Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I've always kind of been irritated by the Hey Jude type of song.....starts great....then repeats itself into oblivion.
It was novel to us Baby Boomers when it came out in 1968. The long coda was new and fun. (Paul's ad libs during that long ending helped make that long coda interesting to many of us Beatle fans.) Hearing "Hey Jude" a million times since then is a different story.

Funny that there were a few songs recorded that mid-1968 that had those long codas--including Donovan's "Atlantis" and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
It was novel to us Baby Boomers when it came out in 1968. The long coda was new and fun. (Paul's ad libs during that long ending helped make that long coda interesting to many of us Beatle fans.) Hearing "Hey Jude" a million times since then is a different story. Funny that there were a few songs recorded that mid-1968 that had those long codas--including Donovan's "Atlantis" and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."
"Hey Jude" was my favorite Beatles album. Odd because it wasn't really an album, just a collection of singles that were never on an album. They did some crazy stuff back then in relation to albums, singles, and distribution. Abbey Road, Hey Jude, and Let It Be were all released within less than 8 months total time. Despite being an English band, if you lived there, you had to import that album because it wasn't distributed in England when it was originally released.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
#9 was not a song......................more of a listen for the stone heads.

One had to be in a certain state of mind to appreciate it.

Off top of my head, #9 is the least favorite of mine. Can't get into any state with that song other than just mindlessly repeating number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, .....
Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
They did some crazy stuff back then in relation to albums, singles, and distribution. Abbey Road, Hey Jude, and Let It Be were all released within less than 8 months total time....
And don't forget the Yellow Submarine soundtrack, which was also released during that window: in January 1969. Lots of Beatles' music (and video) came out during that time to keep all us fans busy and happy.

BTW: if you're tired of hearing "Hey Jude" listen to the version done in a minor scale:
Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Just about anything written by John Lennon (one exception, Grow Old Along With Me). My brother can't understand how I am not a Beatles fan, "they started it all". Well, I prefer Paul's melodies and John probably wrote 1/2 of the songs, so it's easier to say I don't like the Beatles. I do like Paul McCartney music...including that written while he was a Beatle, even though the credits are to both him and John...

Now, I love most of the British Invasion music so I guess I am just weird.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
And she (at age 80!) remains "mildly annoying" with her current version of the Plastic Ono Band (with son Sean Lennon):
Wow, just seeing this. Sorry I did.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Anything they did with Ravi Shankar (sp?)
Old 12-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Anything they did with Ravi Shankar (sp?)
I don't know if you spelled it correctly, but it is definitely close enough to know who you are talking about. To each his own, but I agree with you 100%!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I don't know if you spelled it correctly, but it is definitely close enough to know who you are talking about. To each his own, but I agree with you 100%!
I think he was Norah Jones' dad, which makes him A-OK in my book.

I am the youngest of three and I remember standing around in the family room pretending we were The Beatles. We argued about who was who. I was John - guess that never left!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #70

Why don't we do it in the Road

It's annoying.