What's Your Least Favorite Beatles Song?

George Harrison's single that came out in the 90's "I've Got my Mind Set on You". But let me say I liked his "My Sweet Lord" phase immensely. A lot of John Lennon's solo stuff was great, also, imho.

Do you think Revolution 9 is backward masking "I buried Paul"?

I spent many an hour playing Beatles albums backwards, and ruined a lot of good needles and LPs.

As I remember, the words "Number nine" in the song come out something like "Turn me on, dead man" when played backwards.

If memory serves, the clearest case of backwards masking on a Beatles record is the gibberish between "I'm So Tired" and "Blackbird" on the White Album. Played backwards it says, pretty clearly, "Paul is dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him."

BTW, is the White Album now the White CD? Or the White Playlist?

BTW, is the White Album now the White CD? Or the White Playlist?
I know you're being somewhat playful, but it's still, informally, "The White Album"; as it's an album--a collection--of songs. Its format hasn't changed that moniker.
Officially, the name of the record (yes, record, as in shorthand for "recording"--whether wax, glass, vinyl or digital format) has always been The Beatles.

After listening to all 4 sides of the White Album while working out, I can say that it has at least 8 of my least favorite Beatle songs. Was it a "throw something together" album by them? The second side of Abbey Road has more great songs than all 4 sides of that album.

After listening to all 4 sides of the White Album while working out, I can say that it has at least 8 of my least favorite Beatle songs. Was it a "throw something together" album by them? The second side of Abbey Road has more great songs than all 4 sides of that album.
It wasn't necessarily a "throw something together" album. But producer George Martin did say that it would have been a fantastic single LP album, using only the better tracks. (Beatle fans to this day often debate which 12-14 tracks would comprise that great album.)

By then, mid-1968, The Beatles were beginning to no longer work as a team on a lot of stuff. John, Paul and George were coming in with essentially solo songs that they either worked on mostly alone (see Paul's "Mother Nature's Son" for example) or had some input from the others as "sidemen." This became even more painfully obvious with their next batch of recordings early in 1969, which became the album Let It Be--released over a year later. They just about broke up at that time--with all the acrimony.

But they decided to make one more go at writing and recording as a team again, resulting in Abbey Road. Then they broke up a few months later, in April 1970, after doing some late "clean up" work for Let It Be earlier that year.

Last edited:
They are and where amazing in so many ways. They are still hits really big hits today. Glad to be part of that time more than groovy.

Funny this thread would pop up today. I had the Beatles on my mind, because I caught an episode of "Petticoat Junction" yesterday where they were spoofing them.

I've always kind of been irritated by the Hey Jude type of song.....starts great....then repeats itself into oblivion.

I've always kind of been irritated by the Hey Jude type of song.....starts great....then repeats itself into oblivion.

There you go! I could complain about some obscure early tracks, or perhaps some of George's eastern influence stuff. But let me call out a big hit. It would be Hey Jude.

Conversely, I like just about everything on The White Album, even the throw away stuff.

It was novel to us Baby Boomers when it came out in 1968. The long coda was new and fun. (Paul's ad libs during that long ending helped make that long coda interesting to many of us Beatle fans.) Hearing "Hey Jude" a million times since then is a different story.

Funny that there were a few songs recorded that mid-1968 that had those long codas--including Donovan's "Atlantis" and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

DONOVAN- ATLANTIS - YouTube
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil -HQ - YouTube

It was novel to us Baby Boomers when it came out in 1968. The long coda was new and fun. (Paul's ad libs during that long ending helped make that long coda interesting to many of us Beatle fans.) Hearing "Hey Jude" a million times since then is a different story. Funny that there were a few songs recorded that mid-1968 that had those long codas--including Donovan's "Atlantis" and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil." DONOVAN- ATLANTIS - YouTube The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil -HQ - YouTube

"Hey Jude" was my favorite Beatles album. Odd because it wasn't really an album, just a collection of singles that were never on an album. They did some crazy stuff back then in relation to albums, singles, and distribution. Abbey Road, Hey Jude, and Let It Be were all released within less than 8 months total time. Despite being an English band, if you lived there, you had to import that album because it wasn't distributed in England when it was originally released.

#9 was not a song......................more of a listen for the stone heads.

One had to be in a certain state of mind to appreciate it.

Off top of my head, #9 is the least favorite of mine. Can't get into any state with that song other than just mindlessly repeating number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, .....

They did some crazy stuff back then in relation to albums, singles, and distribution. Abbey Road, Hey Jude, and Let It Be were all released within less than 8 months total time....
And don't forget the Yellow Submarine soundtrack, which was also released during that window: in January 1969. Lots of Beatles' music (and video) came out during that time to keep all us fans busy and happy.

BTW: if you're tired of hearing "Hey Jude" listen to the version done in a minor scale:

Last edited:
Just about anything written by John Lennon (one exception, Grow Old Along With Me). My brother can't understand how I am not a Beatles fan, "they started it all". Well, I prefer Paul's melodies and John probably wrote 1/2 of the songs, so it's easier to say I don't like the Beatles. I do like Paul McCartney music...including that written while he was a Beatle, even though the credits are to both him and John...

Now, I love most of the British Invasion music so I guess I am just weird.

Anything they did with Ravi Shankar (sp?)

I don't know if you spelled it correctly, but it is definitely close enough to know who you are talking about. To each his own, but I agree with you 100%!

I don't know if you spelled it correctly, but it is definitely close enough to know who you are talking about. To each his own, but I agree with you 100%!

I think he was Norah Jones' dad, which makes him A-OK in my book.

I am the youngest of three and I remember standing around in the family room pretending we were The Beatles. We argued about who was who. I was John - guess that never left! ;)

Back
Top Bottom