Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably "Honey Pie" from the White Album.

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaR551 View Post
That has to be the most hideous performance I have seen in my life! Was she SERIOUS??
She may have improved a little over the years.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #43

My least favorite Beatles track is Revolution 9. In some ways, I don't even consider that a "song". Of all their released songs, I have never liked "Old Brown Shoe" and would say that is my least favorite.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

#9 was not a song......................more of a listen for the stone heads.

One had to be in a certain state of mind to appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #45

Do you think Revolution 9 is backward masking "I buried Paul"?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Easy choice
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Easy choice

Really enjoy them all
trouthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Oh c'mon, it at least deserves a whole bunch of points for working "balalaikas" into a pop song!

I'd have to put "USSR" into one of my top favs of the Beatles, gotta love they worked the Beach Boys sound into it.

Oh well, to each their own! Enjoy! Woops, I mean go ahead and dislike it!

-ERD50
Have any of you folks watched the documentary How the Beatles Rocked the Kremlin? It "tells the extraordinary and untold story of how the Beatles punctured the Iron Curtain...and contributed to the fall of communism."

I love the part about "ribs": bootleg Beatle records made from medical X-ray film.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
#9 was not a song......................more of a listen for the stone heads.

One had to be in a certain state of mind to appreciate it.
Yea, that's what I was thinking.... have to be in the right mood

I like all of the ones listed so far. I guess the only one that comes close to not being a favorite is "The Long and Winding Road" doesn't even sound like Beatles to me... something Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett would sing.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Yea, that's what I was thinking.... have to be in the right mood

I like all of the ones listed so far. I guess the only one that comes close to not being a favorite is "The Long and Winding Road" doesn't even sound like Beatles to me... something Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett would sing.
I once had a bootleg recording of Paul singing accompanied solely by his piano. It sounded much better without the whole orchestra bit. (who knows where that record disappeared to?).
Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

I once had a bootleg recording of Paul singing accompanied solely by his piano. It sounded much better without the whole orchestra bit. (who knows where that record disappeared to?).
"Let It Be..Naked" released about 10 years ago, has a stripped down version of it without the orchestra. Paul redid this album to rid it of all the add ons he didn't like as the group didn't have much to do with the original album production as they were about to break up then. "Wings Over America" concert tour was recently released in DVD Bluray has a nice version too live, though it's with Wings.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Blame Phil Spector and his "wall of sound" for Let It Be...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #52

George Harrison's single that came out in the 90's "I've Got my Mind Set on You". But let me say I liked his "My Sweet Lord" phase immensely. A lot of John Lennon's solo stuff was great, also, imho.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Do you think Revolution 9 is backward masking "I buried Paul"?
I spent many an hour playing Beatles albums backwards, and ruined a lot of good needles and LPs.

As I remember, the words "Number nine" in the song come out something like "Turn me on, dead man" when played backwards.

If memory serves, the clearest case of backwards masking on a Beatles record is the gibberish between "I'm So Tired" and "Blackbird" on the White Album. Played backwards it says, pretty clearly, "Paul is dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him."

BTW, is the White Album now the White CD? Or the White Playlist?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
BTW, is the White Album now the White CD? Or the White Playlist?
I know you're being somewhat playful, but it's still, informally, "The White Album"; as it's an album--a collection--of songs. Its format hasn't changed that moniker.
Officially, the name of the record (yes, record, as in shorthand for "recording"--whether wax, glass, vinyl or digital format) has always been The Beatles.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #55

After listening to all 4 sides of the White Album while working out, I can say that it has at least 8 of my least favorite Beatle songs. Was it a "throw something together" album by them? The second side of Abbey Road has more great songs than all 4 sides of that album.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
After listening to all 4 sides of the White Album while working out, I can say that it has at least 8 of my least favorite Beatle songs. Was it a "throw something together" album by them? The second side of Abbey Road has more great songs than all 4 sides of that album.
It wasn't necessarily a "throw something together" album. But producer George Martin did say that it would have been a fantastic single LP album, using only the better tracks. (Beatle fans to this day often debate which 12-14 tracks would comprise that great album.)

By then, mid-1968, The Beatles were beginning to no longer work as a team on a lot of stuff. John, Paul and George were coming in with essentially solo songs that they either worked on mostly alone (see Paul's "Mother Nature's Son" for example) or had some input from the others as "sidemen." This became even more painfully obvious with their next batch of recordings early in 1969, which became the album Let It Be--released over a year later. They just about broke up at that time--with all the acrimony.

But they decided to make one more go at writing and recording as a team again, resulting in Abbey Road. Then they broke up a few months later, in April 1970, after doing some late "clean up" work for Let It Be earlier that year.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

They are and where amazing in so many ways. They are still hits really big hits today. Glad to be part of that time more than groovy.
trouthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #58

Funny this thread would pop up today. I had the Beatles on my mind, because I caught an episode of "Petticoat Junction" yesterday where they were spoofing them.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always kind of been irritated by the Hey Jude type of song.....starts great....then repeats itself into oblivion.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I've always kind of been irritated by the Hey Jude type of song.....starts great....then repeats itself into oblivion.
There you go! I could complain about some obscure early tracks, or perhaps some of George's eastern influence stuff. But let me call out a big hit. It would be Hey Jude.

Conversely, I like just about everything on The White Album, even the throw away stuff.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote