Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What's your favorite Sci-Fi Movie?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
If we are willing to branch into Anime, "Akira" is an awesome near future sci-fi epic - and please don't call it a cartoon.
I saw it when it first came out and the quality of computer animation was way "out there". I don't know if it still has the same kind of impact in 2006, especially on a 27" TV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If we are willing to branch into Anime, "Akira" is an awesome near future sci-fi epic - and please don't call it a cartoon.

All the fans (big cult following) know the tag line, "Neo-Tokyo is about to E X P L O D E".
No CGI!

(just kidding...)

Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, it's not computer animation, hand painted cells, took 3 years to do!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, it's not computer animation, hand painted cells, took 3 years to do!
I am telling you, these humans are getting so good that pretty soon we won't be able to tell their handiwork from the real thing!*
Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Grumpy, I thought I knew you. I feel that a divide has come between us. I liked Clockwork Orange. I liked Dune.
Martha,

Don't feel bad, the Grumpy you thought you knew is really a 14 year old goth chick from West Virginia!

Grumpy (or a reasonable facsimile)

Old 07-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #46

You have to be in the mood to love A Clockwork Orange. I consider it to be more of an ultraviolent comedy than SciFi. Sort of like Reservoir Dogs. Loved them both.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
No CGI!* *
GCI?

General Communications Incorporated?
Ground Control Intercept?
General Circuit Interface?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 PM   #48

CGI = computer-generated imagery.

Oh, and another off-topic non-SciFi ultraviolent comedy that I loved: Kill Bill!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
CGI = computer-generated imagery.

Oh, and another off-topic non-SciFi ultraviolent comedy that I loved: Kill Bill!
Kill Bill is very cool, but it's not really in the Sci Fi category
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Kill Bill is very cool, but it's not really in the Sci Fi category
No, but I consider it about as SciFi as A Clockwork Orange, and even more violent.*
Old 07-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
I just got this thing for "Logan's Run".
Fara and that English cutie ?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Metropolis was visually impressive. Don't remember the story too much. Should see it again. I think the scenes of proletarian workers being slaves to a giant machine were later referenced by Charlie Chaplin.

The Shape of Things to Come had a kind of overweening plot, but the sets were wonderful. I'm a sucker for Art Deco.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Metropolis was visually impressive.* Don't remember the story too much.* Should see it again.
If you have only seen one of the cut versions, then the plot was likely incomprehensible. I watched a 90 minute version at one point and was also impressed by the visuals, but no amount of head scratching helped me sort out the plot. Years later I saw a restored 120 minute version and everything was perfectly clear since formerly missing crucial plot elements had been restored. Granted, I dind't think it was a great plot, but at least it made sense

Quote:
The Shape of Things to Come had a kind of overweening plot, but the sets were wonderful.* I'm a sucker for Art Deco.
Well, Wells was well into his preachy phase by then -- he had lost his magic touch some time in the 1900s and definitely after "The War in the Air" -- but it was still an impressive movie.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My faves: Alien, Matrix, Terminator 2
Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dune the movie was a little heavy and wordy. The director was so unhappy with it that he had the director's credit say "John Smithee", which is Hollywood for 'I don't want my name on this thing!'. The movie was easier to get through than the books (which I originally read in serial form in Analog SF magazine.)

Among the worst was Tron by Disney.

THEN, there is the first movie that Lennard Nemoy appeared in (briefly). He was a Martian with pointy ears (!) in an old black-and-white flic with a name with 'Mars' in it (I forget). Cardboard spaceships, etc.

Brazil was zany. Very dark. Very different. Disturbing. I liked it.

Another old black-and-white one that made an impression on me in my first pass at college: Alphaville. Very French--hard to follow. Film noir. Oblique dialog. Like poetry. There were a few others in that genre that I remember sequences from but the details have evaporated. (Do the French still make films?)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #56

..and no one has mentioned "Zardoz"? Along the lines of "so bad, it's almost good". Fascinating in a train wreck sort of way, tho' it's been a long time since I saw it. I think herbal supplements would assist in the viewing.

If I'd been a lesbian, Id've had Charlotte Rampling posters up on my wall in the '70s... As it was, I thought Sean was a major hunk.. but in this flick his red diaper put me off.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #57

There was an old black and white movie put out in 1936 called "Things to Come". I think H. G. Wells wrote the story. Anyway, it had us going into a second World War around Christmas Eve of 1940, a war that would drag out for decades and leave most of the world pretty desolate.

Then finally, out of the ashes, a new civilization rose up, one that would hopefully put all the fighting and bickering behind us, but it didn't work. It had some really impressive visuals for the time. I remember these futuristic bomber planes emerging from the clouds and these little WW-I artifacts trying to engage them. And then later on, the effects of them building the futuristic world, and the futurstic city shots were really cool.

Most of the history that it portrayed never came to be, but I thought it was interesting that they did predict another world war happening around 1940. I don't think they had us going into space travel until something like 2150 though.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can download "Things to Come" from the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/ThingstoCome

It seems to have fallen into the public domain.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
There was an old black and white movie put out in 1936 called "Things to Come".* *I think H. G. Wells wrote the story.
"Things to Come" the movie (1936) was based on H. G. Wells' novel "The Shape of Things to Come" (1933).

Quote:
Anyway, it had us going into a second World War around Christmas Eve of 1940, a war that would drag out for decades and leave most of the world pretty desolate.
"Future war" was a popular British genre from the 1890s on. Wells was a major contributor with "The War in the Air, and Particularly How Mr. Bert Smallways Fared While It Lasted" (1908) and "World Set Free, A Story of Mankind" (1914), in which he predicted nuclear bombs. My old pal P.G. Wodehouse satirized the genre as early as 1909 in The Swoop.

Quote:
I remember these futuristic bomber planes emerging from the clouds and these little WW-I artifacts trying to engage them.
That was a reference to the recurring nightmare of the 1930s, strategic bombing. Giulio Douhet scared the pants off many Europeans when his "The Command of the Air" became a besteller. As it turned out during WWII, he had somewhat overstated the importance of air power, but the fear of a bomber appearing out of nowhere and leveling a whole city was a major factor in 1930s culture and politics.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
..and no one has mentioned "Zardoz"? Along the lines of "so bad, it's almost good". Fascinating in a train wreck sort of way, tho' it's been a long time since I saw it. I think herbal supplements would assist in the viewing.

If I'd been a lesbian, Id've had Charlotte Rampling posters up on my wall in the '70s... As it was, I thought Sean was a major hunk.. but in this flick his red diaper put me off.
OMG, I was afraid someone would bring up Zardoz!* ** Yeah, Charlotte Rampling was hot and Sean Connery in a red diaper, well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zardoz.jpg (13.3 KB, 32 views)