything to eat, because he was racing the next day. That must be a very hard way to live.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.
Years ago, when I was still writing books (back in the days when people bought and read them!), I had to go on the Joan Rivers show to promote it. Let's just say that even back then, she was scary to look at close up (had had lots of 'work" done). And not exactly warm.

When I was 16, I was in an elevator at a Miami Beach hotel with members of Canned Heat (anyone remember them?). It was exciting to be in the elevator with them, but the person I would rather have met later that day was Jim Morrison (he was there performing with Canned Heat while in Miami for his obscenity trial).

DH shook hands with Al Gore at one of the VP debates. He also met Bryant Gumbel having breakfast in a Miami hotel.
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.------Krishnamurti
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I grew up alongside I-5 in Washington....Castle Rock. DB Cooper may have landed near me. OK.....I'm reaching a bit.....Nobody likely knows who DB Cooper is anyway
Kelso anyone - go Scoties! I was living in New Orleans when Mt St Helens cut loose but my parents where still there. Friend of my Dad had a private plane - we flew around it July after May eruption.

I have bought a DB Cooper baseball cap in Coougar WA in prior decades.

heh heh heh -

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote